Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old May 2, 2006, 4:15 AM   #1

Hi there

First post, and a wee techy question...

Has anyone had any experience of polarising filters for the S9000/9500, and should I go for a linear or circular filter? Is it correct that linear has a detrimental impact on focus?

Kind regards,

Michael
yellow munky is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 2, 2006, 4:53 AM   #2
Baz

Hi Michael: I have experimented with polarizers on Fuji cameras for some years. First the S602 & now the S9500. Most advice is you must use a circular. Well many dealers say that, maybe as they are more expensive. However it's not so. The linear is quite alright for these Fuji's. It will not impact on the focus or metering.

After using both, I find the linear has a more pronounced effect, like darker sky etc.

I dont use the circular any more, and much prefer the linear.

Regards
Baz.

Baz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2006, 5:31 AM   #3

Hi Baz. That's actually quite interesting. I just done a bit of digging, and some folk tentatively recommend circular for either tech reasons, or based on hearsay. It's good to hear9read) from someone with'real' experience. I am after a deeper impact with the sky, so I am quite happy to go along with your advice.

Thanks Baz, much appreciated.

Michael
Old May 2, 2006, 5:52 AM   #4

Circular

s9500 is an autofocus camera so you need to use circular polar filter

Most TTL autofocus and metering cams need to use circular polarising filters. It is speculated that linears give a cleaner image but the linears usually only work on very old cams
kenmck15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2006, 5:55 AM   #5

I tend to use manual focus settings on the S9500, hence why I'm after an unconventional response from those experienced with usage.

Kindest regards,

Michael
Old May 2, 2006, 6:02 AM   #6

yellow munky wrote:
Quote:
I tend to use manual focus settings on the S9500, hence why I'm after an unconventional response from those experienced with usage.

Kindest regards,

Michael

weli have always been told the liner will give cleaner images, but yes all ur auto focus and possibly metering will be out of wack.

So alot more effort and time involved to compose a shot in order to gain prob insignificant gain (if any) over ciruclar
Old May 2, 2006, 4:13 PM   #7
Baz

I guess you are now confused Michael. Kenmck's advice here is typical of some dealers.

It is incorrect. Nothing to do with "older cameras". Circulars are necessary with dSLR cameras because they use beam splitting. But for most non dSLR cameras, the linear is satisfactory. It will not cause the focus or metering to be "out of wack"

He probably has not used polarizers on the S9500. I have, and the focus/metering images with the linear polarizer are very satisfactory.

For your information Ken, the linear is alright with your Panasonic FZ30. In fact it will give better results than a circular. That was the conclusion(with examples) in a discussion on the Panasonic forum some time ago.

Regards
Baz
Baz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2006, 4:18 PM   #8

Baz wrote:
Quote:
I guess you are now confused Michael. Kenmck's advice here is typical of some dealers.

It is incorrect. Nothing to do with "older cameras". Circulars are necessary with dSLR cameras because they use beam splitting. But for most non dSLR cameras, the linear is satisfactory. It will not cause the focus or metering to be "out of wack"

He probably has not used polarizers on the S9500. I have, and the focus/metering images with the linear polarizer are very satisfactory.

For your information Ken, the linear is alright with your Panasonic FZ30. In fact it will give better results than a circular. That was the conclusion(with examples) in a discussion on the Panasonic forum some time ago.

Regards
Baz

Thats very interesting. I am just going from information from our reps and a quick google search. i would be intereested to see the difference between linear vs circular.

this is the info i got from google

quote: "Circular Vs. Linear Polarizers
There are two types of polarizing filters available — linear or circular. Linear polarizers are more effective and less expensive than circular ones. But circular polarizers are needed with just about any camera that has a through-the-lens metering system, or autofocus.

The reason for this is that both of these systems use semi-silvered mirrors to siphon off some of the light coming though the lens. If that light is linearly polarized it renders either the metering or the autofocus ineffective. This means that you're going to have to buy circular polarizers unless you're shooting with a pre-1970's camera, or a view camera."

from: http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tu...larizers.shtml

Thanks for advice i will consider linear

ken

Old May 2, 2006, 5:14 PM   #9

It wouldn't break the bank if I decided to get both! heh heh! I'll bag myself the linear first, then try circular..

Thanks guys..

Michael
Old May 2, 2006, 5:17 PM   #10

yellow munky wrote:
Quote:
It wouldn't break the bank if I decided to get both! heh heh! I'll bag myself the linear first, then try circular..

Thanks guys..

Michael

IF YOU DO END UP BUYING BOTH CAN YOU POST the same shot taken with each of the filters. i would love to see the differnece between the 2

I still havent got around to buying myself a polar, even though i have been wanting one for quite sometime. I should really get one.

cheers

ken