Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old May 18, 2006, 4:31 AM   #1

As a proud new owner of a S9500 , and new to the world of manual focus and manual camera control , I would like to know how to set my focus to infinity with this camera . I have used the landscape function , but would like more control over the camera when shooting this type of situation .

I have tried using the online DOF calculator and focusing on an object 5-6 meters away then bringing the focus back a little , and my images are coming out slightly out of focus even at f11

I have also tried manualy focusing as far as the camera can see and the images are still wasted .

I am using a tripod and setting the timer , I shoot at 5MP , 9MP and RAW modes.

Secondly , how do I stop images from looking over processed/compressed in JPEG mode .

Do I set the sharpness to soft ???

Please advise .
ToddSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 18, 2006, 5:33 AM   #2
Baz

Hello Todd: I recall previous advice on this forum that to set infinity focus:

Use landscape mode. Place the lens cap on, set manual focus, then press the autofocus button. This apparently sets focus on infinity.

I haven't tried this. Give it a go & lets know if it works for you.
Baz
Baz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2006, 6:28 AM   #3

Thankyou for that , I'll give it a try and see how it goes , I recall reading this about the S7000 too .

I do wonder if this will work in full manual (M) mode too .

Old May 18, 2006, 6:32 AM   #4

To get minimal Jpeg artifacts shoot in 9MP FINE. 9MP NORMAL and 5MP use a much higher Jpeg compression ratio.

To minimize an in-camera processing set SHARPNESS to SOFT (very little in-camera sharpening), CONTRAST and SATURATION to STANDARD (or SOFT/LOW). You will have to PP your images and to adjust these settings on your computer though, but you'll have more freedom and the final IQ will be much better.

For infinity focus try what Baz told us, haven't tried it myself.

HTH
PS. congrats on your new camera
algold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2006, 3:24 AM   #5

Placing the lens cap over the lens did not seem to work , the camera could not even aquire a focus lock. I only went down to the beach and tried to shoot the ocean and cliffs , with a few bushes in the foreground , and I used landscape mode . The scenes were a little washed out and out of focus(I am using manual focus). Next time I'll either bracket or compensate by -1/3 EV or so , or use my Linear Polarizer or F-DL filter to enhance the colours of the scenes .(The shots I used auto focus for are slightly better)

I am so far very happy with my camera it has produced some amazing Macro and Super-Macro shots and some decent shots of my cars and kids ,as for taking pictures of lanscapes and urban scenes, I am slightly concerned .

However I am new to photography and have upgraded from a P&S Olympus C-220 to this new Machine , and am still learning . I have taken about 1500 shots and I'm only happy with about 100 or so .
Old May 19, 2006, 4:40 AM   #6
Baz

Hello Todd: I wonder why you feel the need to manually set the focus on infinity for the shots you have described. I've used manual focus ocassionally for macro/supermacro shots. Camera on tripod, using focus check function in viewfinder. That works fine, but I imagine handheld manual focussing in the field would be tricky.

I've taken many landscapes and dont bother with manual focus. The auto focus works fine. I mostly use the program shift exposure mode, and choose a suitable combination of shutter/aperture.

For example, in this picture the mountain is about 10 miles distant, auto focus.

Attached Images

Baz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2006, 6:04 AM   #7

Hi Baz ,

I guess being new to the full manual game , I wanted to get used to manual focusing and manual settings .

I will try again using lanscape mode or Program Shift and auto focus and see what I come up with .

I have reviewed my pictures again and did notice a slight marine/inversion layer in the surrounds possibly interfering with my photo clarity.

In regards to macro work , I do use manual focus (MF) as it gets the results i want .

Also , Super Macro or Macro Plus Closeup Filter ?? What is better to use . My close-up filter is a 2X

thanks

Todd