Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Apr 5, 2006, 10:30 PM   #1

Just for the fun on it, I have been documenting the demolition of the old library on the campus of Utah State University where I work. This library was new when I was going to school there back in the '60s. I wanted to get some more images this morning before the storm hit. I want to point out at the very beginning that I know there are problems with the images I'm going to show you. But there is a point to my madness. This first image was taken at about a 70 mm equivalent (35mm). I suppose you could say it is a slight telephoto view of the distant building. But I'm showing this image to give you a perspective for comparing the next image.

Attached Images

jphess is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 5, 2006, 10:31 PM   #2

This image was taken at full 600 mm digital zoom from the very same location as the previous image. Again, acknowledging that there are several problems with the image, I was still impressed with how the neon lighting on the large A's is still quite distinguishable, as are the shingles on the lower roofline. I don't know how well it will show on the Web, but I can also see the carved design in some of the wood trim on the tower. The sky and clouds didn't come through very well, but I thought for digital zoom this image showed some pretty good detail. I don't know, maybe I'm too forgiving, so I'd like to hear what some of you think.
Attached Images

Old Apr 6, 2006, 5:02 AM   #3
E.T

Well, what did you expect from using digital fraud?

Especially when combined with heavy noise removing.
Image doesn't include EXIF but I would guess you used that "anti-blur" feature meaning high ISO.

PS, did you take/get any good shots of that storm? Sky's color looks very promising.
E.T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2006, 9:16 AM   #4

Digital fraud? I really don't know what you're talking about. I guess the reason the EXIF data is missing is because I used the "Save for Web" feature in Photoshop and I forgot that it removes the data. The image was shot at ISO 100, f/5.6, about 1/250 second. The camera was on a tripod, and a cable release was used. I did not use the "anti-blur" feature. The second shot is a full frame shot that was resized in Photoshop to 800x600 pixels so that it could be shown on the Web. If that is fraudulent, then so be it. I pointed out in my original message that I realized there are problems with the image, I was just impressed with the resolving power of the digital zoom.
Old Apr 6, 2006, 11:36 PM   #5

Not that anybody cares or anything, but I took another try at this image. Yes, there is some postprocessing. But I still think the 9000 does a pretty good job at full digital zoom. Not going to use it all the time, but it's nice to know it's there if you need it.
Attached Images

Old Apr 7, 2006, 7:48 AM   #6

i dunno i just hate digital zoom. Just destroys photos. i think the shot is good from the view point of max digital zoom. from general photography viewpoint i would class hte shot as almost unusable. way to distroted and soft. almost no midtone detail at all. blotchy colours, lots of jaggies, chromic abrtionsand the list goes on

I would prefer to take a shot at full optical zoom. And i gota say the s9000 aint shy when it comes to optical zoom. huge 35mm equivalent. and then i would crop and resize using photoshop. PS does a nice job of resizing.

My thoughts anyways

ken

kenmck15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2006, 1:32 PM   #7

Ken,

Well, OK. I guess you know what you're talking about. I must say that I'm not one to do a lot of telephoto photography. So I realize I DON'T know what I'm talking about. I went back to the same spot this morning and photographed the same tower. Same aperture and shutter speed, same location, tripod and cable release used, but vastly different light conditions. The lighting was terrible today. I kept waiting for the sun to come out. This image was taken with optical zoom only, and then cropped to approximately the same view as the other one. I failed miserably on this shot that I took this morning.
Attached Images

Old Apr 7, 2006, 5:01 PM   #8

is it just me or does this shot look like its done in a style like water colour?

Umm if you took this shot at 9mp you should be able to use PS to get the equivalent close up you got from ur orig. I would hope the resutls are better

i have 8mp and i can crop and resize and make drasitc changes and image quality is stil great

in this shot below i took the shot at 8mp. Im am cropping down to about 25% of the shot. This is the original.
Attached Images

Old Apr 7, 2006, 5:03 PM   #9

This is the digital zoom and cropped version

Now i wasnt entirely happy with the sharpnes and detail of this shot. But you should be expecting ATLEAST this sort of result from cropping and zoom on your cam as u have a much higher res than i do.

finished crop and resize below

ken

Attached Images

Old Apr 7, 2006, 5:22 PM   #10

Sorry, but I have had enough of this discussion. I know how to crop. This morning's attempt was a failure. I told you, same ISO, same aperture, same program mode. No watercolor. Straight shot. Didn't work. Don't care either. Tired of arguing the original point of this discussion. Done. Finished. Through. Thanks.