Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Apr 9, 2006, 4:20 PM   #31
E.T

SelNZ wrote:
Quote:
In RAW it takes 18mp. It is the way the ccd is layed out in a diamond shape. It takes a 18mp image and interpolates it back to 9mp or less for jpg.
Mostly wrong.
It's 9MP sensor, there's just other still smaller photosite next to main photosite. This is supposed to give extra dynamic range for highlights when output of main photosite and less sensitive smaller one are combined. That other 9MP comes only from need to store two RAW datas per pixel.

Now knowing can it give extra resolution would require knowing other things from sensor, like design of micro lens/color filter array which Fuji apparently has kept secret.
But if it gives some extra resolution that comes barely from those super tiny photosites meaning that data is very noisy, so when they get just little light (darker area of image) that might cause noise reduction and upwards interpolation to mess each others.
But then again in bright light that could work if interpolation is tweaked to take advantage of that... at least Fuji is very good in making noise reduction algorithms for masking noise.

honus402 wrote:
Quote:
S9000, 9M Jpeg Fine, Sharpen-Normal, Auto WB, F 5 @ 1/400, "A" Priority Mode, ASA-100. One shot at 50mm eq and one at 300mm + 2x digital. No PPĀ*except for resize.
..except for resize...
Now that is very good in masking signs of upwards interpolation, you have to take crop from digital zoom photo or then post it at full resolution without any resizing!
E.T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2006, 6:36 PM   #32

E.T wrote:
Quote:
SelNZ wrote:
Quote:
In RAW it takes 18mp. It is the way the ccd is layed out in a diamond shape. It takes a 18mp image and interpolates it back to 9mp or less for jpg.
Mostly wrong.
ET Wrote.
It's 9MP sensor, there's just other still smaller photosite next to main photosite. This is supposed to give extra dynamic range for highlights when output of main photosite and less sensitive smaller one are combined. That other 9MP comes only from need to store two RAW datas per pixel.

And you source of this info is?

Sel ......
SelNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2006, 8:02 PM   #33

thats what i thought.

i thought it souly added dynamic range and increased its colour accuracy

I have neva heard of 18mp. and in specs it say somehign like 9.2megapixel native. isnt native meaning the actual number of pixels'???
kenmck15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2006, 8:09 PM   #34

Actually, there are only 9 million pixels. The 9000 doesn't have a dual setup like the S3. Fuji Pixels are arranged in a staggered or 45 degree angle. Mathematically, they are "scanned" in an interlace fashion with every other row being interpolated into the row above it, because it's already halfway in that row. If you take the resulting scan of the RAW image you get a 4896X3688 image, or 18 million samples. Multiply the horizontal and vertical by the square root of two, divided by two and you get the resulting 3488X2616 image which is 9MP. The advantage in combining the 18 million samples into 9 million would be sensitivity and noise reduction because noise is random and would be cancelled by the "brighter" of the combined samples.

With a 2X digital scan, you are only scanning half the CCD area or approximately 4.5 million pixels just like above, but in this case the resulting scan is not combined, but left as interpolated data. In this situation, the resulting photo would either have less resolution or more noise. You can't get something for nothing.

Either way, I'm pleased with the result. I'm beginning to believe the weakest link in my S9000 is the lens and not the CCD.
honus402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2006, 8:29 PM   #35

honus402 wrote:
Quote:

Actually, there are only 9 million pixels. The 9000 doesn't have a dual setup like the S3. Fuji Pixels are arranged in a staggered or 45 degree angle. Mathematically, they are "scanned" in an interlace fashion with every other row being interpolated into the row above it, because it's already halfway in that row. If you take the resulting scan of the RAW image you get a 4896X3688 image, or 18 million samples. Multiply the horizontal and vertical by the square root of two, divided by two and you get the resulting 3488X2616 image which is 9MP. The advantage in combining the 18 million samples into 9 million would be sensitivity and noise reduction because noise is random and would be cancelled by the "brighter" of the combined samples.

With a 2X digital scan, you are only scanning half the CCD area or approximately 4.5 million pixels just like above, but in this case the resulting scan is not combined, but left as interpolated data. In this situation, the resulting photo would either have less resolution or more noise. You can't get something for nothing.

Either way, I'm pleased with the result. I'm beginning to believe the weakest link in my S9000 is the lens and not the CCD.

thats an excellent explanation.

Thanks for clearing up the 18mp thingie. See i was under the impression from this forum tht the cam snapped a shot at 18mp then interpolated bck to 9mp. but in the instnace of 2x digi zoom i thought only the 9mp portion of the cdd was used and no interpolation took place therefore stil outputting a 9mp shot. Obviously it doesnt.

thanks again

ken

kenmck15 is offline   Reply With Quote