Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Jun 11, 2006, 9:44 AM   #11

Ok I have taken onboard what you all have said and today I decided to try out the following settings:

Camera set on shutter priority setting with shutter speed set at1000 for this shot but I have also used800 for some shots, iso set to 100 and the high speed shutter option enabled in the options menu.

In this shot I was at full zoom with the tcon-17 1.7x lens attached.

Any thoughts on the shot
Attached Images

spunkmyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2006, 11:51 AM   #12

typical 'camera shake'

try using a monopod and a cable release for extreme telephoto shots

THEY CAN't BE HAND HELD W/O A SHUTTER SPEED OF 1/2000 (preferably 1/4000)

Hence the $4000 pro lenses with f2.8 apertures

Last edited by bernabeu; Jun 27, 2015 at 4:24 PM.
bernabeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2006, 6:06 AM   #13

It's the ratio of lens aperture diameter to focal length. f/2.8 means the diameter is the focal length (f) divided by 2.8. The smaller the diameter of the aperture, the smaller the fraction, so the denominator (2.8, 5.6, etc.) will be larger for smaller openings.

[email protected] wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
so the higher the aperture number the larger the aperture is open and the smaller the number the less the aperture is open.
This is backwards. The lower the f-number, the larger the aperture and the higher the f-number the smaller the aperture. As I understand it, the f number is the ratio of the focal length of the lens to the diameter of the aperture, therefore, at a fixed focal length, a smaller aperture diameter gives a larger f-number.

Tom LaPrise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2006, 6:14 AM   #14

Spunkmyer, your B-17 shot (first post) doesn't look to me like you blurred the shot by moving or shaking-- it looks more like there might have been a delay between when the focus locked and the shutter fired. The blur looks pretty uniform, not primarily in one direction.

As jphess advised, a higher ISO (therefore higher shutter speed and possibly smaller aperture) would help, and if you can, try spot-focusing on the nose of an airplane flying toward you so that if there is a delay between focus lock and shutter fire, the plane hasn't flown out of focus.
Tom LaPrise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2006, 6:38 AM   #15

Tom LaPrise wrote:
Quote:
It's the ratio of lens aperture diameter to focal length. f/2.8 means the diameter is the focal length (f) divided by 2.8. The smaller the diameter of the aperture, the smaller the fraction, so the denominator (2.8, 5.6, etc.) will be larger for smaller openings.

[email protected] wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
so the higher the aperture number the larger the aperture is open and the smaller the number the less the aperture is open.
This is backwards. The lower the f-number, the larger the aperture and the higher the f-number the smaller the aperture. As I understand it, the f number is the ratio of the focal length of the lens to the diameter of the aperture, therefore, at a fixed focal length, a smaller aperture diameter gives a larger f-number.

You're absolutely right Tom. I got my ratios mixed up. Don't know where my mind was at when I made the statement.

Wolverine@MSU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2006, 1:28 AM   #16

Ok thanks for the advice on the camera settings. I used different settings yesterday at the Fairford RIATbut the most common was shutter speed 800/1000 apature f3.6/f5 iso 100/200, high shutter speed option enabled in the options menu.

Using the tcon 17 telephoto lens and keeping hand shake under control as much as possible I scored this shot which hasmade my day
Attached Images

spunkmyer is offline   Reply With Quote