Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Apr 11, 2006, 6:39 AM   #1

Hi,

I seem to have run into a problem, i am a newbie photographer and have bought myself a 4 month old s9500 from ebay. The camera is fantastic and i have read an imense amount of info for this cam.

Onto my problem,
I bought my self a 4gb Microdrive a couple of days ago from savastore.com which arrived today, its an Aries 4gb. ( says MagicStor on the microdrive )

The problem is, when i pop the Microdrive in the S9500, it just hangs on the screen with the pink box's going round and round. I left it for 5 mins but nothing happend. The microdrive works fine on my laptop and is formated to fat32.

Reading on the fuji website, it doesnt specify anything other than compatability with 1 to 6gb cards.

My firmware is (already from previous owner i guess) at 1.2

Am i doing something wrong?

Many thanks

Will
Will Moverley is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 11, 2006, 10:55 AM   #2

format it FAT16 not 32
bernabeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2006, 11:12 AM   #3

Hi, i have tryed it both FAT32, and FAT16 now.

But, as far as i can see from the manuals and articles on the web, the s9500 should support FAT32 formated microdrives up to 6gb ( with the firmware upgrade )

Its very weird..
Old Apr 11, 2006, 2:49 PM   #4

I know lots of people had many problems with the old 2.2gb Magicstor drives (they cannot be called microdrives as that trademarked name belongs to Hitachi). That said, I have not seen any feedback either positive or negative about larger (and I assume newer) Magicstor drives on any of the many camera forums I read. I have personally used a 2gb Hitachi microdrive for over two years in my S7000 with no problems whatever.

Clyde
Clyde Atkinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2006, 2:55 PM   #5

Yeh, i have now also read all these bad comments around the older Magistor drives. I have tryed everything, but the s9500 will just not read it. I even rang Fuji who just said it "should" work but i just get the loading squares on screen and i have to remove the batterys to make it functional again.

I may have to return this one, and purchase a Hitachi one instead.

Just means i have to live with the free 16mb xD that came with the camera for a few more days!

;(

Old Apr 11, 2006, 4:04 PM   #6

Maybe it's just a bad card. EBay is not always the most reputable place to purchase things. Will the card format on your computer, and will your computer recognize the card that it has formatted? I read a while back that someone had literally "beaten" his CF to death, formatting them on their computer and using them to transfer other kinds of files , and then putting them back in their camera. And they claim that they just keep on working. Also, after you format the card, add the DCIM/FUJI_100 folder structure and see if that makes a difference. If the card doesn't work now, you aren't going to hurt anything by trying.
jphess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2006, 4:20 PM   #7

Hi Jphess,
The card does indeed work perfect on my mac/pc, i will try and add the folder as you suggested and see if that makes it work.

Thanks for your suggestions.
Old Apr 11, 2006, 5:11 PM   #8

Hi, Will.

I don't know about your MagicStor 4GB drive, but I do own an iPod 4GB Hitachi drive, that my camera can't recognise, although it works perfectly well with my computers and a card reader.Check this link, your drive just might be one of those or similar that are not CF compliant:

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...=52&page=1

HTH

Alex
algold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2006, 5:27 PM   #9

Hi Alex, thanks for your response.

i think theres been some confusion, i didnt purchase the supposed "microdrive" from Ebay, the S9500 i purchased was from ebay. The "microdrive" was from Savastore.com, here is the link to the item.

http://www.savastore.com/productinfo...4&rstrat=0

So i cant see it being one of these none CF compatable devices, considering its in the Compact Flash section.

Hmm.

Oh, jphess adding the directory structure didnt help ! ;(

Old Apr 11, 2006, 5:31 PM   #10

Hey, just one thing Alex,

If you put the ipod drive in your cam, does it just hang on the loading image thing ( square box's rotating )

Thanks

Will