Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old May 29, 2006, 8:09 AM   #1

Hi,

this is my first post on the forum. I have been reading it a bit, and I like it very much, and I truely apreciate the information and the work that you have posted.

It helped me very much in my decision to get the Fujifilm s5600. I've upgraded from the powershot a70. The image quality of this s5600 is brilliant, very low noise at high ISO, but this is something I guess well-known already.

Somethings I do not like, of course, especialy the global quality settings that persist through different programs like ISO, image size, RAW, aso. I would like to have ISO-64 on some program when I want to go a little more artistic and ISO-Auto on AUTO for example. This I could do with the a70 and I am unable to do it here. But, besides that, it's all about picture quality in the end.

Here are two of the over 200 pictures I did these two days I had the camera. Unfortumately I had not a computer with me to see the results as I shoot. Anyway I wanted to test the camera with some sun-set/night photos.

These were taken last night after a serious storm. What you see is what the camera produced on JPEG 5F, with a little light from Picasa2, but no sharpening.

akebono is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 29, 2006, 8:11 AM   #2

First one:

9mm, ISO-64. 1/28s, F/3.2

For this I forced the camera to stay on ISO-64,but I used the anti-blur mode. It may have been better to go on manual with some longer exposure. I find the picture to be a little dark and noisy.
Attached Images

Old May 29, 2006, 8:12 AM   #3

Second, same position.

22mm, ISO-800, 1/140s, F/3.5 - a little noisy, but since the ISO I consider it ok:

Opinions are highly apreciated, so please post your thoughts.
Attached Images

Old May 29, 2006, 5:30 PM   #4

Hi Akebono.

Congrats on your new camera, you picked a good model, enjoy it.

I like the dramatic sky in your pics and that Metro sign really stands out.

The noise is not a problem here and you can easily remove it.

Play with your cam and keep the pics coming.

Regards,

Alex.

PS. I just run a noise removal on your image, hope you don't mind.
The first pic is actually in a Landscape mode, so you haven't forced it into anything:-)

Attached Images

algold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2006, 2:30 AM   #5

Thanks for the reply algold.

I realy like what you have done with the picture. Yes, you are right, it was landscape mode. I confused it with some other.

Can you tell me please what software you have used to remove the noise and also what kind of algorithm (if any)?

PS: I was very keen on going on low ISOs also onbad conditions, but your processed image proved me that I can relax a bit.
Old May 31, 2006, 3:07 PM   #6

I use "Digital Camera Noise Removal" option in Paint Shop Pro 9 andNoise Ninja in PhotoShop. There are freeware stand-alone noise removal programs like Neat Image, Imagenomic Noiseware Community Edition, DCE Tools etc.

HTH,

Alex
Old Jun 4, 2006, 4:47 PM   #7

Thanks for the reply algold. I tryied also the NN as standalone and it looks very not bad . Can you tell me please what exaclty have you used for the case above?

Thank you.
Old Jun 5, 2006, 12:49 PM   #8

I used "Digital Camera Noise Removal" option in Paint Shop Pro 9.

Noise Ninja is more flexible and can give you better results, Neat Image is very good too and free.

cheers,

Alex