Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Mar 25, 2006, 1:24 PM   #1

OK - first when I go to zoom the lens or even look at a potential photo through the lens it looks very pixilated (?) and when I zoom in on the subject ie mountains from our condo the potential photo is so blurry I cannot really see what I am taking. I did try adjusting the Diopter button to no avail.

Secondly when looking at the properties of my photos why are the photos from my Fuji Finepix F700 (2832 x 2128) and file size 1926161 bigger than this 5200 at (2592 x 1944) and file size at 1275885?

I just got the F700 last March - am I making enough of an improvement by getting this 5200 now? I decided I really wanted more zoom.
Shari is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 25, 2006, 2:33 PM   #2

The EVF is not an optical viewfinder. It is pixelated because of its design, but it won't be a problem with your pictures.

Unless you have put your camera on "continuous focus", the lens will not focus until you push the button halfway down. You might consider using the continuous focus mode. It puts a little more strain on the batteries, but it will continually try to focus the picture. You might find that certain shooting situations will work better for you in the continuous focus mode.

2592x1944 is a "standard" measurement for a 5 MP digital camera. I have a little Pentax 5 MP camera, and those are the exact dimensions it takes. The dimensions you gave for your F700 multiply out to 6 MP, and if my memory serves me correctly that is what the F700 is rated at.
jphess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2006, 3:52 PM   #3

Thank you so much for your explanation. I really know nothing about cameras yet except I like taking photos and loading them into my computer and working on them. I have two weeks to play with this camera and can still return it. Do you think it is a better camera than my F700 even tho is has less pixels? I originally got the 700 because of the pocket size and I take it everywhere. I really liked the Fuji and decided to stick with it. I am off to try some outdoor shooting today. Thanks again.
Old Mar 25, 2006, 5:18 PM   #4

I don't know anything about the F700. I have a Fuji S5100 which is very similar to your camera, but only has 4 MP. I used it on a trip to Alaska last year and was very pleased with the results. I have also purchased a Fuji S9000, and I really like it too. Personally, I like a bigger camera and that is why I have stayed away from the little cameras like yourF 700. I think for the most part it will be difficult for you to see the difference in the quality of the pictures between your two cameras based on the number of megapixels. Some people seem to have difficulty with the 5000/9000 series of cameras. I have been very pleased with both of my cameras. I guess the best thing for you to do is take full advantage of the next two weeks to help you decide whether or not you want to keep the camera. There really is a lot of good information in the manual. I would suggest reviewing sections of it frequently. If you liked the F700 because it was a pocket-sized camera, what was your motivation for buying the S5200?
jphess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2006, 5:40 PM   #5

The 10X zoom. The Finepix F700 was only 3x. I recently took the F700 on a cruise through the Panama though and it took excellent photos. I was able to make a great slide show of 40 minutes from all the photos. BUT, I do make greeting cards for a hobby and I wanted to zoom for flowers and nature and the great mountains we have around here. Also my F700 was not great for nighttime photos - so I will try this one for low light too. Thanks for responding.
Old Mar 25, 2006, 8:45 PM   #6

The F700 is a 3.1 MP camera. It had the ability (through the use of its Super CCD R sensor) to achieve 6.2 MP's through interpolation. It was not truly a 6 MP camera, because the the additional 3 million photodiodes incorporated into the sensor are considerably smaller and less sensitive than the first 3 million.

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote