Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Jun 1, 2006, 4:25 PM   #11

jphess wrote:
Quote:
If your flash unit is built like the one you referred to, there is apparently a switch somewhere on the unit that you can switch between Auto, Manual, and Slave modes. I think I would try it in the Auto mode first. If that doesn't work, try setting it up as a slave flash that can be triggered from the camera flash. It says you can also use a sync cord, so you might want to try that if none of the other ideas work. Sorry, I have run out of ideas.
I can only find 2 switches. One is on/off and the other is N/S1/S2. I've tried taking pictures with it on all of them. Not working. How do I try to set it up as a slave flash? And will it work that way if I can't turn the camera flash on? The external mounts on top and the flash cant pop up with it there
Buffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2006, 4:30 PM   #12

I found the test button and can get it to flash. I'm thinking now that it's a problem with the settings on the camera?? But my husband threw away the instructions after I set it up the first time. Since then it's been at fuji for repair and I think they reset all of the settings. Any clue?
Old Jun 1, 2006, 4:36 PM   #13

WOW. Guess what I did? I plugged in the sync cord, leaving the camera on the hot shoe and it worked. :|

Who would have thought

Thanks to you all for your help! I'll be sure to let you know how it works out at the concert tonight. Gotta be better than those basketball pictures I took in February :G
Old Jun 1, 2006, 4:45 PM   #14

Well, I'm only guessing here, because I don't know anything about your flash unit. But I'm guessing that the "N/S1/S2" switch would be to switch between "Normal" and "Slave 1" and "Slave 2". Again, only a guess, but Slave 1 MIGHT tell the flash to fire when it sees the first flash from the camera, where Slave 2 MIGHT be to tell it to wait until the second flash from the camera, like for red eye reduction. Normal would be probably the standard automatic mode. The "N" mode is the one that I would think would work when the unit is mounted on your camera.

When you choose one of the slave settings, you would not have the unit attached to your camera. Instead, you would probably want to position it where it could be the most effective. Then you would also use the built-in flash. When the built-in flash fires it would cause the other unit to fire too. You might try searching for a website for your flash manufacturer and see if there are any user manuals available for download or viewing. I wish I could help you more.
jphess is offline   Reply With Quote