Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old May 14, 2006, 6:27 AM   #1

Here are some results of tests with flash pictures on a Fujifilm S9000.The first three sets ofphotos were taken with manual exposure (1/500, f 5), forced flash. Each column shows the three different exposure modes: Spot, Multi, or Average. The last column was shot with forced flash and programmed exposure (EXIF says 1/60, f 3.5 for both shots). Focus was manual and not changed between shots. The only thing different between the two rows was the center point of the shot. It appears that even in manual mode with forced flash, the camera is adjusting the flash intensity, based on some exposure reading. After looking at the EXIF data for the last column (Program) the entries for "Brightness Value" show -2.88 for the top one and -4.16 for the bottom one. I see the same phenomenon when using the flash in "Auto" mode.

It would appear that there is no way to get the flash to fire with a constant brightness, unless I'm missing something. The "Brightness Value" readings would suggest that there is some control of flash intensity, no matter what mode is selected. The "External Flash" was "OFF" so that's not the problem. Any one know what's going on, or is it just an "Undocumented Feature" of the S9000.
Wolverine@MSU is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 14, 2006, 3:18 PM   #2

What ISO setting did you use? And what was the distance to your test subject?
algold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2006, 6:20 AM   #3

ISO was 80 and distance was about 6 feet. I don't see how that matters though as the only thing that was different among the pairs of shots was where the center of the frame was.
Old May 15, 2006, 11:50 AM   #4

I just spoke with a Tech Rep from Fuji, and he said that if I set the flash compensation to +2/3 it will make the flash fire at full intensity, regardlaess of any exposure measurement the camera makes. I'll try it tonight and let folks know if this is the solution.

(Edited Tue. May 16): I tried the +2/3 flash compensation as suggested by the Fuji Rep and the results were the same: point in one place -> way underexposed, move a little to the left -> "proper" exposure. Seems the Tech Rep was blowing air out his A$$. Will call back today to get more "Technical A$$istance".