Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Apr 7, 2006, 12:32 PM   #1

Has anybody here used the S9000 for sports/action shots? I am dreaming of a new camera (currently have Canon G2) and want something with longer zoom and much better autofocus for action shots (horse shows, soccer, etc). I can't tell you how many pic's I have missed with my canon, even using 1/2 depress to focus then depress, it seems to lose the focus and just not take the shot, I push and nothing happens. I am looking for fast accurate autofocus and nice shots that I have to do minimal pp to.

Was seriously looking at Pana FZ30, but had a chance yesterday to see a printout of iso 400, no flash, but bright indoor lights. Very noisy. And many horse shows are indoors with less light than was in this pic, so definitely wouldn't work for me. Lots of people have said go dslr, but I am not sure I am ready to pack around all that gear, and anyway, it would be nice to have a really good all in one for general use.

All opinions/suggestions are greatly appreciated and thanks for your help.

Peggy

pmanza is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 8, 2006, 5:19 PM   #2

Not sure if these pictures will help you, I was out just taking some sample pictures with my Fuji s9500 having had if for 2 months just to see what it is capable of.

Attached Images

Ray_wales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2006, 6:13 AM   #3

if u are looking for hi shutter speeds indoors sadly the fz30 doesnt stand a chance against the s9000/9500.

S9000/9500 has much lower noise at hi iso levels. In fact i have seen iso800 shots from this cam that seem usable at std print sizes. 6*4

Asi dont own a s9000 i cant comment on the focus ability of this cam but a hi iso cam will result in hihger shutter speeds indoors therefore giving you a nicer freeze on sporting action

fz30 is a great cam but does rely on a bit more light to show its true colours.

ken

kenmck15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2006, 12:21 PM   #4

Hi there pmanza, I use it a lot for sport shooting and have found it all in all, very good for this application (see Critiques section). I have heard complaints about it under low light conditions though, which I canunderstand - all my sport shooting is done during daylighthours and outside.
SteveDak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2006, 3:07 PM   #5

Thanks everyone for replying. The jumping bike looks like quite a good shot to me! It sounds like for an all in one, the s9000 might be as good as it gets for sports without stepping up to dslr. What a tough decision.

Peggy

pmanza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2006, 3:26 PM   #6

pmanza wrote:
Quote:
Thanks everyone for replying. The jumping bike looks like quite a good shot to me! It sounds like for an all in one, the s9000 might be as good as it gets for sports without stepping up to dslr. What a tough decision.

Peggy

peggy if the iso on the jumping bike is not already at 400 or possibly 800 then the shot could be even sharper again with higher shutter

yes the s9000 is a great all in one cam.

ken
kenmck15 is offline   Reply With Quote