Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Jun 29, 2006, 12:28 AM   #1

Hi,
I had clicked loads pf photos at a local cultural festival and a vintage car rally held in my city.While transferring photos, I did the dumbest thing ever.I accidentally "cut" the photos from the camera card drive(removable disk) instr=ead of "copy".Just when I pasted the photos in my computer hard drive, I recieved an error mssage from my computer about a virus.Lo behold!, I have lost those photos.It's neither exists in the camera xD card nor in my computer hard drive.:?
I tried a few recovery software available in the internet(courtesy:Google) and used them.But they came up with only photos that I had deliberately deleted.

It's been 3 months and I still hate myself for that stupid act.I ran across this forum y'day and I thought one of you could help me out here.Hope u guys do that.Thanks

Regards,
Abhi
abhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 29, 2006, 2:23 AM   #2

After three months the chances of recovering those images are very low. Once the space is overwritten on either the memory card or hard drive you can't recover them.

I have no idea why recovery software couldn't find them on the memory card if you didn't use it at all before using the software.

I suppose you looked in the recycle bin. They are probably gone from there as well after three months – even if they went there initially.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2006, 6:45 AM   #3

As soon as the moment I got that virus alert, I tried to paste those photos in the hard drive, but to no use.I looked in the recycle bin the very next moment , but I didn't find it there.One more grave mistake I committed that I didn't couldn't use the recovry softwares on the memory card coz my cousin borrowed the camera and shot photos, filling the entire card.
Since then, I have become very cautious while transferring photos.Also, I format the card only through the camera since people told me thats the best way.
Old Jun 29, 2006, 9:10 AM   #4

Do not format the card to delete unwanted pics as this will permantly remove them, you cannot retrieve them if the card is formatted. Use the card delete function, this way if you accidentally delete a pic it can usually be recovered.

Nev Cross

Australia:|
Nev Cross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2006, 1:46 AM   #5

No, I think you got me wrong.What I meant was that if at all I had to format the card, I do it through the camera not any other way.
I always format the card after I transfer the photos to the hard drive.Nev.Is that not a good idea??
Old Jun 30, 2006, 7:42 AM   #6

Hi Abhi, after you transfer the pics to your computer and no longer want them on your card you can remove them two ways, one is by deleting them with the delete menu function the other is by formatting the card.

If you format the card, all the pics are lost forever, you cannot recover them, they have gone to God!

If you delete them however, you can use recovery software to retrieve them if they have been accidentally deleted as long as you do not re-use the card and overwrite the data. It's similar to your computer hard drive, if you format the drive all data is lost, it cannot be recovered, if you delete data you can usually get it back with undelete software.

Cheers,

Nev :|

Nev Cross is offline   Reply With Quote