Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Jun 1, 2006, 6:58 AM   #1

Hi there everyone. Sorry to be a pest but I am having some trouble. I bought an external flash (Bower Super Fire Power Hotshoe flash) for my Fuji S9000 camera. I get power to it but it doesn't actually go off. Do I have a setting wrong or am I doing something wrong? I've just gone through heck with this camera (had to send it in to be fixed - what a mess) and now it's back. I have a school concert tonight where it's dark and I'll need the flash but I can't get it to work Any help you could give me would be great!

Thanks!
Buffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 1, 2006, 7:59 AM   #2

You should switch on the external flash option in the camera menu. After that set your camera to manual mode andset shutter speed to 1/125-1/250. The ISO and F-number should be set according to the flash instructions.

HTH
algold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2006, 8:00 AM   #3

In the menus there's an option for turning on the external flash. You can then use your flash on the hot shoe or through a sync cable attached ti the plug on the front of the camera.
Wolverine@MSU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2006, 10:08 AM   #4

I was looking for an option but couldnt find it :?

Can someone point me to it? :sad:
Old Jun 1, 2006, 10:47 AM   #5

It's on the Photography menu. You can find information on accessing that menu on page 64 of your user manual.
jphess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2006, 10:59 AM   #6

jphess wrote:
Quote:
It's on the Photography menu. You can find information on accessing that menu on page 64 of your user manual.
Thanks
Old Jun 1, 2006, 2:48 PM   #7

I have found the menu and changed the setting and the external flash is still not going off :sad: What in the world is going on?? :angry:
Old Jun 1, 2006, 3:18 PM   #8

I really don't know how to help you at this point. I have done a Google search on the model you said you have, and I didn't find any reference to it. I'm going to ask some questions that will probably seem obvious, but I want to make sure we are on the same wavelength.

1. Is this a hot shoe flash rather than a slave flash?
2. Have you installed batteries in the flash unit?
3. Have you tried triggering the flash with the test button on the unit?
4. After you attach the flash to the camera, did you turn the flash on?
5. Is the flash designed for a specific brand of camera?
6. Can you provide a link where I can read the specs for your flash?

Answer these questions, and let's go from there.
Old Jun 1, 2006, 4:31 PM   #9

jphess wrote:
Quote:
I really don't know how to help you at this point. I have done a Google search on the model you said you have, and I didn't find any reference to it. I'm going to ask some questions that will probably seem obvious, but I want to make sure we are on the same wavelength.

1. Is this a hot shoe flash rather than a slave flash?
2. Have you installed batteries in the flash unit?
3. Have you tried triggering the flash with the test button on the unit?
4. After you attach the flash to the camera, did you turn the flash on?
5. Is the flash designed for a specific brand of camera?
6. Can you provide a link where I can read the specs for your flash?

Answer these questions, and let's go from there.
1. I THOUGHT it was a hot shoe but the box says something about "Inbuilt Intelligence slave for wireless photography"

2. I have put new batteries and the flash does get power.

3. I cant find a test button. Maybe I just dont know where to look? :sad:

4. Yes the flash turns on. It makes that whiny noise and the light comes on when it's ready.

5. The place that I bought the camera told me that this flash is compatible. When I had my camera at Fuji getting repaired I sent the flash too so that he could make sure that wasnt what caused my problem and he said it's fine so I assume it's compatible.

6. This is the closest that I could find. Mine is an SF 328AZ (whatever that means) http://www.42photo.com/productdetail...roductid=13081

Thanks for all your help. I FINALLY get the hang of the picture taking and now this :?
Old Jun 1, 2006, 4:51 PM   #10

If your flash unit is built like the one you referred to, there is apparently a switch somewhere on the unit that you can switch between Auto, Manual, and Slave modes. I think I would try it in the Auto mode first. If that doesn't work, try setting it up as a slave flash that can be triggered from the camera flash. It says you can also use a sync cord, so you might want to try that if none of the other ideas work. Sorry, I have run out of ideas.