Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old May 3, 2006, 4:28 PM   #11

s7raw is a slow program but does a very good job for being a free. On my website ( http://www.mattspinelli.com ) I have started to write several pages of tutorials and examples to help offset the learning curve (which can be quite long with the program).

My typical workflow is to adjust the white balance, exposure, vignetting (I have a S5100), saturation, contrast, brightness, levels, and curves.

Then export to photoshop (I have elements 1.0) and do further processing and sharpening.

If needed I'll use PictureCooler to remove nosie in the image.
nelmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2006, 5:03 PM   #12

Yes, s7raw does a good job. I have looked at some of your tutorials, and you are to be commended for your work. I have said this in other places that I think the program is very good, especially considering that it is free. But, personally, I just don't like it as well as I do Adobe Camera Raw. I admit that is just my personal preference. I have seen work that others have done using s7raw, and they have produced outstanding images.
jphess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2006, 7:43 PM   #13

HIYA!! Ive been away and busy,you have all given me things to think about and look at. THANK YOU ALL!! I was going to buy hyper utility but now i wont.and im now going to look at paintshop and s7raw.

everyone thanx

lonewolf and jphess,thanx x2
bettyswolloks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2006, 8:07 PM   #14

Paintshop failed!! it showed me thumbnails of .raf files id converted to .dng but went no further.

Old May 4, 2006, 10:09 AM   #15

Betty, the key thing to remember is to convert your .raf files to Exif-TIFF within the Finepix Viewer utility. This will maintain the integrity of the raw image as shot and will then allow you to manipulate the image with Paintshop or any other photo/graphics editor.

Just out of curiousity why did you convert the files to dng? Unless you have some other editor that supports dng, I know Paintshop doesn't.

THE_LoneWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2006, 4:24 PM   #16

Betty,

s7raw isn't going to change the Paintshop Pro behavior at all. Paintshop Pro still will not recognize your raw files. You use s7raw to make changes to your raw image. It is better to make the changes that you can using s7raw for some technical reasons that I will refrain from getting into here. After you have made all the changes that you can in s7raw you save that changed image in a format that Paintshop Pro recognizes. I believe the options are 8-bit or 16-bit tiff images or PSD images, or (I think) JPEG images. It's been a while since I've used the program. But then, after you have created that new file, you should be able to open it with Paintshop Pro and do the rest of your postprocessing in that program.

Jim
Old May 4, 2006, 11:34 PM   #17

No offense but coming from someone who doesn't use PaintShop Pro I don't believe that that is sound advice. There isn't a thing s7raw can do that PSPX can't do better and more quickly except directly read the raw file. Not to denegrate s7raw but that's just a dead solid fact. You wouldn't even consider following your recommended procedure and then finish up with your Photoshop would you?

jphess wrote:
Quote:
Betty,

After you have made all the changes that you can in s7raw you save that changed image in a format that Paintshop Pro recognizes. I believe the options are 8-bit or 16-bit tiff images or PSD images, or (I think) JPEG images. It's been a while since I've used the program. But then, after you have created that new file, you should be able to open it with Paintshop Pro and do the rest of your postprocessing in that program.

Jim
THE_LoneWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2006, 1:23 AM   #18

Apparently you haven't studied the advantages of using a raw converter to its fullest capabilities. The preferred workflow in Adobe Camera Raw is to do white balance adjustments, curve adjustments, levels, color temperature, and other adjustments in camera raw. I'm not going to waste your time trying to explain it to you because judging from your attitude you wouldn't believe me anyway. But, yes, some adjustments are done better in the raw converter. If you don't understand that, then you need to be doing some reading. Why do you suppose all those adjustments are available in s7raw if all you are going to do is convert the file? If that IS all you are going to do, then you might as well not even bother with s7raw and use the very simple converter that comes with the camera. That will produce a TIF image that you can load into Paintshop Pro. Why even bother with a raw converter that provides editing capabilities?
Old May 5, 2006, 3:52 AM   #19

Hi all. Im happy with s7raw its just wot ive been looking for:-) As for it being slow,im finding it ok with a 3ghz cpu and 1.75gig of ram i use 15k scsi hard disks so maybe thats making the differance?

I converted some .raf files to .dng so i could play with photoshop cs and to see if any of the programs i was testing would recognize them but mainly to play with adobe lightroom,it was only at the last moment that i realized its only available for the mac :rollOH!!

I like to try and get the picture right when i take it so i dont need to spend time editing images so i do actually just convert with the bundled software 75% of the time,its just the 25% that i do need to tweak i wanted to be able to tweak in the best way possible,which is in raw before conversion,and now thanx to you lot im able to:-)

Im new to photography and loving the learning,ive built a little gallery to show my pictures to those who want to see them.

Thanx again to all who helped and to jphess in particular :-)

http://nonyabizness.com/fuji/index.php
Attached Images

Old May 5, 2006, 4:00 AM   #20

Ive just found this which i thought may be usefull to anyone ending up in this thread the same way i did.

http://www.mattspinelli.com/rawediting.html