Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Jul 11, 2006, 3:12 PM   #1

Hi

I hope someone can tell me I'm wrong but I've spend several hours trying to take any decent shots with my new 9500, so far I'm totally disappointed. I've sent the camera back to fuji who returned it saying they could not find a fault.

I've got 2 sample images taken at the same time of the same subject at roughly the same zoom. Its clear that the s5000 image is far far better, its clearer, sharper and will zoom more before pixels are visible.

Anyone else have the same problems.

Toad

Toad is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 11, 2006, 4:41 PM   #2

Sounds to me like another case of new user panic. In comparing the images from both cameras did you compare them at 100 percent magnification, or did you just open the images and look at them? You are going to find that your monitor will not do the S9000 justice when looking at an image in "standard" magnification. Also, have you tried printing any of the images? It's pretty hard to really comment because you haven't provided us with any samples. And, one other thing, the S9000 is NOT a point and shoot camera and you will not get your best results in the Auto mode. It takes some initiative on your part to learn how to use this camera. Let's see some examples, and we will go from there.
jphess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2006, 5:09 PM   #3

Hi

I tried to attach the sample images but couldn't work out how to do it.

I have printed a few images and in particular the ones I want to upload as samples. Its clear in the printed images from 100yards that the s5000 is a much better image.

Every single picture I've taken with the 9500 is grainy and very noisy.

Old Jul 11, 2006, 5:23 PM   #4

What ISO setting are you using? Auto? Not a good choice. Try setting the ISO to 80 or 100. Are you using auto exposure? Not a good choice. Try using aperture preferred mode instead. What kind of light conditions did you have for your grainy pictures? Again, it's hard to evaluate with no samples. This is one of the easier forums for attaching images. Just browse and find your image and attach it.
Old Jul 11, 2006, 5:32 PM   #5

I reduced the attachment size now, oops was far too big
Attached Images

Old Jul 11, 2006, 5:44 PM   #6

I tried several different ISO's and settled on 80 being the best image quality, I have tried programmed auto modes and found better results but I'm just not skilled enough to operate the camera quickly enough hence I was expecting a better result on auto. As for the higher ISO settings, the noise is so bad its just not useable.

1600 is just a complete none starter, I've seen better results from a £5 toy CMOS camera.

Something that is interesting is that I've had to reduce the image size from the 5000 to just 800x600 to get it small enough to post on this forum. This must say that there is more information in the image to start with hence more bytes. Something does not add up here.

Toad
Attached Images

Old Jul 11, 2006, 5:44 PM   #7

Well, there wasn't any EXIF data I could look at. It looks like you were zoomed in rather extensively. If you were holding the camera you'll find it is difficult to get good clear telephoto images. Yes, your subject is magnified. But so is any camera movement. Another observation is that, right in the middle of your picture there may not be enough detail for the camera to focus properly. Did you hear the confirmation beep when you pressed the shutter about halfway down? Also, what ISO was this image taken with? .
Old Jul 11, 2006, 5:47 PM   #8

Oh yeah forgot to mention the 9500 shots were using a tripod, camera shake I could live with, that would be my fault and something I could do something about.

No matter what I do the images are better from the 5000

Toad
Old Jul 11, 2006, 5:48 PM   #9

If you didn't have to reduce the size of the S9000 image in order to post it, then you aren't shooting in the highest quality camera mode. What settings are you using? Do you even know?
Old Jul 11, 2006, 5:55 PM   #10

Sorry its late and I'm falling asleep, I've been up for many hours now. There is no exif info in the pictures due to resizing them to upload. Both images were taken with the cameras on full auto on tripods ans both cameras did achieve focus lock. I've taken several similar shots where I've used both cameras on auto testing different subjects from colourful foliage to indoor shots of a bookcase.

The bookcase was an interesting point as some book jackets were not readable when photographed with the 9500 where the s5000 were totally sharp and easily readable.

The original 5000 was 160 ISO and the 9500 was 200 ISO.

Toad