Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Jun 14, 2006, 2:24 PM   #1

Hi, I have a Fuji Finepix F410 which has developed a problem. Recently, any photos taken in bright sunlight have been ruined by a white hue in the background. The problem means that I can't take any photos outside if it is in any way sunny at all, and even when it is overcast it can occur sometimes too. I read about the firmware upgrade but my problem seems different as in video capute mode it will capture the light perfectly no matter what the conditions. Below is an example of the pictures which result when i try to use my camera in sunlight.
Many thanks in advance, Seán.

Mr.Sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 15, 2006, 3:42 AM   #2

Hi, Sean.

The pic looks grossly overexposed. Either you shoot in a very bright light and the cam hits it's limits and can't make the exposure any shorter, or it's electronic brain has developed a fault.

Check if you can set ISO to a lower value (it's set to 200).

Sorry, can't really help here
algold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2006, 8:51 AM   #3

I think it may be a fault with the camera brain when it comes to storing photographs because it works ok in video capture mode. As for the sunlight, I'm not sure because it did work ok before. There are two comparasin shots below

This one was taken with my mobile phone (Sony Ericsson)

And this is the same photo taken with my digital camera, with ISO 200

Old Jun 15, 2006, 9:04 AM   #4
Administrator

Make sure you don't have Exposure Compensation set to a +EV Value (which will expose an image brighter than the metering thinks it needs to expose it).

If that doesn't help it, try resetting everything back to factory defaults, in case another setting is causing a problem. You'll find a RESET ALL menu choice under your setup menu.

If that doesn't work, try a different battery. Sometimes a voltage problem can mess up exposure with a defective battery. I had a similar problem with a pocket camera a while back (overexposed everything). Replacing the battery solved it.

Of course, it could also be a failed component in the camera (it happens).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2006, 9:19 AM   #5
Administrator

According to the EXIF in your images, Exposure Compensation was not set to a +EV value. So, it's probably something else. Try resetting everything back to defaults anyway (using the RESET ALL menu choce).

I'd probably try a different battery and memory card in it (in case one or the other is defective, causing a voltage problem impacting metering and exposure) before giving up on it.

Old Jun 15, 2006, 11:57 AM   #6

I have reset the camera and changed the xD card and the problem still persists. If it was the battery, would letting the battery fully discharge before charging again help fix the voltage problem, or would there be no effect?
Old Jun 15, 2006, 12:03 PM   #7
Administrator

Mr.Sean wrote:
Quote:
I have reset the camera and changed the xD card and the problem still persists. If it was the battery, would letting the battery fully discharge before charging again help fix the voltage problem, or would there be no effect?
I don't know. I apparently had a bad battery with one camera, because after I swapped it with another one, the overexposure problem went away. I did discharge and recharge it (and it appeared to be taking a charge OK).

I never tried to measure it's voltage or anything to see what it's problem may have been (but, unless you're testing a battery under load, measuring it may not tell you anything anyway).

You may want to try to find someone with the same camera (or a demo in a camera store that has the same battery in it) to see if changing it makes a difference or not if you don't have a spare battery for it.

Old Jun 15, 2006, 12:11 PM   #8

I have a multimeter somewhere, I'll have a go at testing the voltage first. I was looking at replacement batteries on ebay as I don't have a spare.
Would you reccommend going for a non Fuji one? Or would i be best searching for an original by fuji?

Old Jun 15, 2006, 12:15 PM   #9
Administrator

That's up to you. Quality can vary between third party batteries, and I've heard a few stories about cheap batteries exploding because of lack of voltage protection circuitry (although it's rare, it happens).

Better made third party batteries are probably just as good as the Fuji ones (and it wouldn't surprise me to find out that some of them come out of the same factories). Figuring out the good ones from the bad ones is the hard part. lol I've used third party batteries without problems myself. But, some users insist on the manufacturer's batteries. In some cases, usng a third party battery could void a warranty, too.

But, I wouldn't assume that swapping the battery will fix it. It could also be a defective component somwhere (voltage regulator, CCD, analog to digital converter, etc.).

Old Jun 15, 2006, 12:20 PM   #10

I just tested the voltage, under no load the voltage was 4.13, and not the stated 3.70
I havent been able to test it under any sort of load, but i would assume this is a sign that the battery is indeed the problem.
Many thanks for your help in finding what was wrong!

Regarding the battery, I'll source what other models share the same battery and see if I can find a shop which still sells one of those cameras (bearing in mind mine is at least two years old)

Some retailers selling non-fuji replacement batteries state their cells are produced by sony or panasonic, as these are reputable firms I may go with this type instead because sourcing a genuine fuji battery is somewhat difficult!