Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old May 23, 2006, 2:19 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 8
Default

My Fuji S602 is showing the identical symptoms as the Sony bade batch of CCDs

According to the list the 602 isn't supposed to be affected so have I got a one off or do Fuji CCDs fail in the same way?

It's got the white lines across the LCD and that green/purple curtain effect. All these problems are on the final shot as well as the LCD. It started of as a few blobs on the screen which I thought was dirt. I then spent a month in hospital and on my return I got the camera out and there it is, bright green and purple.

Any comments or help would be appreciated.
mythman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 23, 2006, 5:24 PM   #2
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 1
Default

No suggestions I'm afraid, but I have exactly the same problem and would be grateful for any input.* *It's very annoying as the camera is only just 3 years old.* *Thanks.
secondrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2006, 10:04 AM   #3
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 8
Default

Well, some good news. I sent an email to Fuji Australia and they replied within 24 hours that if the CCD is bad it will be replaced for free. All I have to do is send the camera and copies of purchase receipt and warranty card and wait 4 to six weeks.

They made a point of saying they are "Very strict on the purchase receipt" and if it's not the CCD they will charge $40 for a check and a further $120 plus parts if they repair it.



So obviously the good old s602z was fitted with a Sony CCD or at least some were. Secondrow, what sort of piccies are you getting. Are they almost totally green.

I sometimes get blotches of mauve but mainly green. The camera shows a perfect picture if a card from another camera is inserted.

Good luck mate I hope you get yours fixed for free. I'll give an update when they let me know what their diagnosis is.


mythman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2006, 11:19 AM   #4
Administrator
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Savannah, GA (USA)
Posts: 22,378
Default

mythman wrote:
Quote:
My Fuji S602 is showing the identical symptoms as the Sony bade batch of CCDs

According to the list the 602 isn't supposed to be affected so have I got a one off or do Fuji CCDs fail in the same way?
Fuji's reputation isn't exactly spotless either. For a long time, they fixed bad sensors on some products like their S2 Pro for free. Eventually, they came out with announcements about it.

Ditto for some sensors used in non-DSLR models (came out with announcements of models with CCD problems indicating a free fix was available).

I'm not aware that they've made a similar announcement with the S602 Zoom.

BTW,it's using a Fuji CCD (it's sensor was not found in models from other manufacturers).

If they're willing to fix it for free, I wouldn't complain too much.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2006, 11:52 AM   #5
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 8
Default

Hi JimC,

Because of the hype surrounding the release of the S602Z with it's new fangled Fuji CCD I also thought it would be a Sony but I made sure I told Fuji Australia that it was a 602 and not on the Sony CCD list but this is what they told me in the email:

The information that we received from FUJIFILM Japan states that any or
the listed cameras, displaying signs of having a faulty CCD sensors may be
subject to a free of charge repair.


The problem is they don't include the 602 but I know of at least one guy who had his 602 repaired for free. (Somewhere on this forum)

Any, fingers crossed cos' it sure ain't no good the way it is.


mythman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2006, 12:53 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 137
Default

mythman wrote:
Quote:
Hi JimC,

Because of the hype surrounding the release of the S602Z with it's new fangled Fuji CCD I also thought it would be a Sony but I made sure I told Fuji Australia that it was a 602 and not on the Sony CCD list but this is what they told me in the email:

The information that we received from FUJIFILM Japan states that any or
the listed cameras, displaying signs of having a faulty CCD sensors may be
subject to a free of charge repair.


The problem is they don't include the 602 but I know of at least one guy who had his 602 repaired for free. (Somewhere on this forum)

Any, fingers crossed cos' it sure ain't no good the way it is.


First off, it is a Fuji Super CCD on your S602 and not a Sony sensor. While I agree that the sensor should last longer than three years, we have unfortunately entered the age of planned obsolescence and the "throw away mentality" has obviously caused many companies to pay much less attention to quality control. I recently had a well known brand name flat screen tv that was less than a year old fail totally. Under their "warranty" (and I use the term loosely), the cost to repair it would have been more than the cost of a new unit, I bought a replacement unit from a different manufacturer. Good manufacturers will stand behind their product and make it right, Fuji seems to have done a decent job of this for many incidents I have heard about. I have a long list of manufacturers in various product categories that I will no longer purchase from, manufacturers that treat me right get my continued repeat business, those that don't never see another purchase from me. Hope all goes well with your repair.

Clyde
Clyde Atkinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2006, 11:11 PM   #7
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 8
Default

I hate to prove people wrong BUT I received a phonecall from Fuji relating to the 602z and they tell me it's on the way back via registered mail with the CCD replaced and calibrated. They have also checked the complete camera for any other faults and found none.

Now for the kicker "AT NO CHARGE"

The person I spoke with, Val was the kindest and most polite and understanding person I've had the pleasure of dealing with on any help desk and to say I'm flabbergasted would be an understatement.

I was also told that even though the camera doesn't have a Sony CCD they had a directive from Japan to replacefaulty onesanyway. In warranty or out.

So I'm either the luckiest bloke alive or Fuji is the best company I've dealt with.

HOORAY for Fuji. (This is not a paid political announcement) :-)

Mythman
mythman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2006, 8:45 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 137
Default

mythman wrote:
Quote:
I hate to prove people wrong BUT I received a phonecall from Fuji relating to the 602z and they tell me it's on the way back via registered mail with the CCD replaced and calibrated. They have also checked the complete camera for any other faults and found none.

Now for the kicker "AT NO CHARGE"

The person I spoke with, Val was the kindest and most polite and understanding person I've had the pleasure of dealing with on any help desk and to say I'm flabbergasted would be an understatement.

I was also told that even though the camera doesn't have a Sony CCD they had a directive from Japan to replacefaulty onesanyway. In warranty or out.

So I'm either the luckiest bloke alive or Fuji is the best company I've dealt with.

HOORAY for Fuji. (This is not a paid political announcement) :-)

Mythman

And that falls completely in line with what I said in my earlier post that Fuji seems to have done a good job of handling faults that I've heard about (I have not had any problems with my S7000 and hope I won't). Based on how Fuji seems to respond to problems I'm certainly inclined to continue buying their products.

Clyde
Clyde Atkinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2006, 1:07 AM   #9
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 8
Default

The 602z arrived with a docket giving me 3 months warranty on the CCD. I don't know what they did to it but it works like a new camera. I went right over it and couldn't find a mark of any description. I know for sure there were a few marks on the bottom from using the tripod and a couple of small acratches on the LCD. All these have simply gone. There isn't a mark anywhere, the darned thing even smells new.

I'm convinced they've put a new case on it. Why? I don't know. As far as I'm concerned they sent me a new camera. I'm not usually one to rave about any company, you can usually find problems if you look deep enough but I have to make an exception in this case.

So to keep up with the new camera I splurged on a Gbyte CF card. A lens barrel and set of 8 filters. Another spare battery and a new bag for all the bits. A darned sight cheaper than another camera or having to pay to have the 602 repaired.

Good On'yer Fuji, I know what my next purchase will be.

Regards To all Stu
mythman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2006, 9:11 AM   #10
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 2
Default

Hi everyone,

I too have the same problem with green / purple colour casts on the image from my Fuji S602 Pro Zoom. This follows the appearance of two black / grey dots of differing sizes during a holiday in June 2006. After a period of no usage due to illness this latest problem has occurred in the last few days.

The camera will be three years old in December 2006

Let's hope I can get some good customer service from Fuji here in the UK.

Regards, Tony.




BonyT is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 4:23 AM.