Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Apr 1, 2006, 6:53 PM   #1

I purchased an S9000 back in December and immediately noticed something different between the S9000 and my other Fuji digicams, a 6900Z and a S602. I also own three Nikon film cameras. Since I started using the S9000, I've been reading a lot of threads about the photographs being "soft" and lacking sharpness. Playing with RAW photos, I believe I now know what Fuji had in mind.

When looking at the RAW photos, I noticed a striking resemblance to shots from my Nikon F3HP using Fujicolor Reala. In the "Crome" mode the S9000 resembles Fujicrome Velvia except for slightly subdued greens. Interesting. Have we forgotten what Film looked like?

This got me thinking and I went back and looked at the S602 and 6900Z. 200% blowups revealed slight sharpening artifacts. None are present on my S9000. Looking at resolving detail on the S9000 also revealed that the S9000 is far superior to the 6900Z and the S602, yet the S9000 photographs lack the "snap" of the previous Fuji Digicams.

I think Fuji snuck in a film-like Digicam with the S9000, with very little camera processing. With out a doubt, this camera is made for post-processing. Some USM and additional saturation using Photoshop will duplicate the "snap" we've become accustomed to with digicams, or as-is for that "film look".

My final question is did Fuji plan this or was it an oversight in the firmware development? Whatever the reason, I hope this is a new "trend" in digicams.
honus402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 3, 2006, 8:03 AM   #2

I agree with you at least in the fact that in this camera "the default" sharpness value is less then in many other cameras. That is why using it with sharpness=hard we get results much equivalent to other when they set to sharpness=norm. or soft.

But how you can explain the "grainy effect" in high-resolution images of 9500. This seems not "noise" issue but it seems to be like "cavitation" effect touching darcish smooth areas that appear to be sown with black dots, that is good viewed at 100%, and in the crop i placed here.. Another crop is of KonikaMinolta A200 and it's totally free of this effect.

antysler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2006, 9:29 AM   #3

antysler,

they packed TOO MANY pixels unto their tiny CCD

i own (and prefer) a s7000

(also own a KM 7D)

(different tools for different tasks)
bernabeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2006, 9:42 AM   #4

It might be worth noting that many of the camera settings are ignored when shooting in the RAW mode. The only settings that affect your raw images is the ISO (of course) and the white balance. Other settings like color and sharpness have no impact on raw images.
jphess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2006, 12:52 PM   #5

antysler,

I've noticed that the photo on top definitely has more resolving power (detail), so it's not surprising that it shows more noise. I've examined the noise in my 9000 photos in Photoshop lab mode at 400X. It appears that most of the noise is in the luminance channel. That's puzzling. Overall, I feel that noise is not an issue for me.

jphess,

When I referred to the subdued film-like look, I was talking about JPEG default settings. I used RAW to compare the original. There appears to be very little change between my 9000's RAW image and the default in-camera processing. I love the control RAW gives me but the 9000's "lite" in-camera processing for JPEGs makes the JPEG (Fine) mode a fairly attractive shooting mode and reserving RAW for occasional comparisons.

Old Apr 3, 2006, 2:18 PM   #6

honus402,

I agree with what you said. I have been studying a book on RAW processing lately and have been shooting a lot of raw images. But then the other day I shot a bunch of JPEG images in 9F, and when I looked at them I wondered why I was bothering to shoot in RAW because they were very good images. But then, yesterday a very good friend of mine asked me to take some family pictures for him and I decided I wanted that little bit of extra control that RAW offers. The pictures turned out just beautiful. And after I did some minor adjustments in Camera Raw, there was nothing left to do in Photoshop but crop the image and print.

I really think it's unfortunate that a lot of the reviewers have given the 9000/9500 such a poor review. And on other forums users of other models seem to be very quick to point out the faults of the 9000/9500 when in reality they have never used the camera, but seem to be happy to represent themselves as experts on its faults. In my opinion, this is an extremely fine model.

Jim
jphess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2006, 9:26 PM   #7

Lately, I've been thinking the same thing. I started using RAW for a comparison, because all of the non-owners of the S9XXX have been saying it over processes. On another Forum, I took a lot of bashing from owners of 602s etc. Funny thing is, I own a S602 and a 6900Z besides the 9000. They all claim the 9000 over processes and thatthe photos look soft.

I did some 400X looks at photos from my 602 and 6900 and they contain sharpening artifacts.I can't find any sharpening artifacts with the 9000. I haven't tried the "Hard" mode.

I've been playing a bit and have decided to archive "as is" in JPEG Fine and sharpen after resize. I tried USM at 200%/.8pix/0 threshold, +15 Saturation and check levels; Amazing!
Old Apr 3, 2006, 9:59 PM   #8

Ahhh honus402.. you've been to the dpcreviews forum huh? :-)

Pretty film like and it can be made to have more snap if needed.

The Winemaker is offline   Reply With Quote