Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Apr 29, 2006, 11:26 AM   #1

Can anyone recomend some software to handle the .raf file format. Ive triedrawshooter,silverfast,breezerbrowser,capture one,bibble,sharpraw,and the list goes on!!none seems to recognize the format,im willing to buy some if the demo only works! even photoshop,when the file is converted to tiff fails me.
bettyswolloks is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 29, 2006, 1:14 PM   #2

Adobe CS works great! Money wise everyone complains. Fuji has software labs in CA and MA. They could supply software that meets the demand of CS, but how much would you like to pay for your camera? Software is never free with many features. Not everyone shoots raw files..and wants to spend the time converting.

Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2006, 2:12 PM   #3

Photoshop CS is only compatible with Camera Raw 2.4. In order to open files from your camera you have to use Camera Raw 3.3, and it is only compatible with Photoshop CS2. You can also buy Photoshop Elements 4.0, and it will use the 3.3 version of Camera Raw. I don't want to go into too much detail, but if you want to use the free DNG converter that Adobe provides, it will convert your raw files to the DNG format. And those can be opened in Photoshop CS and Camera Raw 2.4.

Another option you may want to consider, do a Web search for S7Raw. That is a free download of a raw converter that will allow you to make adjustments to your raw files, and then enable you to save them as PSD or TIF images that can be opened in Photoshop. A lot of people like S7Raw, but in my opinion it isn't nearly as smooth as Adobe Camera Raw. But then, it is free, and that should count for something. Here is the link to the software:
http://www.photo-freeware.net/s7raw.php

There is software on the CD that comes with the camera that will convert your raw images to TIF images, but there is no editing capability whatsoever.
jphess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2006, 1:18 PM   #4

I use the raw converter in Finepix viewer under Tools>Save CCD-RAW as Exif-TIFF. (NOTE: Don't use the Save as... under the file menu. It only gets you a 1600 x 1200 image and who knows what else it does to it in the process.) This gives me an unadulterated image file that I then perform my post processing on from within PaintShop Pro X.

I've tried all the same programs you mention and more and much to my surprise PSPX does the best job in my opinion. Even better than Photoshop CS2.

s7raw is the next best choice and it's free. The most recent version is available at http://www.geocities.co.jp/SiliconVa....html#Download
THE_LoneWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2006, 4:43 PM   #5

I just looked at the website info on Paintshop Pro. According to what I read, it includes RawShooter for raw conversion. Unless you know something I don't, that package doesn't support Fuji cameras. And from what I have observed, they don't have any plans to do so in the near future. Do you have other information?
Old May 2, 2006, 6:18 PM   #6

Ad obe cs2 users who want to use RAW may want to see this link for a wee download --> http://www.adobe.com/uk/products/pho...cameraraw.html
yellow munky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2006, 11:39 AM   #7

Not sure if your query is directed to my attention but I'll field it anyway.

No, neither PSPX or Rawshooter support Fuji S9000 raw. And you're quite right about Rawshooter. It doesn't support ANY kind of Fuji raw. In fact I've discovered that many aftermarket digital enhancement products have either poor or nonexistent support for Fuji raw. As a consequence the first step in all my Fuji raw workflow is to convert to TIFF.

During the course of my investigations I also discovered that Fuji's HyperUtility isn't really all one would expect from what you have to pay for it when compared with everything else that's out there. If it comes with your S9000/9500 camera, which I understand it does in some European countries, then it's a bonus but as an add-on purchase for your raw postprocessing workflow your money would be better spent elsewhere.

The software tested includes Rawshooter Essentials/Pro, Bibble Pro 4.7, ACDSee, BreezeBrowser, Noise Ninja 2, GIMP, Adobe Photoshop CS2, Picasa, Irfanview, Photozoom Pro, s7raw, Silverfast DCPro, SharpRaw Pro, and PaintShop Pro X as well as quite an assortment of others both commercial and shareware. Some of the aforementioned are more specific to certain steps in the workflow process but were tested to see how they compared to those features available in the more complete editing packages.

