Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Jul 16, 2006, 10:54 AM   #1

I was thinking about taking my wife's s5100 on a week long back country hike to supplement my film. I picked up an extra xD card and noticed it said Type M. Has anyone used this in a 5100 to capture still RAW images? I sent a email to Fuji but am still waiting for a responce. Thanks in advance for your time.
Sincerely,
Zachariah
PJammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 16, 2006, 2:46 PM   #2

Is this a question about the compatibility of the type M cards, or is this a question about shooting RAW images? Please clarify your question.

I just checked the Fuji website, and the 5100 is NOT on any of the incompatibility lists. So it would appear that the camera is compatible with the type M cards. Is there a question about the suitability for using them for shooting RAW?
jphess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2006, 3:57 PM   #3

Sorry I was wondering about type M xD. The only chart I could find did not have S5100 listed.
http://www.fujifilm.com/products/dig...x.html#compati However from browsing through this site I find that s5500 and s5100 are essentially the same. So is it safe to deduce that as the s5500 is on Fuji's compatibility chart that the type M will also work on the s5100? Thanks
Zach
Old Jul 16, 2006, 4:04 PM   #4

I did a search of the Fuji website. Sorry, I cannot recall the link. It had a list of the cameras that were not compatible with the type M cards. The S5000 was on the list, but the S5100 was not on the list. You should be safe using the card. Just give it a try.
jphess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2006, 10:27 AM   #5

I've taken RAW images on type M cards. (S5100)

No worries
ooops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2006, 1:36 PM   #6
Administrator

There is no compatibility problems with any xD card as far as I know and what we have seen in our review and testing here. The Type M is a little faster when read in a card reader and the Type H is a little faster still but they are all rediculously slow when compared to a two year old 32x speed SD card and there's no comparison at all versus a modern 80x-133x speed SD card. The faster xD cards do not speed up the camera operations, only the download to computer and mostly only when used with a good USB 2.0 card reader. The cameras that use xD all do internal buffering so faster cards don't improve their burst modes and show little improvement in the "write to card" operations.

I wish Fuji and Olympus would just dump xD and go with SD cards like everybody else - other thanSonywith their Memory Sticks of course...
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2006, 3:37 PM   #7

I would like to thank jphess, ooops, and Steve for your responses. I feel much better about opening the card and trying it out. I also got official word back from Fuji finally which states that it is compatible with m/h except in movie playback. Thanks again to everyone.

Zach