Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Apr 4, 2006, 11:30 AM   #1

I would very much like to know whether or not anyone here uses their Fujifilm Finepix F10/F11 camera when clubbing and generally having fun in bars or parties. The reason I ask this is that I'm in the middle of a very difficult choise. I want an ultracompact camera that I could take with me everywhere but mostly to bars and nightclubs. Obviously technically speaking the main concern is low light performance. It seems though that if you go any smaller than F10/F11 you lose the ability to take pics (without flash) without much noise.

Right now, I'm balancing between Panasonic FX01 and Fuji F30. I really like FX01's size, style (especially the black version) and the cool 16:9 mode. Alas, FX01 (or generally the FX-family) is known for having a bit more noise than the other top competitors in this size class. So you pretty much have to forget using ISO 800 and ISO 1600. Of course, I could always use the flash.

When I have asked the opinion of other people on this matter, they all say that F30 is the hands-down winner and best camera for my needs. And I'd have to agree to a point. I know all about how these Fuji models have incredibly low noise at high ISO levels and how they really are the smallest cameras to perform decently in low light. BUT... F30 is a bit bulky camera. I've read posts where the dude has sold his Fuji F11 and bought FX01 just because of F11's big size.

Now let me paint you a picture: I'm the kind a guy who wants to buy top-of-the-range products because 1) I won't be replacing them anytime soon 2) I just have to have fancy stuff. That's why I'm not looking cameras at below-300-dollar class. Moreover, I really want a fun camera. This means that I want it to be small enough to be carried around without barely feeling that I have it in my pocket (I plan to carry it inside my inner breast pocket, never in the pocket of my tight jeans). It also means that I just want to point and shoot, I do not want to make any manual adjustments. And yes, I'd like it if the camera would perform decently in any situation (and most of the time I'd take pics in parties and clubs). I'd mostly take pics of my friends posing (NOT moving) at a 1-2 metre distanse. I also care about style and that's why I would not like it very much if I had a camera that was so big that it'd bulge from my pocket. Oh, here's one more important matter: I would NOT print the photos; 99% of the time I'd just show the pics to my friends from the cam lcd or from my computer display. I rarely would zoom in the picture.

I think you get the picture what kind of camera I want. So the issue here is really about size: is F30 too big to be carried around in clubs and bars and to be danced with it in my pocket without me be uncomfortable? Because while FX01 does have OIS which helps in low light F30 would no doubt be a no-brainer qualitywise in bars and clubs.

So in your opinion IS F30 (or F10/F11) TOO BIG FOR A PURPOSE OF CARRY-EVERYWHERE-INSIDE-A-POCKET CLUBBING CAM? Some people have suggested I'd buy a belt pouch to F30 but then wouldn't I look like some tourist inside a bar or a club? And everytime I'd sit wouldn't I feel the pouch?

Please help me!!!
JungleKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 5, 2006, 6:00 AM   #2

I have owned an Panasonic LS-1 and currently i own an F-10. I don't know exactly the low light features of the Panasonic FX-01 but my experience with LS-1 may be helpful to you. The conclussion I've got is that I prefer high sensibility features combined with low noise (F-10) rather than optical stabilization and average sensibility and noise (LS-1). Some explanations are:
1) It is difficult to get people still for a 1/2 second (specially in a bar or in a party).
2) With LS-1 noise was everywhere in any low light picture.

I'll rather chose the F-10 (or F-11 and F-30) even if the zooming controls of the FX-01 are much better.

The drawback of the F-10 is that you will be always feeling the camera in your pocket.
benjaserrano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2006, 7:29 AM   #3

Difficult choice:
Panasonic is not very good in low light
Fuji is good but too bulky for yor purpose
Have a look at this comparison between Panasonic FX01 and Fuji F10

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/panasonicfx01/page6.asp
benjaserrano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2006, 7:54 PM   #4

Yes I have seen that comparison. Well, it clearly shows how noisy FX01 is although I have to say that a pic posted be fmoore on another thread of taken with FX01 in ISO 1600 in kind of a low light situation wasn't completely awful although there were noise, blurriness (because of motion of the people in the pic) and loss of detail. It was surprising, by the way, how well Ixus 65 (SD630) handled itself.

Well right now I have decided the following: FX01 is out of the picture (so to speak) and so is Fuji V10. I have a little over two months before I absolutely need the camera. I will wait for early reviews of Sony T30. If it seems to take at least tolerable pics in low light without flash than I'll choose it. If not, I will try to find a way to test F30's size and how it fits in my pocket. If it doesn't feel too big or doesn't cause discomfort, I'll choose it. But if it does, I'll choose one of the new Canons (perhaps that Ixus 65) because Canon's are at least good basic cameras.

benjaserrano wrote:
Quote:
Difficult choice:
Panasonic is not very good in low light
Fuji is good but too bulky for yor purpose
Have a look at this comparison between Panasonic FX01 and Fuji F10

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/panasonicfx01/page6.asp
JungleKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2006, 10:23 PM   #5

hi i own a fuji finepix F11 and I am very happy with it. It fits in my pocket quite well and the battery rarely runs out. I can recommend it. If you think the size is a problem go and try it out at the store, this is what i did.

Here are my sydney gay club photos.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/hopeless128/sets/1759031/

and here is the rest of my flickr gallery
www.timtam.com
Attached Images

timtam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2006, 1:25 PM   #6

The F30 is supposed to measure out at 3.6X2.2X1.1 inches and weigh in at 5.5oz. This is lighter than the F10/11 and about the same overall size (actually, about identical). This is all pre-release data, so not sure what the finals will be until this camera is actually released. In either case, I don't consider this bulky. These are compact and not ultra-compact cameras, and should fit comfortbly in a pocket. Also, there is no "grip bump" on the F30 as there is on the F10/11. The case is more or less flat. I hope at some point, Fuji will use this new 6th generation sensor in 9MP in the E900.
mike_920 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2006, 1:27 PM   #7

mike_920 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2006, 7:49 PM   #8

So did you get the F30 and take it to clubs? Or did you find it too bulky? Thanks.
rrgg is offline   Reply With Quote