Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Jul 6, 2006, 4:54 PM   #21

jphess-

I'm sorry but this will be the last photo as I have to head off to a Dr's appointment.

This is the Fuji S-9000 at the default settings.

MT
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2006, 7:02 PM   #22

Cameras have always been made in different sizes, formats, and abilities.* You are comparing apples and oranges here.* Both will make images of excellent quality in almost any situation.* Which is better in a given situation is academic, as you and your family and friends won't be able to discern the fine differences described in the technical evaluations.* (As they used to say "an amateur can tell the difference, but a professional wouldn't care!").* ** *For me it was like choosing between a high-performance compact car and a spacious mini-van.* Ideally, I'd have both.* With cameras this is a reasonable possibility, so I got both.* * *The s9000 is great in the studio and for those times when I want to be seen as "the guy with the big black camera who obviously knows what he's doing."* (There are times when being "the Official Photographer" has its advantages…).* ** *But most of the time I don't want to haul gear (did it for too long ;>*and I want to take photos without attracting a lot of notice or attention.* The little silver point & shoot is innocuous and slips in and out my pocket with no fuss.* Its low-light capability means that the flash stays off (even though it works so darned well in its fancy fill mode !).* The F30's image quality is better than I'd ever hoped to see in a digicam and its no-fuss operation is a delight.* *(…and nobody has a clue that the snapshots I'm taking will be portfolio quality.) * ** *Both Fujis have fine image quality -- just the opinion of an experienced and fussy old photog without any high tech evaluation capability.* I just know that I like these pictures a lot, in terms of color, sharpness, detail and gradation.* They could use a bit more latitude -- digital imaging is like going from print film back to slide film, with the constant threat of lost (forever) highlights.* But by the time you are experienced enough to worry about this, the latest cameras will have enough bit-depth to fix the problem.* * *If I could only own one digital, I'd be hard pressed to choose, as both are sweet machines.* I guess it's like choosing a car -- you go with what serves you best most of the time.* Just remember that they all run out of battery power and they all malfunction and sometimes they get lost and stolen.* So do as I did and get both!* * *P.S.:* Your "backup" xD card that rides in the s9000 becomes a convenient spare chunk of storage for the F30.* That 580-frame battery will let you fill your cards rather easily.
Paul Herzoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2006, 7:32 PM   #23

Hello Wundering,* ** *After thinking about it overnight, I recalled that the s9000 is a real handful to learn.* While digital cameras offer so many choices, parameters, and adjustments as to render them daunting to anyone, the s9000 is really a complicated beast to operate. (Note the many complaints in this forum from those who use it as a point & shoot and aren't thrilled with the results.* Heck, I'm on my third tour of the manual and still don't have a handle on many features.)* ** *The F30 has enough controls and variables to keep you occupied and challenged until long after it is obsolete.* Its large LCD (about twice the size of the s9000) will spoil you. * ** *If you don't need the long telephoto and the tilting LCD, then the F30 would be my first choice. Its convenience will help you get the kind and amount of photographic experience you need to move up to more complicated gear. …and it has more than enough versatility to let you learn the digital ropes.* ** *Here's an available-light image from my new F30: * ** *p.s.:* I'm new at this forum posting stuff.* Just noticed the date on your post…* oops, you're probably past this issue already!* Nevertheless…
Attached Images

Old Jul 28, 2006, 7:36 PM   #24

Paul, what is it with you and question marks? Any "special" relationship you have with it or have you been skipping classes in junior school when they tought you how and whento use it?

Just asking 'cuz it's pretty annoying they way you drop a few of 'em every three words you write.

Cheers and good luck!

P.S. Or is it your keyboards to blame?
zygh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2006, 7:48 PM   #25

Greetings zygh!I haven't used any question marks.* I don't see any on my screens either.* I'm a* newbie here, and having some trouble with text entry in Steve's Forums.* For instance i've been using multiple spaces to separate paragraphs because the preview removes all of my returns and my sentences run together.* Perhaps the software is replacing my spaces with ????'s.* I'll figure it all out eventually, thanks for the heads-up.* Sorry to annoy.BTW:* I was in the darkroom in junior high school, skipped everything I could.zygh wrote:
Quote:
Paul, what is it with you and question marks? Any "special" relationship you have with it or have you been skipping classes in junior school when they tought you how and when*to use it?

Just asking 'cuz it's pretty annoying they way you drop a few of 'em every three words you write.

Cheers and good luck!

P.S. Or is it your keyboards to blame?

Old Jul 28, 2006, 8:52 PM   #26

Let's try again. I've switched to a browser from a despised source and yes I can see in my posts that there is a ? wherever I use a double space, which is after every sentence, because I learned to type on a typewriter.

Also, I'll test here and see if I can skip a line to indicate a paragraph.
Or if my carriage returns actually return. (Another double space here) I figure I can experiment on this topic as it's old and gray and no one is paying attention anymore.

Still, I hope that Wundering has a camera by now.
Old Jul 29, 2006, 10:14 AM   #27

I know there are pixel peepers here who have done "exhaustive" and "scientific" comparisons of the images from both of these cameras. And they have come to informed conclusions, based on their testing, and that one camera or the other takes significantly better pictures. And I don't believe any of it. Both cameras are capable of taking excellent photographs. And if it is possible to really set up identical conditions, I don't believe there would be in the difference to see or to quantify in any way. So what it boils down to is choosing the camera that has the features you want. Personally, my big hands have a difficult time with the little cameras. I don't like using any of them. And that is one of the main reasons I like the 9000. It's big enough that I can handle it comfortably.

Some people talk about the huge LCD screen available on the F30. Okay, if that is what you are after, that is probably a good feature. But I didn't purchase my camera to be entertained by the LCD. I use it to frame the picture generally, and it doesn't matter to me whether it's big enough to be a regular photo or not. I don't waste a lot of time looking at pictures on the camera.
jphess is offline   Reply With Quote