Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Apr 2, 2006, 11:31 AM   #1

I've just bought a UK 9500 and so far have been very dissapointed in the pictures I have taken with it. While it seems to make a reasonable job of getting the exposure right, every picture I have taken has been very grainy (see attached examples).

Both images are the same picture taken on Auto at 9Mp Fine, no pp. Photos taken in M,P, A or S modes do not appear any different.

Crop1.jpg is a crop of a section of the original photo at 100%. Resize.jpg is the photo resized to 50%. The exif data should be retained on both.

Should I too be returning my camera? (serial number 61L05414).

I would really appreciate some feedback. Is it the camera or is it the photographer?
Attached Images

smasp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 2, 2006, 12:15 PM   #2

The photo was taken at ISO 400, outside in daylight, using flash. I just think you are getting a little overexcited. Try not using your flash, use the aperture preferred auto mode, and set your ISO at 200 or lower and give that a try. Also, this is a very strong crop. I'm not sure what you are expecting.
jphess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2006, 12:44 PM   #3

I too have the 9500, and am very happy with it. It will take some time to get used to it i am still learning how to use the camera right i bought (National Geographic Photography Field Guide Secrets to making great pictures second edition) from Amazon.com it is a really great book... So i would really think about keeping the 9500 because it is one hell of a camera..
hercules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2006, 12:53 PM   #4

Thanks jphess and hercules for your replies.

jphess was being very polite, I had the camera set up completely wrong for the photo and am somewhat embaressed. The only thing I got right was to take the lens cap off !!! I will persevere and get to know the camera properly. I have seen some great shots on this forum taken with the 9500 but am still a little concerned at the number of people who seem to be having problems. Thanks also for the book tip hercules, on my way to Amazon right now.
smasp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2006, 12:58 PM   #5

No problem, but you will find the book facinating just got mine couple day's ago and i am just reading and reading, not even in high school did i read like that, take care...
Old Apr 2, 2006, 1:57 PM   #6

I don't believe that there were really very many bad cameras. I just think it's necessary to experiment a lot with all the different options, and discover for yourself what works best for you.
jphess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2006, 6:06 AM   #7

I also think people who down the 9500 are comparing it with the dslr cameras just like in the reviews but keep the regular lens that the dslr comes with i bet that there will be no difference..
Old Apr 3, 2006, 9:34 AM   #8

a camera is a camera is a camera

the laws of photography and optics apply to them all

Ansel Adams had a box, a lens, a sheet of film, and a tripod

IT TAKES YEARS (sometimes decades) TO BECOME A PHOTOGRAPHER

++++++ I'M STILL TRYING++++++

Last edited by bernabeu; Jun 27, 2015 at 4:24 PM.
bernabeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2006, 7:03 AM   #9

this would hve to be the worst quality photo i have seen o n this forum. no disrespect to you mate but seriously this is terrible. Doesnt look like the work of a s9000/9500.

I seriosly doubt this quality of shot is due to iso 400 or using the flash. I mean this is massive image degradation. To me it looks like the image is taken at a super lo res. I dont even think vga res would be this patchy and blothcy.

i definately think this is a settings issue. Idont think any digicam on earth can make images tht bad for this price.

Just reset the cam and start again, outside photography is easy on a slightly cloudy day and go from there

ken
kenmck15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2006, 10:18 PM   #10

Hi--my first post.

About that grainy photo above...I'm a long time fuji fine pix user--loved both the s602 and s7000. Got a s9000 for Christmas, and immediately started having image problems.I triedall settings, read everything back and forth,used every trick in Photoshop (I have extensive experience there)...and finally read a couple ofweb postingswhere others vented about their problems with image quality from the s9000. Theyreturned the camera for repair & eventually received a new camera with entirely different results.

My s9000has been checkedby Fuji. and is, according to them, being repaired. They tell me it will be a couple of weeks as they have many in the shop. I will let you know if thingsare different this time around. I still have high hopes for this camera! I have seen some excellent photos on the web taken with it.

Photo from s7000

T
Tzurunkle is offline   Reply With Quote