Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old May 3, 2006, 10:06 PM   #1

I purchased the USB cable release available from Fuji that works with the 9000. First of all, I must say that I'm probably not really the person who should review this accessory. I'm not a typical camera user. I'm quite shaky, and have been all my life. Why I ever chose photography as a hobby is beyond many people's imaginations. I tried mechanical cable releases, and as I stated in a previous message, I had trouble with them. I had trouble attaching them, and then I had problems with them dangling and causing the camera to fire on its own. The air bulb cable release worked pretty well for awhile, although it was also difficult for me to attach. I used it for a few weeks, but it broke. So this USB cable release was quite intriguing.

It arrived today and I apprehensively decided to give it a try. Not much to say about how to use it. Pull back the USB cover and plug it in. Nothing to set on the menu. Just turn on the camera and start taking pictures. The button on top of the hand grip has two click positions; the first one activates the autofocus, the second position activates the shutter. That's it. Nothing exciting, just a very smooth and simple way to control the camera remotely. It has a little piece that protrudes downward from the front of the hand grip that serves as a hook so I could hang it from my tripod handle when not in use. The USB cable stays attached without any problems. The cord is 7 feet long and I don't know if you could attach an extension to that or not.

For those of you who have a steady hand and enjoy the freedom of holding your camera, you will not be interested at all in this little accessory. It's expensive as far as cable releases go, $89 with shipping. But for me it was an outstanding addition.

http://www.fujifilmmall.com/product.asp?sku=2783757
jphess is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 4, 2006, 4:02 AM   #2

It is expensive for what it is, but as long as it helps you enjoy your hobby and makes it easier to use your camera, IMO it is a good investment.

Thanks for sharing the info, this can very helpful to someone else.

Regards,

Alex
algold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2006, 10:06 AM   #3

Is it just a 2-contact switch? If so, it should be pretty easy to make your own. Anybody know the pinouts for the USB port, or where they might be found?
Wolverine@MSU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2006, 10:26 AM   #4

Well, anything you purchase from the manufacturer always seems to be more expensive. I don't think the pinouts would be a published specification. So, in my opinion, even though the cable release is quite expensive you don't have to spend a lot of time looking for the specs, and then finding the right materials, and then building it. Personally, I don't want to bother with that kind of thing anyway.

I'm not recommending that anybody purchase one of these. It solved a problem for me. I have taken some very nice night shots and a few macro shots that I have been happy (not totally satisfied) with. And since all I had to do was plug it in and start using it I thought it was money well spent. After all, so far I had spent about $30 on other cable releases that, for one reason or another didn't solve my problem. I think this purchase has ended my quest for something that works for me.

Others had asked in previous threads if anyone had ever heard of such a USB cable release. I didn't feel like going back and looking for that thread. So I just started this one to let people know what I found out.
Old May 17, 2006, 6:14 PM   #5

I was just checking that bookmark to get the proper model and the link is no longer valid. I'm going to check here in vancouver and see if it's carried by anyone.
redgreenblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2006, 6:25 PM   #6

Still works for me.
Old May 18, 2006, 5:17 AM   #7

The shutter release sounds great, albeit expensive. I have made enquiries of Fufi here in Australia and they do not stock them and suggested that I should purchase OS! Not real inspiring in their efforts to support their equipment.

If anyone has specs for the USB port then it would make an interesting project to build one as there is little to it.Would be an interest to some I'm sure

Thanks for your "review"
yuli is offline   Reply With Quote