Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Jul 1, 2006, 6:41 PM   #1

I am considering buying either the s9000 or the F30.

I know they have very different specs.

I really need the F30, and I see the S9000 as a "future-proofing" purchase - so that if I want to do more, I have it available.

My main concern is image quality. How do the 2 compare within the normal ISO range of 100-400. After that, the F30 seems to win hands down.

Which is sharper?
How's the PF?
Which has better exposure?
How is the autofocus? Which is more accurate ?

Also, the F30 is slow (F 5) on the long end of it's zoom, which is only 114mm (or so). What's the minimum aperture on the S9000 at that focal length? If the lens is twice as slow I don't think the higher ISO will help so much.

THanks
wundering is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 1, 2006, 11:11 PM   #2

I've had the opportunity to use both cameras, both of which are great cameras with a slightly different approach to low light photography. In my opinion, here are the pros and cons of both. You are backwards on the high ISO quality. The S9000 wins hands down.

I like the FZ30's twin command dials and the IS helps in low light - slow shutter speeds at a stationary subject. The build is better than average and the edge sharpness at wide angle is a bit better than the S9000. It's a good camera for elderly or beginning photographers especially in the "auto" modes.The FZ30 does have more noise at all ISO speeds than the S9000, butprobably not noticeable 6" X8" prints. Likemost consumer digicams, the FZ30 produces snappy, slightly over sharpened, saturated prints. To me the cons of this camera are the SD memory, proprietary battery and a 35mm wide angle.

I prefer the S9000's menu over the FZ30's, but the single command dial makes it a wash in the operation department. S9000 build, like the FZ30 is better than average with a polycarbonate body. The S9000 doesn't have IS butwith better than two stopsover the FZ30 in the noise department allows faster shutter speeds in low light. If you are shooting a moving object in low-light this is an advantage. The S9000 is not a point and shoot.The S9000 shines when used in manual or aperture priority modes. The S9000 definitely has more resolution than the FZ30, but one would never notice on prints under 11" X14". I prefer the more subdued film-like contrast and less in-camera sharpening of the S9000. To me the pros of this camera are the AA batteries, CF memory and the 28mm wide angle. It also has a very short shutter delay. Thecons of the S9000 are the single command dial and again, this camera is not a point and shoot for beginners.

I sat up my elderly but experienced father upthe FZ30 and he is very happy with it. He doesn't shoot low-light photography and memory type wasn't an issue.

I chose the S9000 and likewise am very happy with mine. My other Nikon and Fuji SLRs take CF memory like most pro-line cameras, so the S9000's CF memory was important. If you've ever been on a remote shoot and lost a battery, you could understand why AA batteries are important to me.

Both are great cameras with slightly different purposes. If you're an occasional photographer, I'd give the nod to the FZ30. If you're an advanced photographer and don't want to carry a SLR and multiple lenses, I'd give the nod to the S9000.

honus402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2006, 11:28 PM   #3

I seriously doubt you will get definitive answers to your questions here or on any forum. Rather, you're going to be overloaded by opinions. Personally, I don't believe in the "normal" ISO range you will see enough difference in picture quality between the two cameras to matter. What you need to do is decide which camera is going to meet your needs, size, features, zoom strength, etc. and then purchase whichever camera meets your need. It's not like you are making a lifelong decision. Technology is going to change, that is something you simply cannot prevent. Either camera will provide you with excellent photographs. Just decide which type of camera meets your needs. I use the S9000, and I'm very happy with it. There are others who are not happy with it, and there are still others who are highly critical of it. As far as the F30 is concerned, many who have purchased it are extremely happy. I read one post on another forum from someone who said they were returning theirs.

Every time a new model of any camera from any company hits the market expectations seem to be higher than what any camera will produce. This is particularly true in the compact and prosumer lines of cameras. People seem to expect the camera to outperform even the promises from the manufacturer, and when they discover that true perfection has not been achieved yet they are disappointed. I became caught up in all of the hype surrounding the S9000 and just had to have one. I was convinced that the pictures would be so superior to my 5100 that I would just not be able to get by without the new camera. Now don't misunderstand, I am extremely pleased with the 9000. But my wife took a little trip recently and took the 5100 with her. She came home with some wonderful photographs. In short, I think you are putting too much importance into this decision. However, now you will probably receive answers from those who really know better.
jphess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2006, 11:32 PM   #4

Maybe I have misunderstood. I thought he was asking for a comparison of the Fuji S9000 and the new Fuji F30. That may not be the case. Either way, I stand by what I said in my previous answer.
Old Jul 2, 2006, 12:21 AM   #5

jphess:

No, I think you are correct. I should have put my reading glasses on before I replied. Obviously I thought he was comparing the Panasonic FZ30 to the S9000 and not the Fuji F30. My mistake.
honus402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2006, 8:34 AM   #6

Sorry for the confusion. I meant the Fuji film F30, not the Panasonic FZ30.

wundering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2006, 11:29 PM   #7

wundering-

I happen to own BOTH the S-9000 and the F-30. My biggest complaints with the S-9000are its lack of real sharpness, its lack of contrast, and eveness of the exposure.

The F-30 fixes all those shortfalls. Take a look at the attached photo.

MT
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2006, 11:40 AM   #8

I think it is puzzling that you have a problem with sharpness with your 9500. I have taken scenic photos in the Tetons, family pictures under various lighting conditions, and have been amazed at just how sharp and detailed they are.
Old Jul 6, 2006, 1:40 PM   #9

jphess-

Here is an example photo showing the kind of photos I have gotten with my S-9000.

MT
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2006, 2:38 PM   #10

Here's a review of the F30: http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/fu...ew/index.shtml . As things stand now, the F30 is probably the best P&S compact camera on the market (not that the F11 and the F10 before it were second to any). I'd tell you what. As things look right now for the F30, other digicam brands would have to do a spanking job at it to convince me to ever buy anything BUT Fujifilm. I love my F10 and would upgrade to the F30 if only for the manual settings.
zygh is offline   Reply With Quote