Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Aug 4, 2006, 2:05 PM   #81

hi all , the more I read about this issue regarding the command dial the more I am finding Im simply not using this feature on my camera and this is a sad state of affairs.

hence I have justcontacted fuji hq asking them what reasurances they can provide that there isnt a known problem with this camera.I used a contact form available on fuji.com website...

http://www.fujifilm.com/mail/form.cg...44-59899-54331

can I make the suggestion that everyone who has this camera and has concerns emails fuji letting them know that this issue is detracting from their usage and enjoyment of the camera...

it may help to bring this matter to ahead

cheers

harry
henryhtc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2006, 2:17 PM   #82

I agree.... it appears that the Command Dial will break eventually and what assurance is there from Fuji that when the warranty runs out they will be there to help- no charge.

Maybe they have fixed the problem, so it would be nice to know what range of serial numbers this affects.

I know I will be pushing my Command Dial hard at all times hoping it fails during the warranty.

bill soper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2006, 7:46 AM   #83

Might I suggest that all owners of the S9000/S9500 "work on" the command dial until it does break. Since it appears that this is a design flaw, that will eventually rear its nasty head in all cameras, it might be useful for owners to turn the heck out of the dial until it breaks. Unless Fuji is willing to extend the warranty for this defect, or issue a recall, I think it might be wise for owners to "experience" this problem before their warranty runs out. After mine was fixed, I noticed a much more rugged feel in the command dial. I still have about four months left on my 1-year original warranty, and plan to give the command dial a "thorough" workout before that time.
Wolverine@MSU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2006, 7:02 AM   #84

[email protected] wrote:
Quote:
I got my S9000 back yesterday from repair of command dial.
Quote:
I had also mentioned in my "work order" that it was a bit out of focus from one side to the other. Haven't tested yet to see whether they fixed that. I doubt it since it wasn't listed on the repair order invoice they returned to me.
Well, I finally got around to taking some test shots (to calibrate Neat Image) and I noticed that when shooting at f 8 and higher, I seeblack smudges on the right side that get more noticable as the aperture is closed.They stay in the same place in every frame and they weren't there beforeI sent the camera back for command dial repair. Front of the lens is perfectly clean, so I can only conclude that it's specks of dust on the sensor. It was supposedly "checked" by a technician before being returned, but I don't see how something as obvious as this could have been missed.

The sharpness seems to be OK across the entire frame from corner to corner. Shot test frames of resolution targets that covered the entire frame. Moved the camera to test different focal lengths, and while a bit soft at wide ange, at least it's the same at each corner.

I'm calling Fuji back today and will probably have to send it back in (at their expense I presume). Anyone else had this kind of problem (dark spots)?
Old Aug 31, 2006, 9:51 AM   #85

Fuji S9500 - broken command dial. Serial number 54Q34312.
Was working perfectly then suddenly stoped. Cammera nor dropped etc, dial just stopped working.
So I took it to bits to have a look, and as predicted by many here - the dial shaft is snapped. Can't see how to repair something like that with simple home tools so looks like back to Fuji.
Maybe I should print off all these 5 pages of posts about this so they might start to take it as a serious problem.
Cheers,
The Dude

PS Image taken with a Nikon D1X - get one, they're indestructable. [img]images/emoticons/laughing-smiley-002.gif[/img]
Attached Images

The Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2006, 2:44 PM   #86

Man that's bad news.....

Thanks for posting a pic of the insides. Now we all see the problem. Fuji... hello....!

Look how big the shaft is for the MODE switch.....

What crappy engineering to have a shaft so thin when the COMMAND dial defelects so far when pushed on.

I'm willing to bet it's the side loading that's killing these things.

Old Aug 31, 2006, 3:47 PM   #87

Somehow I am startled that there are folks here who promote 'working the command dial hard', in hopes it will break, during the warranty period. I also wonder if 'the dude' voided his warranty by opening up the camera. It would be nice if manufacturers accepted responsibility, for all 'perceived design flaws', by consumers, but I doubt that will happen, at least in my lifetime.

Rather than being rough and hard, working a device till it breaks, I would think the wise thing would be to treat it more gently ... be conscious of ones handling and use of the device. Seems the wise course, from my view of the forest anyway.

I hope no other user experiences this failure.
MikeC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2006, 6:34 PM   #88

Well in this case I would have to disagree..... Most people here say they handle the camera with normal care. ( I do treat all electronics with care)

I slugged a Canon A1, 35mm camera around the world and it's still going strong after ~30 yrs. normal handling but certainly not the kid glove treatment.

If I have to start giving a camera the "special treatment", then it's time to find one that is more robust.

So if Fuji is repairing these cameras with a better encoder wheel, bigger shaft, then you can bet I'm going to bust this sucker before the warranty is up.

I wonder if the new S-9100/9600 has addressed this issue....
Old Sep 2, 2006, 6:54 AM   #89

MikeC wrote:
Quote:
Somehow I am startled that there are folks here who promote 'working the command dial hard', in hopes it will break, during the warranty period.

Rather than being rough and hard, working a device till it breaks, I would think the wise thing would be to treat it more gently ... be conscious of ones handling and use of the device. Seems the wise course, from my view of the forest anyway.

I hope no other user experiences this failure.
I would rather have it break during the warranty period than after. I don't know what Fuji would charge to repair one out of warranty but I suspect that it would be close to $100 or so. I have a feeling there are going to be a lot of disgruntled S9000/9500 owners who are going to get socked with this repair bill unless Fuji extends the warranty period for this defect.

I too hada Canon SLR film camera (FTb) that has withstood 30 years of use and taken tens of thousands of photos. It still works fine and has never been to the repair shop. As for hoping that no other users experience the command dial failure, you can hope in one hand and poop in the other......... see which one fills up first.

Old Sep 2, 2006, 3:44 PM   #90

My s9000 command dial quit working last night, while I was taking pictures of the marching band at a high school football game. I posted on dpreview asking about similar problems, and I was directed to this thread.

Unfortunately, I don't have a suitable back up camera and need to be able to take picures every Friday night for the next couple of months, so until marching band season is over in November (or December if the football team has a good year!), I'll be shooting with my s9000 as asuper-zoom point and shoot :sad:

I bought my camera in March, so it is still clearly under warranty (and will be when I'm able to send it in). I'm glad I purchased the 5 year warranty!

I guess I could dig out my reliable, 25 year old Pentax k1000...
Carolt is offline   Reply With Quote