Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Apr 17, 2003, 4:22 PM   #1

Default S602 Photo Quality Question

I ordered my S602 (YAY!) and it should be here soon (YAY AGAIN!!!)

I also have a 340mb iomega microdrive, and will get a smartmedia card, as well (stupid me... I'm going to Pike's Peak this summer... 4000 feet too high for the microdrive ops

Most of the time, I plan to shoot 3mp, which is plenty big... can someone show me a comparison of high vs. regular quality? The difference on the microdrive is at least 200 pictures.

Thanks!

Jeremy
airplanenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 17, 2003, 4:44 PM   #2
NHL

Default Re: S602 Photo Quality Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by airplanenut
I also have a 340mb iomega microdrive, and will get a smartmedia card, as well (stupid me... I'm going to Pike's Peak this summer... 4000 feet too high for the microdrive ops
... Well you're OK @ Garden of the Gods, USAF Academy, and Seven Falls et Al.. since they are located 4000 feet below the limit! :lol: :lol: :lol:

BTW Royal Gorge is also breathtaking!
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2003, 5:03 PM   #3

I'll try to get to the USAF academy- I'm going to CO Springs on a full scholarship... I might be able to get a ride to the USAF, but I can't be sure... or sure if it's open to the public...

Jeremy
Old Apr 17, 2003, 5:05 PM   #4

Quote:
can someone show me a comparison of high vs. regular quality?
Matter of contention I'm afraid. On monitors there appears little difference. But people who print BIG prints say there is on prints. On my first 128Mb SM card I shot all at 3Mpix fine. My Walmart 6X41/2 prints were super.

I'm now shooting 6Mpix to a 1G MD, but haven't had a print batch done yet. Bigger files slow the pc when loading and editing. If you're limited on memory, why not second guess the shots for 3Mpix - family friends etc, and set 6Mpix for the scenic shots you may never repeat? If you are nearing the end of the trip, shoot 3Mpix? I'd favour bringing back more varied shots at 3Mpix, than a selected few at 6 particularly if you're trying panos. Ideally, move up to bigger memory.
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2003, 6:09 PM   #5

Approx. 15% more captured resolution(following the extinction point) in the 6mp version, as compared to the 3mp version. The left side is a 3mp, where the one on right is the 6mp. The 3mp version was interpolated/upsampled to 6mp size via software for comparison.

Unless you are printing 8x10 or larger, i believe it's pointless to use the 6mp mode. Just my opinion.

You should also not the sharpening modes on the fuji make a huge diffferent to image quality. The SOFT setting is the only one that does not grossly distort the images. See my ananlysis:

http://www.linaeum.com/productinfo/d...tem/index.html

-Chris[img][/img]
WmAx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2003, 7:50 PM   #6
NHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by airplanenut
I'll try to get to the USAF academy- I'm going to CO Springs on a full scholarship... I might be able to get a ride to the USAF, but I can't be sure... or sure if it's open to the public...

Jeremy
Dont forget NORAD dug inside the Cheyenne mountains, also in Colorado Spring! :lol: :lol: :lol: (and the US Olympic center) all beautiful places for taking pictures...
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2003, 9:57 PM   #7

Hi,

I'm not talking so much about 3mp vs. 6mp... I want to know about the two types of 3mp pictures... normal and high quality.

On occasion, for scenery, I do plan to use 6mp, but I will figure out those resolutions in due time.

Jeremy
Old Apr 17, 2003, 10:21 PM   #8

Unless you are printing 8x10 or larger, i believe it's pointless to use the 6mp mode. Just my opinion.

You should also not the sharpening modes on the fuji make a huge diffferent to image quality. The SOFT setting is the only one that does not grossly distort the images. See my ananlysis:
I have a FinePix4900Z and am wondering how to reconcile the pixel settings on my camera with the image output. Depending on subject matter, I set my camera to 1600x1200 or as low as 640x480 for web viewing only. My Owner's Manual says that at a 1600x1200 normal setting my image data size is 320kb. How can I determine how much JPEG compression took place since I calculate that 1600x1200x3 (for RGB) is 5,760,000 pixels? My viewed images on screen usually reads around 270-280K per image. Does that make the compression ration about 20?

Or do I miss the entire point?
dennis luz is offline   Reply With Quote