Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old May 4, 2006, 4:12 PM   #1

Hi there

I'm looking to get an external/slave flash unit as I want to take better portrait photos (and other pics) but really have no idea which flash unit is compatable with my S9500.

Can I use any (within reason obviously) flash unit or are there only certain ones that will work with my camera?

Thanks in advance
Jake the Mus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 4, 2006, 4:41 PM   #2

I sent Fuji and e-mail several weeks ago asking this question. They replied that you can use just about any standard automatic flash that is available. They indicated that some dedicated module flashes will not work. I have a Quantaray flash with a Pentax dedicated module that works just fine. That means that any of the popular flashes such as the Sunpak 383 or the Vivitar 283 or 285 or similar flashes will work just fine. They also indicated that the maximum power that can be used is 400 mA. So it appears that you have a pretty large variety of units you can choose from.
jphess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2006, 4:45 PM   #3

Thanks for the prompt response, very helpful. Cheers
Old May 4, 2006, 9:23 PM   #4
Baz

Hello jp, can you clarify the statement that:

"The maximum power that can be used is 400ma"

We are talking of an external flash here, which of course derives it's power from it's own batteries or power supply.

However as you may know, the camera switches a "trigger voltage" to fire the flash.

There are voltage limits that the camera can safely handle. It varies from camera to camera, and different flashguns use different trigger voltages. Gets complicated.

Is the 400 you mention a max trigger voltage for the S9000, rather than 400ma current?

Is that correct? Do you or anyone know the max trigger voltage for the S9000?

Regards,
Baz

Baz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2006, 11:48 PM   #5
Baz

In the absence of any reply or comment, I can confirm that the Fuji S602 & S9000 camera's hot shoes, can handle flashgun trigger voltages up to 400 volts.

Thanks, jp, it seems likely the "400mA power" you mention is in fact 400 volts maximum trigger voltage.

This is good news for Fuji owners, and as jp says we have a large variety of flashes to choose from. Better than some Canon cameras that specify trigger voltages no greater than 6 volts.

Baz.
Baz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2006, 2:46 AM   #6

Thanks for that Baz. Makes things a bit clearer now. :-)
Old May 6, 2006, 8:07 AM   #7

I apologize for the delay in replying back. But, yes, it is the trigger voltage that has the limit. Thank you, Baz.
jphess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2006, 10:29 AM   #8

I've been using an old Sunpak 422D (leftover from my Nikons)on my S9000 and myotherFuji digitals. Works greatand seems to be a good matchto the onboard flash for exposure and white balance. The bonus is that I prefer to shoot in Manual for flash shots and the Sunpak gives me more flexibility than the onboard flash.
honus402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2006, 4:47 PM   #9

I am very happy with my 10 years old Vivitar 283 with an off-camera cable. The flash was made in Korea and it's trigger voltage is below 8V. Also my cheap Portaflash 336VM studio flash works great with umbrellas and a softbox and everything packs easily into one small bag (including light stands).

Just my $0.02
algold is offline   Reply With Quote