Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Jun 6, 2006, 12:36 PM   #1

I just got my s9500 back from repair for a week... the lens was replaced andthe indoor results look alot better now.

But i took some outside shots today and they look horrible, not sharp at all and overexposed, even when the lightconditions were excellent. I also used the right focusing modes and followed the manual.

I took every testshot with 3 different light metering modes, that didn't help, so then I locked a less bright exposure and thenI took the shot but they are still way and way to soft. Softness is somethingI can live with but the outside pics are just not usable for anything.

I must ad that i used a adapter (the power specs were and exact matchfrom theoriginal Fuji adapter )not from Fuji to power the cam some days before.
is the cam broken somehow because of this? :sad:

Anyhoe, i hope someone can help me with this prob, I hate these kind of results... makes me wanna buy a Nikon -_-...I really don't want that because it will cost me alot of cash, I just want my Fuji to perform properly,

I am planning a vacation to Cuba, but with this kinds of result taking pics there would be futile

( they may look fine to the untrained eye but this kinds of pics really don't belong on a 600 euro cam )

http://img414.imageshack.us/img414/2854/dscf10335rr.jpg

http://img414.imageshack.us/img414/3826/dscf10641ql.jpg

http://img414.imageshack.us/img414/3517/dscf10689ci.jpg

cypher666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 6, 2006, 1:57 PM   #2

" I must ad that i used a adapter (the power specs were and exact matchfrom theoriginal Fuji adapter )not from Fuji to power the cam some days before.
is the cam broken somehow because of this? :sad: "

Nope. That has NO detrimental effect at all, in fact the cammie can accept quite a wide Voltage input range .. app 4.8 - 7.2V .. even though it not documented.
The pix are definitely [email protected], but It's hard to tell what went wrong without the EXIF data. Was it a very glary day ? That can play havoc with exposure.
Sorry to hear about the problems, hope it can be sorted out.
JKirk

jkirk@oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2006, 2:13 PM   #3

Thx for the reply ^^

Yes.. it was quite bright outside.. no clouds and a very bright sun was out.

But i don't understand why the images are al crappy like that..
If you save them then you can see the Exif data in full detail.

If you can't just say so and i will post the data myself.
Old Jun 6, 2006, 6:01 PM   #4

cypher666 wrote:
Quote:
... makes me wanna buy a Nikon -_-...I really don't want that because it will cost me alot of cash, I just want my Fuji to perform properly,
Nikon sounds good :-), but to get the best out of your Fuji try to set the resolution to 9MP FINE and SHARPNESS to NORMAL (your settings are 5MP NORMAL and SHARPNESS - HARD), also in bright light set the ISO to 80 or 100 (it's 200 in your pics). Multizone metering (photometry) works well in most situations. In tricky high contrast situations use spot metering and AE (autoexposure) lock + focus lock and recompose the image.

NORMAL Jpeg setting uses a quite high compression ratio and can degrade image especially at lower resolution. IMHO you cripple your nice cam shooting at low resolution. Hard sharpness involves a lot of in-camera sharpening, that doesn't add to image quality either and you can get much better results sharpening your pics in your favorite image editor.

The sweet spot of the S9500's lens is between F4 and F5.6, in this range the image is sharpest. Closer to the minimum aperture (F8- F11) image becomes a bit softer, the same with maximum aperture (F2.8).

Just my $0.05
algold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2006, 6:05 PM   #5

Thx for the advice...

I will put it to the test tomorrow, thank you very much again, i am very relieved that i'mgetting some concrete info.

And huh... 5MP is Normal compressed?
I thought all res lower then 9 MP Normal were FINE compressed >_<

SO much to learn... ;_;
thx again !!