Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old May 14, 2006, 2:31 PM   #1

On my Fuji S9500 screen I have it on Manual, what is the shutter speed when it says 1600, or 1.3", I don't understand please help, also what does the aperture of F8 mean.

Thanks amanda x
inadhaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 14, 2006, 3:00 PM   #2

You need to get your owners manual out and go through the set-up. I presume, you have been shooting in the point and shoot mode (Auto). If so, the S9000 is probably not the proper camera for you.

Access the menu and set your default ISO to 100 or 200. 100 if you do mostly outdoor shooting, 200 if mostly indoor.

I would suggest you go back to basics and learn to shoot in the Aperture Priority (A) and Manual (M) Modes. Start with the Aperture Priority (A) mode.

The S9000, like most digicams, has a limited aperture range and a large shutter speed range, makingAperture Priority (A) the mostlogical semi-auto mode to shoot in.A good "default" aperture for you would bef5.6, adjusted by the command wheel. Set it there (f5.6) and leave it there till you gain an understanding of the interactions between shutter speed and aperture. Reserve the AUTO Mode for those unprepared spontaneous indoor shots with the on-board flash.

When you feel comfortable with the results in Aperture Priority Mode go to the next step; Manual (M) Mode.

Let us know what you are using the camera for and we can give you some input when required.

honus402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2006, 3:10 PM   #3

Hi I have looked in the manual but it ain't much help, I am using the camera for all different things outdoor and indoor, going to concerts etc. I just want to know how you work out the shutter speed. Say if I wanted to set it at say 1/600 would that be 1600 on my screen. I just don't understand 1600, 2000, 2.5 means, if you can just explain that then I will be ok. Thanks, also is there a good book out that explains all of the basics to more harder stuff?
Old May 14, 2006, 3:40 PM   #4

Hi, Amanda

Have a look here:

http://www.thepeaches.com/photography/Basics.htm

For more just google "basic photography".

As for books I can recommend you "How to do everything with your digital camera" by Dave Johnson or"Digital Photography for Dummies" by David D. Busch.

It's a good idea to read the camera manual to understand what is what and what it does.

HTH,

Alex

algold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2006, 9:46 PM   #5

When you put the main dial on "S" that is shutter priority. When in that mode you can move the command wheel and change the shutter speed (right side of camera upper right). The 1600 is probably the setting for the ISO, best guess. You need to go into the menu and adjust the ISO to something like 200 to 400 That represent the sensitivity response of the imager. 400 is for less light, and should give you faster shutter speeds if you are in 'AUTO' .

Go to Barnes and Nobel and find a book called "Digital Cameras for Dummies" really, that is the title. Go through that and go slow, it is kind of a funny learning curve. At first it doesn make sense and then all of a sudden things become real clear.
The Winemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2006, 4:05 AM   #6

Hi, thanks for your help, but it wasn't the ISO that has 1600 on, itis the shutter speed, it goes all the way up to 4000 (what is this in terms of ?/??.

It has that number at the bottom left of my screen next to where I have M for manual.

Thanks amanda x
Old May 15, 2006, 4:30 AM   #7

Hi, Amanda.

Please, look at the link I posted above again. It has a very good explanation of the basic terms.

Basically, shutter speed is measured in seconds or fractions of a second. To save space in the viewfinder only the denominator of the fraction is displayed. So for 1/1600 sec you will see only 1600 in the viewfinder. For shutter speeds longer than one second you'll see 1", 1.5" etc.

HTH

Alex
algold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2006, 4:38 AM   #8

Shutter speeds of 1 second and longer are shown as a number followed by a double quote mark. For example 4" represents a shutter speed of 4 seconds - i.e. the larger the value the longer the time. Where the shutter speed value is not followed by a double quote it represents the fraction of a second for which the shutter will be open e.g. 1600 represents 1/1600th of a second - i.e. the larger the value the shorter the time.

The larger the number following the F the smaller the lens aperture. Larger F numbers increase the depth of field but increase the time for which the shutter has to be open - thereby leading to possible camera shake or blurring of moving subjects.

Hope this helps.
programmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2006, 8:00 AM   #9

Hi inadhaze,

There is nothing more intimidating than looking at all the F stop, ISO, speeds and different priority modes for the first time. Its not easy and unfortunately there is no short cut to understanding what they do. Time needs to be spent reading, practicing and more practicing. It does take a while, but eventually it becomes natural.

Try the following link, its very handy and has short little pieces on everything:

http://www.dpreview.com/learn/?/glossary/

kefln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2006, 8:55 PM   #10

Hi kefln !! What part of Ireland? My Grandfather's name was James Dawson Malone. My Father was really Irish, but he was adoped and no longer had the Malone for the last name.

I'm sure there are plenty of folks with the name Malone. Would be wonderful to visit Ireland sometime. I have talked with a guy I met a few years back on ICQ. He lives in Belfast North Ireland. We have chatted on the phone from time to time.

Cheers!

Vern

The Winemaker is offline   Reply With Quote