Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old May 22, 2006, 6:13 PM   #1

Has anyone used lithium AA batteries in their Fuji S9000/9500? Do they last longer than a typical charge of rechargeable batteries? I'm just wondering about using lithium batteries for an extended shoot where recharging would be impractical for various reasons.
jphess is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 23, 2006, 1:29 AM   #2

Lithium AA?, where can you find them, I have not looked recently but have assumed that they would never happen after seaching the web for years.
If they exist...they should last longer and just think of the weigh difference.
Coolsiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2006, 8:19 AM   #3

I think I have seen them. They come as 2 to a unit and are just like 2xAA's glued together.. so you will need 2 pairs.
Have you tried looking at the Fuji website?
Maybe I saw them there.
dgosden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2006, 10:33 AM   #4

4 pack of single AA size Lithium w/3000 mAh rating on Radioshack website for $14.99 with an average runtime of 12.3 hours reported. They seem to be universally available anywhere these days. Too bad they aren't rechargeable.

Haven't used them myself though. While they probably will outlast a fully charged set of NiMH, I would think it would be more economical to carry at least one extra set of the rechargeable variety rather than toss $15 out the window.

THE_LoneWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2006, 11:05 AM   #5

From an economy point of view, I agree that rechargeable batteries are the only way to go. But I am facing a problem, and I'm trying to think ahead. Much to my surprise, my dentist called me yesterday and asked me if I would take the pictures at his daughter's wedding in August. Now, I don't even want to get into the debate about whether or not the 9000 is suitable for the task. I know what the limitations and the problems are. And my dentist isn't the typical dentist.

Anyway, I am thinking I will have at least two extra sets of rechargeable batteries. But just in case they are needed, I thought it might be a good idea to have some disposable batteries as well. Sam's Club is selling a package of 12 AA lithium batteries for about $20. And I was thinking that since alkaline batteries just don't last very long it might be the good idea to have some of these lithium batteries as my back up. The info on the batteries says that they have a shelf life of 15 years. The info also says that they last 7 times longer in digital cameras. My only question about that is, 7 times longer than what?
Old May 23, 2006, 11:30 AM   #6

jphess wrote:
Quote:
Sam's Club is selling a package of 12 AA lithium batteries for about $20. And I was thinking that since alkaline batteries just don't last very long it might be the good idea to have some of these lithium batteries as my back up. The info on the batteries says that they have a shelf life of 15 years. The info also says that they last 7 times longer in digital cameras. My only question about that is, 7 times longer than what?
LOL, yeah I always like those 7X and 4X longer claims :-)
- First, ensure that you don't have more than 3V per 2 cell locations. Lithiums are usually 3V EACH, so they likely put them in parrallel in a TWIN-PACK, which is OK. You CAN'T put 4X 3V single Lithiums in the cammie.
- IF they were rechargeable Lithiums, you could expect around 1.5X better life than from 2500mAH NiMHds. Some of the gain is a better Internal Impedance ie more efficient usage of the charge.
- ALL non-rechargeable versions of batteries have MUCH better total energy storage than rechargeable types, up to 2-3X more. Its a chemistry thing :-)
So, I would expect, again depending on how well made they are ... min 2X to say 3.5X the energy storage of 2500mAH, so definitely worthwhile !! PLUS better cold and storage specs.
Good luck at the wedding, I've done 3 in 3 yrs, and had mixed results.
Make sure you have a good Flash (use FILL flash as much as possible), so enough power for the Flash unit as well etc etc :-)
JKirk

jkirk@oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2006, 11:42 AM   #7

I was just curious to hear if anyone had tried such batteries. The specs don't indicate what the voltage is. I guess Sam's Club assumes that their customers are too dumb to think about things like that. I guess I will have to go look in the store. Anyway, here is the link to their online offering:

http://www.samsclub.com/shopping/nav...mp;prDeTab=2#A
Old May 23, 2006, 11:55 AM   #8

Those appear to be the 3000 mAh batteries rated at 1.5 volts. Haven't yet run across any in the AA size that are more than 1.5 volts but that doesn't mean they don't exist I guess.

Great price and with a shelf life that long having them onhand as a backup seems prudent.

THE_LoneWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2006, 12:27 PM   #9
E.T

Those are propably these Lithium/Iron Disulfide batteries which have voltage of 1,5V. ("normal" lithiums are ~3V per cell)

http://data.energizer.com/PDFs/l91.pdf
E.T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2006, 1:37 PM   #10

E.T wrote:
Quote:
Those are propably these Lithium/Iron Disulfide batteries which have voltage of 1,5V. ("normal" lithiums are ~3V per cell)

http://data.energizer.com/PDFs/l91.pdf
Yep, you're right, not true* Lithiums, In which case they'll be 1.5X AT BEST better than 2500mAH NiMH (includes lower Impedance benefit)
Still, definitely worthwhile.
JKirk

jkirk@oz is offline   Reply With Quote