Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old May 6, 2006, 7:47 PM   #1

This is our pet alligator we call "chomper". We've had him about 3 years, and I thought I'd show a pictuer of him here in close up. Also, the next picture is of him also but with a different camera and lens setup.

Pretty impressive photogrophy for the Fuji in my book.

Attached Images

The Winemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 6, 2006, 7:52 PM   #2

And now for Chomper with the Nikon D50 with a Tamron 28-200 XR (IF) Zoom lens. The camera was set on A and not necessarily using the built in macro mode. Compares favorabley with the Fuji, huh?
Attached Images

Old May 6, 2006, 8:14 PM   #3

Hey Vern,

Those are both really great images. Where in the world did you get a pet alligator? The Nikon cameras are very nice. I have done some postprocessing on some images for my son-in-law, casual portraits of his two daughters, taken with his D70. They turned out very nicely. But I think I could have done just as well with the Fuji S9000 because they were very well lighted images that could be shot at lower ISO. Anyway, just wanted to say hi.

Jim
jphess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2006, 8:51 PM   #4

Hi Jim,

Thanks for the kind words on the photograhpy. In all fairness the one with the Fuji was taken today after I took him out of his tank inside the house. It's been kind of chilly the past 2 days, AND we mowed the lawn today, so no dandelions to creep through or taller grass. Also on the Nikon, he was taken out of the wading pool (his 'strech' area in the warmer months) and so he is nice and shiny and glossy. Today he was out of the inside house tank and the top of his head was dry and so he looked 'EXACTLY' like the picture. It's not a matter of off contrast or other, it's a matter that he was a bit drier today and it shows it in the picture. Nikon takes very good pictures, but at 4x6 you'd be very hard pressed to find any/much difference. Lets just say either camera will take outstanding pictures. I do like the Nikon with the ability to change the color pallete, from (sRGB) to Adobe (sRGB) which has more lattitude in color than the normal. Also you can custom create curves and use them if you want. Both cameras have tons of combinations of settings to fit just about any shooting situation. The ISO is a lot quicker, thoug on the Nikon. All I have to do is have the camera on, press the ISO button and turn the command dial. I can see the ISO in the top most LCD display screen, it's that simple.

BTW I got him at the pet store in Grand Rapids, MI. He is an American Alligator. I've had a Caymen alligator before that was really mean tempered. This thing is easy to pick up and handle. I feed him bits of meat with a pair of tweezers. When he does not want to be fed or is full you can put the meat next to his mouth and touch it all you want and he won't bite it. Sort of runs away from it all. The Caymen would bite it just for the sake of biting. He liked finger food the best. :-)