Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Apr 7, 2006, 5:17 AM   #1

Hi...
I'm just about 1 mth using s9500. Can anybody help me or educate me what is chrome effect (in F button) is all about. I've read in the manual, but I believed the explaination is just "general". So... few questios:-
1. When is the best to use chrome effect.
2. Read in the forum - chrome effect is to boost the sharpness, contrast, & saturation.... is it true or just tranparent to us.
3. Any impact on chrome if we use flash?

Please help me... thx!
dehantu is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 7, 2006, 3:45 PM   #2

The main effect using the "Chrome" setting is to make your colors more vivid and, to a certain extent, more saturated. Your camera has other adjustments that can be set to control sharpness and other settings. If you want to see what effect the different settings will have, just take the same picture using the different settings and compare them. Personally, I didn't like using chrome because I felt the colors were unnatural and I had to spend time lowering the saturation on some colors. That is a personal opinion, however. Try the different settings and see what works for you.
jphess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2006, 6:42 PM   #3

thanks jphess for replying... you are right on the vivid color when using chrome mode. I'll try to play around with the functions. BTW, do you use/set the functions (sharpness, saturation, & contrast) to standard while taking your pics? or which one your prefer to set to high?
Old Apr 8, 2006, 10:55 AM   #4

Personally, I prefer to leave everything set to normal. I have taken a rather extensive series of photos of the demolition of a library over the last week or so. With everything set on normal I got a very high percentage of usable/acceptable photographs. That is my preference, but you might find something more acceptable for you.
Old Apr 8, 2006, 5:18 PM   #5

I just shot some more photos today with the clear blue sky and full Texas sun. I shot some on normal and some on "Chrome". Looks to me that with the S9000Chrome setting looksmore like the photos from my S602 and 6900Z. Normal looks more like film to me.
honus402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2006, 7:24 PM   #6

hi... would you be able to share some photo using chrome?
Old Apr 9, 2006, 7:28 PM   #7

jphess wrote:
Quote:
Personally, I prefer to leave everything set to normal. I have taken a rather extensive series of photos of the demolition of a library over the last week or so. With everything set on normal I got a very high percentage of usable/acceptable photographs. That is my preference, but you might find something more acceptable for you.
I sawpics you sent... very nice! All of them are with no chrome effect?
Old Apr 10, 2006, 8:30 PM   #8

I also have a Fuji S5100. When I first got that camera I tried the chrome setting and thought I liked it at first. But then I realized that I was having to decrease the saturation on a high percentage of my images so I quit using it. I haven't even bothered to try it on the S9000 since I got it in December.