Long story short, none of the software I tested, discounting the lack of raw support ( including PSPX ), produced a finished result that was any better than what I can achieve with PSPX. In fact few could even match the PSPX output and all were a good deal more complicated and time consuming to use.

In my opinion PaintShop Pro X is an unqualified bargain. The biggest surprise was that it fared so well against all the competition. I really didn't expect that at all.

jphess wrote:
Quote:
I just looked at the website info on Paintshop Pro. According to what I read, it includes RawShooter for raw conversion. Unless you know something I don't, that package doesn't support Fuji cameras. And from what I have observed, they don't have any plans to do so in the near future. Do you have other information?
Old May 3, 2006, 12:12 PM   #8

First of all, I want to emphasize that I am NOT an expert by any stretch to the imagination. So my comments are simply going to be my reaction to what I have used. As far as raw converters are concerned, I have used three; Adobe Camera Raw, RawShooter Essentials, and S7Raw.

I used RSE on some raw images from my son-in-law's Nikon D70. It was quite smooth, but personally I didn't see anything to get excited about compared to what I can do in Adobe Camera Raw.

S7Raw is a very interesting program. Yes, it has a lot of capabilities. But maybe it's because I have an older computer, 1.6 Ghz processor with 512 MB RAM, and on my computer it is really slow updating the changes. The controls are not precise at all.

Adobe Camera Raw works the best for me. I'm able to adjust one image and then copy those adjustments to all images that are similar in exposure. Then, I can start a batch process that opens the raw images, applies sharpening and noise reduction, creates hue/saturation and levels adjustment layers because those are the ones that I tend to use the most (leaves them at default settings) and then saves the images as 16-bit tiff images. It does all this unattended while I go do more interesting things. After the raw conversion of all the images is completed, I just scroll through them in the Bridge application that is part of Photoshop CS2, and open the ones that need adjustments. I don't have to create the layers because they have already been created for me. Using this method I can go through a complete shoot very quickly and have the results I expect.

It is my understanding from reading in the RSE forum that some of this automation can be done with that program. But I have a Fuji camera, and it seems that Pixmantec is only catering to "professional" photographers and cameras. And it seems that in their mind Fuji isn't worth considering. So I haven't been motivated to even download the latest version of RawShooter Essentials. I don't do enough work on my son-in-law's images to go to the effort of understanding that program as well as I understand Adobe Camera Raw.
Old May 3, 2006, 1:32 PM   #9

Perhaps I'm missing something here but with regards to your assessment of RSE I am in complete agreement. It isn't worthy of consideration even if Fuji raw were supported. Just because it is conveniently bundled with the CD version of PSPX it is in no way included in my endorsement of PSPX. Corel and Pixmantec are separate entities as are their respective products. I suspect that the only reason RSE is offered at all is because of PSPX's own very poor camera raw support. It's nothing more than an attempt to mitigate an obvious blunder by Corel's development team in overlooking a small but unexpectedly rapidly growing market niche.

Your comment about s7raw being slow is right on the mark. I would even go so far as to say that you're being too kind. I found it to be agonizing and I was using it on a 2GHz P4 with 2 gigs of RAM. I plan to try it out in the near future on my home machine which runs at 3GHz. But then again for a product that's free and that supports Fuji raw exclusively I guess beggars can't be choosers. There are far worse products that people actually pay for.

As with your Photoshop I likewise automate a goodly portion of my postprocessing tasks with PSPX. Batch processing is such a timesaver! I think I'd probably go out of my mind if I had to process each file individually. :lol:
Old May 3, 2006, 1:43 PM   #10

I'm sure PaintShop Pro is a very capable program. And I'm sure you are getting the results you like. I am no Photoshop expert, and I know that I don't use it to its full potential. But that is the program I have become accustomed to using, and I have no motivation to consider anything else at this point. That might change sometime down the road.