Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Apr 24, 2006, 5:43 AM   #1

I have seen some wonderful pictures of waterfalls on the internet giving the water a silk look affects. However my attempts with my Fuji S95000 are nothing like these, any tips please.
Ray_wales is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 24, 2006, 5:53 AM   #2

Have you got any examples of your attempts? Might help in working out where you are going wrong. And are you willing to do some PP as well?
kefln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2006, 7:38 AM   #3

If I understand correctly what you mean, you should use a longer shutter speed (1/3"-3", depending on how strong you want the water blur effect tobe). It would be a good idea to use a tripod and may be an ND (neutral density) filter.

This was shot at F8.0, 1/20 sec, ISO100, handheld with my old S5500. The water blur is minimal, but I did not have a tripod with me and couldn't use a longer shutter speed.

HTH
algold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2006, 1:50 PM   #4

In order to get long exposure, it is necessary to put on natural density filter sometimes. Since the camera senses less amount of light, it allows more time to take the shot (thus blur) without over exposure.
sregw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2006, 2:32 PM   #5

Just because a camera has the ability to produce photographs that you have seen and liked doesn't mean that the camera will do that automatically. There still is some skill required of the photographer to know how to set up the camera to get the desired effect. There have been a couple of the suggestions provided, and there are other methods that can be utilized. But basically you have to use a very slow shutter speed and still be able to control other exposure factors in order to achieve the effect you are looking for. And it very well could require a tripod to help you get the stability that you need.
jphess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2006, 2:58 PM   #6

Thank you all for your comments, I have posted one of the pictures I tookusing a slow shutter speed. Please let me know what you think, cheers Ray
Attached Images

Old Apr 24, 2006, 4:08 PM   #7

Ray, you have a very good image and it's a beautiful place.

I took the liberty of adjusting contrast and saturation and sharpening it a bit. If you are not happy about it, just tell me and I'll remove the edited image.

Attached Images

Old Apr 24, 2006, 4:30 PM   #8

Hi Algold,

Thanks for that, youhave certainly improved the picture.

Would you be so kindand tell me how you did it :-), I am not up on the computer programmes but thanks for taking the time to look at it. regards Ray

Old Apr 24, 2006, 5:35 PM   #9

Hi Ray.

I'm certanly not an expert on PP and just lerning slowly myself and very glad you liked the little changes I made. I don't know what program you use to edit your images, but almost every one of them has brightnes and contrast, and hue and saturation adjustment option. Your image looks a bit flat and the colours are a bit pale, I guess it was an overcast day. To give a bit of a boost to the image I just used "Automatic Contrast Enhancement" and "Automatic Saturation Enhancement" in Paint Shop Pro 9. To make the image look crisper I used USM (unsharp mask) with Radius 0.8, Strength 60, Clipping 0. Higher USM values looked too harsh and unnatural. It took about 2 minutes with several different settings. S9500 is a great camera and I surely love mine, but being an advanced camera it keeps the in-camera processing to a minimum, letting you to decide what to do with the image later.

The best way to learn PP is to play with a copy of your images and see what works best for you. There is a lot of books and online resources on PP.

Best wishes,

Alex
Old Apr 25, 2006, 5:46 AM   #10

Ray as Algold has already mentioned there is nothing wrong with your work. In fact quite the opposite, fantastic shot. A little PP was all that was needed. I love to see a few moreā€¦
kefln is offline   Reply With Quote