Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Jul 12, 2006, 5:09 AM   #51

I got my fuji back and it took them 10 days to repair ... it would have cost 2,600 NT$ (60 euro, 80 US$) here in Taiwan in an independend repair shop ... 6 days for the spare parts to arrive and two days to repair and send back to the shop, ok that's eight but including the weekend is ten ...

Below the piece they replaced, look at the command dial shaft that's missing, it should be the same as the other shaft (mode control) that's visible ...

belgian pie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2006, 4:45 AM   #52

Excellent work Belgian Pie and just what many of us have been waiting for!
Now the problem becomes clear and proving the theory of mechanical failure rather than any other cause.
Did Fuji mention anything about a modified/improved part being fitted to your camera?
There is another thread or two at dpreview.com and I am sure posters there would be very glad to see the photographs you have made available here so it might be worthwhile posting the information there also.
Many, many thanks.
Best regards,
David

dgosden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2006, 5:52 AM   #53

I didn't talk to Fuji directly but to the dealer that sold the cam to me and he said he'd sent it to an independend repairshop ... That's why I got the part I guess.

I bought this cam without the 3 year international warranty ... gray import they call it ... so, the dealer argued first that there was no warranty at all and I had to cough up the money but later he relented as I threatened him I would contact fuji and the consumer protection agency in Taiwan ... hey the cam was 47 days old and it broke down. Probably because I used it extensively during that short period ... I suspect that in the near future more users or going to have this part failing as they probably use it less frequent.

But finally we ended up in good understanding as I told him I was thinking about buying the new Sony Alpha ... :-)
Old Jul 19, 2006, 7:19 AM   #54

I too suffered from the command dial failure. It happened out of the blue. One picture it worked fine, the next picture, a few minutes later, and it stopped working. I've sent it back for repair and await hearing from the Fuji repair facility in New Jersey. Although I'm a little bit peeved about losing full functionality in the middle of a "once in a lifetime" vacation, I was able to use it in "Programmed" mode and with judicious use of a hand in front of the lens to partially block light and use of the EV-lock button I was able to get most of the pics I wanted-the way I wanted them.

What irks me the most is that I had to spend $14 to ship it to them, to fix a problem that appears to be common among owners who use the command dial a lot. I shoot almost exclusively in "Manual" mode, so the command dial gets a real workout. Anyone have any suggestions as to how to get Fuji to foot the bill for retuning a defective camera? It seems to me that the consumer shouldn't have to pay to get a $500 camera fixed when there's a known defect in the product.
Wolverine@MSU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2006, 11:05 AM   #55

Lawyers call it a class action suit :-)
Old Jul 19, 2006, 12:23 PM   #56

Is there perhaps a lawyer among S9X00 users who might take on such a task?
Wolverine@MSU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2006, 5:27 PM   #57

The command dial packed in on my 9500 last week. I was adjusting the exposure settings and it just packed in.

The dial rotates and makes some nice click's but does nothing.

I havelost allconfidence with the reliability of this camera and have decided to get rid of it and buy something else.

I hope to find some mug to buy it after it's repaired.

Scottishpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2006, 1:12 PM   #58

After more than 4000 shots my command dial stops working. I can here it "clicks" when I turn it, but it did not change the manual settings.
hazarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2006, 4:47 AM   #59

My Command Dial failed 5 days ago, suddenly. I used it a lot for manual shots with tripod...
srkiller2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2006, 5:16 AM   #60

Everyday we get more broken command dials complaints ... it's obvious that the fault is with Fuji ... and a whole batch of it ... and is the repair a good one or is it going to fail soon again?

I wonder that Fuji didn't have a press releas about this failure, they should take the blame ...:G