Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old May 13, 2006, 10:12 AM   #1

I have recently purchased a fujifilm finepix E550 and it was working fine for a few days. All of a sudden anything that seems to be bright ends up smearing huge vertical lines. I have tried multiple ISO settings and shutter speeds as per the Fuji help guides but to no avail. Is there something that I can do to fix this or is it a warrenty repair thing? Also, I am getting the horizontal lines and thumbprint problems that I have been seeing a lot of on the forums.

Any help is welcomed!

Tony
Attached Images

MagicalT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 15, 2006, 7:26 AM   #2

There's nothing wrong with you camara as far as I know. I've seen it too when pointing the camera at any very bright light source.
Wolverine@MSU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2006, 9:23 AM   #3

This is an example ofthe sensor blooming. It happens when a CCD sensor is exposed to a source of very bright light that exceeds the photosites' capacity to hold charge. Thus they "spill" this charge to the adjacent photosites corrupting the image.

I've seen this on my S9500 once when I inadvertently pointed the camera to the sun, the whole screen turned white for several seconds. Switching a camera off cures it, but I don't know for sure whether it can damage a sensor or not.
algold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2006, 12:03 PM   #4

My 2.6 mpx camera doesn't do that. It does that to all lights, even a night light. The lights that the picture was taken from are 60w bulbs. They are not that bright. Is this a CCD only problem?
Old May 15, 2006, 12:48 PM   #5

Hiya,
This has been the strangest month I can EVER recall for strange cammie faults !!
I actually disagree with the others, this is not lens flare etc .. the trails are too precise and perfect. Is it the same in RAW mode? Movie mode? Does it recover if you immediately shoot the next pic of a normal subject. That will help in diagnosis.
JKirk

jkirk@oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2006, 6:44 PM   #6

It only occurs if there is a light source. In fact this does this even with a candle light or with a white shirt using a flash. If it is a fault, why did it not occur with the first few days of pictures?

It does the lines in RAW mode but I haven't tried the movie mode.
Old May 16, 2006, 5:08 AM   #7

MagicalT wrote:
Quote:
It only occurs if there is a light source. In fact this does this even with a candle light or with a white shirt using a flash. If it is a fault, why did it not occur with the first few days of pictures?
It does the lines in RAW mode but I haven't tried the movie mode
Hmmm I think I know what is happening.
CCD data is read out 1 Horizontal scan at a time. The signal levels are "pushed" down 1 column with each new scan. Before each Horizontal scan though, a "backgrouind" level calibration takes place .. ie the leveles are reset. (Simplified version)
In your case, ONCE a scan detects an over-exposed (relatively) column, it can't reset it, so that level is automatically pushed down with each scan. In the old days, given a good circuit and equipment, this would be a VERY Interesting fault. We'd likely fight over it in the service department :-)
Now, all you can do is change the CPU PCB board, but that could cost US$200. If you're lucky, you might find a cheap dead one on ebay, Especially if it has a broken lens (that would render it worthless) !! So, US$25-35 max in that case.
Otherwise, try to find a sympathetic Fuji Sevice dealer.
Why did it wait to fail? Thats how faults happen .. they wait until you're sleeping or until you're feeling great or happen to need it the most ... then whammo :-) .. bastids
Good luck mate
JKirk

jkirk@oz is offline   Reply With Quote