Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old May 12, 2003, 3:07 PM   #1
djb

Default s602 autofocus

i have a relatively dumb question. my manual states the s602 does not use the autoocus sensor, just under the flash, in macro modes. sooooooo......... how come i can autofocus when taking macro photos? is there a hidden through the lens sensor or something??? am i missing something? just curious.

dennis
djb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 12, 2003, 5:51 PM   #2

The 602 uses 2 methods - Optical thru lens, using pixel edge contrast detection and Infra red from the sensor you can see. You just lose the IR system, which actually is switched off if you fit and select the external lens adaptor (since the lens blocks the sensor anyway).
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2003, 6:13 PM   #3
djb

thanx!!!! that's what i figured. i always have the adapter tube on with a uv filter. should i just set the adapter setting to yes and use only the ttl metering?

dennis
djb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2003, 12:26 PM   #4

Yes that's right. Although, I've sometimes forgotten and auto focus still worked. I suspect it might just about 'see' over the WCON lens I use - but not a big hood - and I haven't found one to fit yet!
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2003, 12:36 AM   #5

So... Does that mean that if I need sharper focus I should avoid lens adapter to make IR autofocus usable? I mean does TTL autofocus is doing its' job good or it's better to use IR autofocus? P.S. I made a couple of shots using lense adapter and didn't notice any difference.. So I'm just curious if this can affect image quality in some way.
ulik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2003, 2:04 AM   #6

Default autofocus w/adapter

not really. it's only when you have an adapter/hood/whatever, that will block the little red window above your lens/under the flash that you should turn the option on (that is, disable the IR focusing) as it will only confuse the camera. but if the adapter (like normal rings for a filter) does not obstruct the IR window, then it is not necessary to disable the IR focusing

basically all this is taken from a thread in dpreview (i'm sorry i no longer have the url) the IR focusing is used to give the camera a general focusing range where the ttl focusing will then take over, resulting in faster focusing times. some in that thread also note that they keep an obstructing adapter on at all time sand thus disable the IR focusing all the time, and do not see any noticeable lag in focusing, so that is also an option if you think it.

ah here's the link if you are interested... http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...essage=5088683
somynex is offline   Reply With Quote