Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Mar 20, 2006, 12:17 PM   #1

Hi all,

I am new to this forum and I have just bought a FinePix S5200.

I am running WIndows XP and I have no other issues with t computer.

I keep getting a error message:

F:\ is not accessible

The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error

I have looked all over the internet for solutions, downloaded the newest drivers and also tried the autoplay.exe and nothing seems to work. I downloadedFuji's software that came with the camera and then like it says, connected the camera AFTER installing the software. I am running out of ideas and fuji says it's not their problem and that the camera is functioning properly, in which I agree. PLEASE HELP I AM AT MY WITS END !!!

Thanks for any and all replies, Duane
dudewayne69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 20, 2006, 1:09 PM   #2

Check that your camera is NOT in a PICTBRIDGE mode (MENU -> SET-UP -> USB MODE -> DSC mode).

HTH
algold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2006, 2:42 PM   #3

Yes, it appears that your USB mode has been changed. Something else you might consider would be to get a card reader. You simply plug it into one of your USB ports and insert the card. With Windows XP there are no drivers or any other installation required. Very sample and straightforward.
jphess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2006, 2:51 PM   #4

Thanks for thr reply ...it is in DSC mode though........?

What else could it be ?

Thanks Again, Duane
Old Mar 20, 2006, 3:04 PM   #5

I apologize in advance for asking dumb questions, but just in case:

Is there a card in the camera? Does it have images on it?
Are you switching the camera to the proper switch position?
Have you been able to successfully download images in the past?
Are you able to review the pictures in the camera?
jphess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2006, 5:45 PM   #6

Actually, Win XP doesn't need ANY special driver to recognize a storage device such as a Fuji camera with a memory card inside. Check the connections and try to connect it to another USB port (preferably not to an USB hub) on your computer and switch your camera into playback mode. Your computer has to recognize a new mass storage device and install the appropriate driver for it. Does the indicator lamp blinking when you connect your camera to your PC and what appears on the camera's LCD?
algold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2006, 5:56 PM   #7

dude,

When you have your camera plugged into a USB port on a computer running XP, shortly after you turn the camera on (about 3 seconds), you should get a popup window asking you, "What do you want windows to do?" If you have the Fuji software installed, the popup window will be titled, "FinePix (letter of drive)". The window will give you several different options. The LCD on your camera should say, "USB".

If you don't get the popup window, your computer is not recognizing the USB port. If your camera doesn't say "USB", it's a camera problem.

Double click on "My Computer"...is there a new drive letter listed? Does it say "FinePix (letter of drive)"? If it does, you can upload your pictures this way. If not, try a different USB port on your computer.

If that doesn't work, try plugging your camera into another computer - one that you know works with another camera. If your camera works there, it's a problem with your computer.

In most cases, the problem is with the computer, not the camera.

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2006, 7:41 PM   #8

rinniethehun wrote:
Quote:
dude,

When you have your camera plugged into a USB port on a computer running XP, shortly after you turn the camera on (about 3 seconds), you should get a popup window asking you, "What do you want windows to do?" If you have the Fuji software installed, the popup window will be titled, "FinePix (letter of drive)". The window will give you several different options. The LCD on your camera should say, "USB".

If you don't get the popup window, your computer is not recognizing the USB port. If your camera doesn't say "USB", it's a camera problem.

Double click on "My Computer"...is there a new drive letter listed? Does it say "FinePix (letter of drive)"? If it does, you can upload your pictures this way. If not, try a different USB port on your computer.

If that doesn't work, try plugging your camera into another computer - one that you know works with another camera. If your camera works there, it's a problem with your computer.

In most cases, the problem is with the computer, not the camera.

the Hun
Quote:
The Hun,
Quote:
Thanks fo rthe reply, I have tried everything that you have said, I get a drive it's labeled F:\ Which is cool but when I double click it open it , it comes up with the I/O device error, I have tried it on 3 differerent USB ports directly on the 'puter and nothing. I have also tried to install the camera after removing everything Fuji and I get the same error......AAARRRGGGH !
Quote:
JPHESS......
Quote:
Thanks for the reply also,
Quote:
Is there a card in the camera? YESDoes it have images on it? YES
Quote:
Are you switching the camera to the proper switch position? YES
Quote:
Have you been able to successfully download images in the past? It is brand new right out of the box
Quote:
Are you able to review the pictures in the camera? yes no problem.....
Quote:
FUJI IS NO HELP..............AAARRRGGGH !
Quote:
I am joing every digital camera site there is !
Quote:
Thanksyour time and trying to get me throught this guys !
Quote:
Old Mar 20, 2006, 7:42 PM   #9

Quote:
The Hun,
Quote:
Thanks fo rthe reply, I have tried everything that you have said, I get a drive it's labeled F: Which is cool but when I double click it open it , it comes up with the I/O device error, I have tried it on 3 differerent USB ports directly on the 'puter and nothing. I have also tried to install the camera after removing everything Fuji and I get the same error......AAARRRGGGH !
Quote:
JPHESS......
Quote:
Thanks for the reply also,
Quote:
Is there a card in the camera? YESDoes it have images on it? YES
Quote:
Are you switching the camera to the proper switch position? YES
Quote:
Have you been able to successfully download images in the past? It is brand new right out of the box
Quote:
Are you able to review the pictures in the camera? yes no problem.....
Quote:
FUJI IS NO HELP..............AAARRRGGGH !
Quote:
I am joing every digital camera site there is !
Quote:
Thanksyour time and trying to get me throught this guys !
Quote:
Old Mar 20, 2006, 8:42 PM   #10

Just A thought. Is your USB port 2.0 or 1.1? Is the s5200 1.1 our 2.0?

If the camera is 2.0 and the computer is 1.1 there is yourproblem.

Kevin
KEV61 is offline   Reply With Quote