Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

View Poll Results: 3800 or s602? which is better for the description in the thread?
3800 1 14.29%
s602 6 85.71%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Old Apr 5, 2003, 12:55 AM   #1

Default 3800 vs s602, need some reassurance

I'm looking for a digital camera for my dad. We're deciding between a 3800 or a s602. Looking at the features of each, I'm leaning towards the 3800 but he's leaning towards the s602. He wants a lot of features but pretty much i think he's just going to use it for point and shoot only, that and there are a lot of similar features such as the 6x optical zoom which was the biggest deciding factor over all the other cameras out there. one of the things i'm trying to take into account is the difference in technology.

the 3800 is using a xd card, and the s602 the smartmedia and microdrive. i did a quick search and i like the sound of the xd cards, the microdrive i think is going to be overkill for the use this camera will see.

one thing my dad likes is the size of the s602, his first impressions of the 3800 are that it's too small and sort of feels like a toy. it's also a bit better on paper, but i think for what he's going to use it for, it's not all necessary.

i was just hoping some people could give some feedback just for some reassurance. either one he will be happy with, it's picking one that's difficult right now.
viperman413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 5, 2003, 1:24 AM   #2

For my second cam I too looked at the 3800 but I decided on the 602 and what a camera. One can shoot it as an automatic now and learn the features as their experience grows. Iím sure the 3800 will do a nice job but with a fixed ISO of 100 you are locked in to limited settings. With the 602 the settings are almost limitless. Go for the 602, youíll be glad you did.
rritter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2003, 7:12 PM   #3

rritter, thanks for the advice. i'm also concerned because by the time my dad wants to learn the extra features, fuji will have probably put out another camera by then with better technology. and knowing my dad, once he sees the newer one he'll want to buy it. also i'm not sure if he'll want to spend the extra 200 or so if he won't be able to learn all of the features of the 3800 by the time the 4th generation ccds come out. pretty much my side of it is he needs something to start out with.
Old Apr 6, 2003, 8:22 PM   #4

Sounds like buying a computer, you know buying the best today and having it become a dinosaur in the coming weeks. Technology will always bring us newer, faster, better but if we wait we will always be waiting. Both cameras will serve you well and yes there is a replacement planed for the 602. See my post http://www.stevesforums.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=8186

Good luck and I hope your dad enjoys his new camera what ever you decide on.
R. Ritter
rritter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2003, 4:58 AM   #5

Quote:
Iím sure the 3800 will do a nice job but with a fixed ISO of 100 you are locked in to limited settings.
This is why you should look at the 602. There are plenty of posts here about trying to shoot and focus in low light! Actually getting a shot should be at the top of your list. 1600ASA will get you a fair 1Mpix pic in a concert, no flash - try that with a 3800!

As newer cams are coming out, the 602 will be around for good prices - you don't have to spend loads of cash on the next gen cam, when you could get a good deal now or soon on a 602.
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2003, 3:53 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by voxmagna
Quote:
Iím sure the 3800 will do a nice job but with a fixed ISO of 100 you are locked in to limited settings.
This is why you should look at the 602. There are plenty of posts here about trying to shoot and focus in low light! Actually getting a shot should be at the top of your list. 1600ASA will get you a fair 1Mpix pic in a concert, no flash - try that with a 3800!

As newer cams are coming out, the 602 will be around for good prices - you don't have to spend loads of cash on the next gen cam, when you could get a good deal now or soon on a 602.
thanks for the advice, i'll keep looking around at prices because it sounds like the s602 is definately worth the extra money.
Old Apr 7, 2003, 9:42 PM   #7

I would recommend the s602 over the 3800 for numerous reasons:

-numerous ISO settings
-full, unlimited manual controls of all exposure variables
-lower noise vs. 3800
-higher resoluton vs. 3800
-superior dynamnic range vs. 3800
-ergonomics better(too me anyways)
-shortoer min. focal length(wider wideangle) vs. 3800
-tv composite video out
-higher resoluton EVF(electronic view finder)
-manual focus ability
-hot shoe for external flash(sorry, but ALL internal flashes are useless if you want hi quality, smooth flash shots - you need a powerful bounce flash and a diffuser dome).

At 2/3 the cost of the s602, it is my opinion that the 3800 is not worth the cost when ou can get the s602 for just alittle more!

-Chris
WmAx is offline   Reply With Quote