Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Mar 20, 2006, 6:09 AM   #1

Just a note that another apparently faulty Command dial has been reported on DPR - must admit I'm keeping a close eye on mine since I think there have now been4 or 5 similar problems reported.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=17683624

Worth keeping an eye on, I think.
SteveDak is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 20, 2006, 9:12 AM   #2

Hey Steve,

Here is the thread link that you could not find plus the follow up thread:

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...c.php?id=78361

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...c.php?id=81011

shadowlies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2006, 9:40 AM   #3

Hey thanks Shadow, Could have sworn there was also a post by Nic on DPR to the same effect but obviously not. See somebody else has subsequently reported another command dial problem over there. Definitely watching mine closely now but will probably end upchecking it so much that itis bound to fall off!

Any news on your camera yet?

Abysmal performance by us in the 1st Five Day test I rather thought - but thanks for having the sensitivity not tomention it :G(our Super 14 Rugby effort isn't doing much better either)
Old Mar 20, 2006, 10:22 PM   #4

I have not had any more emails in regards to my camera after I asked what was the actual problem. Hmmmm... should I have expected anything else?

In regards to the cricket, don't worry if I had heard any reports on the cricket I would have commented.:GThey are not televising any of the cricket on commercial tv. My only source of info is on the internet or pay tv. Don't worry more tests to come for you to show us how it is done.
shadowlies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2006, 4:45 AM   #5

SteveDak wrote:
Quote:
Just a note that another apparently faulty Command dial has been reported on DPR - must admit I'm keeping a close eye on mine since I think there have now been4 or 5 similar problems reported.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=17683624

Worth keeping an eye on, I think.
That was my camera Steve was referring to. It has been sent in for repairs.
Worst part of it is that I was treating my camera with kid gloves as I knew about this problem. What's the answer? I don't know. It is one of those controls you use quite often. Just can't avoid using it. Unless you shoot in Auto all the time.
Edster77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2006, 7:50 AM   #6

Sorry to hear that was yours Ed (didn't make theconnection across the way at DPR),

Point is, you shouldn't have to be trying to avoid using it just because you are concerned it might break! The Command Dial is fundamental to the operation of the camera and in my case probably gets as much use as the shutter button orzoom ring(if not more).The darn thing should have been designed to withstand considerable use - I think it's becoming clear that there might well be a fault with this component. Don't think it is in the design from what I saw of Nick's 'exploded' view, more likely to be in the material employed in its manufacture would be my guess.

Like you, I've been very careful with mine but your experience suggests that that might not be enough. Think I'll bang off a mail to Fuji and ask for their comment. Silly for such a good camera to be let down by as simple a thing as the Command Dial. If I remember correctly, one of the Canon models has been suffering a similar malady.

Old Mar 22, 2006, 10:00 AM   #7

Hi Steve,

When I looked at the pictures of the command dial from earlier posts, I came to the conclusion that it was likely a design and manufacturing process fault, with the largest part of the blame falling on the plastic extrusion process not being always carried out properly. That being said, I feel that better quality control at Fujimaybe couldhave picked this up by a visual inspection of the pieces prior to installation, but even visual inspection does not always find such faults. Case in point, I was assembling some low voltage garden lighting lamps this weekend, all of the pieces looked fine, but a couple of caps split in half whenpushed over the end of the tube they were capping. I think Fuji needs to quickly remedy the problems that occur with individual cameras (and they likely will) and perhaps change the manufacturing process/designor at the very least impose extremely stringent quality control for the command dial parts.

Clyde
Clyde Atkinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2006, 3:00 PM   #8

Hi Clyde, Icertainly agree with you on the plastics side but from whatI could make out from Nick's 'exploded' ( :G) views and the feel I get from mine, I don't think it really sustains that much load especially as the four lugs under the dial face seem to be the main load bearing part of the design. I can only think that the constant clockwise and anti-clockwise motion of the dial is causing a backward & forward twisting moment on the mainshaft, and slowly stressing it. Might be wrong on that - would be nice tobe able to take one apart, but I'm not about to offer my camera up for science:-). Can't see all four lugs shearing either, but I suppose that could happen progressively if the moulding was really shabby.

I think the fact that there have now beenat leastfive similar reports, by my count at least, does indicate that it's not just a one-off type of incident. As with such things though, I should imagine it would be confined to a particular batch run of the component.

Have to confess that I do tend to 'ease' my Command dial through it'spaces, in deferance to the above

Old Apr 1, 2006, 11:13 PM   #9

This is not a april fools gag! I was testing my 9000 out and when i was turning my command dial all of a sudden it no longer functions. I also was very careful do to the info from other users. Just thought i would add to the list. This is for sure a problem and i hope will be fixed correctly not to be reacuring. I had a 602 prior but was very happy with the 9000 untill this. But i will send it in and hopefully everything will be ok when i get it back. Was purchased in feb 06
fujiuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2006, 9:55 PM   #10

My Command Dial has suddenly stopped working!!. It jus revolves without doing anything. It has not dropped off or anything so drastic. I bought the camera in dec. 2005 and have after(enjoyably) going through the learning curve have been one of those owners who believes this to be an execellent camera. I have taken about 2500 photos with the s9500, mostly using the manual settings so the command dial is the most used control on the camera.

The dial stopped working the second day on the ski slopes (temperature around 0.C). Due to a handicap (MS) I do not now ski myself but was filming the kids on the slalom slopes and constantly using the multiple fast shooting modes and braketing as the weather often changes between snow and bright sunshine. The camera has always been well treated with me as the only user.

To be honest I cannot say that the dial feels any different as it turns. The only uncertainty I noticed is when I use the dial it often has taken 2 or three clicks to make a single adjustment for example to shift the aperture up one stop. I had just accepted thats the way it is and just flick it up and down. I would be interested in feedback on this from other owners. Does one click equal one adjustment of aperture or shutter speed? or maybe my camera has always been faulty.

I will contact Fuji tomorrow in Oslo. Their repair shop is in Bergen (where I live and I have already agreed to deliver it by hand to them). I will hold you informed of progress). I do hope this is a one off problem. I am very interestedto hear of other people with this problemalso from those who have taken thousands of photos with constant use of manual settings and have no problems with the command dial.

By the way, for those critics of the s9500. Try sitting in a stool in the Norwegian mountains (at 0.C) for 4-5 hours using a DLSR and constantly taking panoramic pictures of the whole mountainside (at 28mm) one minute then zooming in (at 300mm + 2 xoptical zoom) to capture one of the kids flying down the slopeson their snowboard or slalom skis. Futhermore whip the camera into movie mode to capture our 3 year old coming down the tobogan slopes. (the quality of the movies appear to be as good as my sony video kamera when we downloaded them at home). Also for those who question this cameras auto mode (P and S) capabilities, I continued the last 3 days ofour Easter holiday with reasonable results without the ability to use any manual modes.

There is no doubt that this camera takes a lot of beating I just hope it is not flawed by bad quality. I expect the next command dial to last 5 years or Fuji will be getting it back under Norwegian sales law as "not fit for the purpose it was designed (and advertised) for.

Will keep you posted

David
davrus is offline   Reply With Quote