Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

View Poll Results: Should Fuji switch to SD and leave the xD behind or not?
Yeah, definetely! 24 58.54%
No way, mate! 12 29.27%
Not the SD, another memory type card! 1 2.44%
I have no idea what you're blabing about, young squire. 4 9.76%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jul 18, 2006, 12:52 PM   #11

zygh wrote:
Quote:
Yeah, I guess you are right, Mercury694, but still, why are manufacturers like Sony and Fuji smarter than everyone else? The SD is perfectly adapted for camera needs. Speaking about the xD, it is really falling behind compared to the SD in price, capacity and availability.

Sony at least provides with MemorySticks greater than 1GB but with the xD you're stuck to 1GB. Still, a camera's performance is much more importanta than the recording mediumit uses.

Why aren't you people votingin the poll?!?! C'mon, lemme see yourthoughts on the matter! :|

This has been discussed, argued, ranted about, and any other description you can think of on many forums over the last few years. xD prices have gone down to the point that they are very competitive with other memory types. There is a 2gb xD card that is supposed to hit the market any day (if it hasn't already). Fuji and Olympus together embraced xD (which I believe was invented by Toshiba), you can alsonow find xD cards from Kodak and Lexar and one other brand name that escapes me at the moment, there are even a Kodak camera or two that use xD. I don't see Fuji and/or Olympus abandoning xD anytime in the near future. IMHO, the memory card/format used in a camera is almost an insignificant matter when compared to the performance/features of a camera. The xD cards I use in my S7000 were very reasonably priced and I've not had any problems with them. Just my two cents worth.

Clyde
Clyde Atkinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2006, 9:27 PM   #12

I guess they are right by using xD ... Yesterday was the first time I used raw format and the time for writing to SD or CF was probably double the time needed for writing to xD ... :O
belgian pie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2006, 12:03 AM   #13

Since I just bought an F30.... no way! Actually I don't care if they switch so long as XD is available for the F30. I now use three types of cards.
meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2006, 6:48 PM   #14

I have a total of 2gb in my S9000 for $100. A 1 gb XD and a 1 gb CF. The two memory slots are great allowing me to switch cards. RAW on the XD and jpeg fine on the CF.
honus402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2006, 10:11 PM   #15

When I was looking for a digicam recently, I strictly avoided Fuji and Olympus because they are the only ones using xD cards. I also avoided looking at Sony because of the MemoryStick (can you say BetaMax?). The main reason I wanted a camera that uses SD cards is because I already had several cards for my MP3 player and a cheapo Aiptek camera--and I didn't want to deal with many different types of memory cards. I ended up getting a Kodak Easyshare and I've been very happy with it. Yes, I know, Kodak made 2 cameras that used xD cards--they didn't sell very well and were quickly replaced with equivalent models that use SD cards. I hate proprietary technology--standards are the way to go--and it looks like SD and CF are becoming the standards. I don't think 35mm film would have been so popular for so long if each manufacturer had used different perforations or a special cassette that only worked in their camera. As for the memory type being irrelevant, that's true as long as that type of card is available. If you use xD cards make sure you have plenty of extras on hand for the day when Fuji and/or Olympus abandon them like they did with SmartMedia cards. I have some really nice cameras in my collection for which the film type is no longer available. And several years ago I got rid of my top-of-the-line Beta Hi-Fi machine because I could no longer get blank tapes. I found a MemoryStick marked down to 10 bucks last year at Office Depot so I got it for my daughter to use in her Sony. Well, it wouldn't work because her camera can't use MemoryStick Pro or MemoryStick Duo or MagicGate or some such nonsense. Never had that problem with SD cards.
junebug1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2006, 8:55 AM   #16

Wasever makes you think Fuji and Olympus will abandon the xD card? I don't think there's any more chance of that happening than for SD or CF cards being abandoned. If you don't like the xD technology there's a simple solution. Buy a camera that uses something else. It seems pointless to me to buy a camera and then complain about the technology it uses. If you don't like the camera or the technology, don't buy it.
jphess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2006, 9:15 AM   #17

Yeah, well, you're missing the point, jphess.

And the point is that proprietary memory cards only make photographic life more complicated for the end user. Especially now when there's so many gizmos using SD.
zygh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2006, 9:52 AM   #18

No, I'm not missing the point. You are. Fuji decided to create a new style memory card. Olympus joined in with them. If you don't like the technology then buy something else. There will always be changes in technology. Someday something will come along that will replace every type of card we are using today. I don't know what it will be, but change is inevitable. Or, maybe you think by conducting a survey you can persuade Fuji to change? I wouldn't hold my breath if I were you.
jphess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2006, 10:21 AM   #19

Here's how it is, dude. You don't replace something with something else that is not as good as the thing you are replacing it with. I can't see anything better in the xD that I don't already see in the SD. Plus, the SD has a lot more going for it. May I remind you that there is NO 2GB xD on the market today?!?

And, you may have not read my previous post: "I bought the F10 in spite it uses xD".I can't see manypeople buying Fuji or Olympus because it uses xD but I can see a whole lot not buying them because they use xD. And that's a shame because their F10-F11-F20-F30 (and probably soon to be S6500)does the customers the justice they should have been done a long time ago. You getting my drift there?

Third. I am not looking to change anyone's mind with this poll. I was just trying to get people to express their opinion on ansubject that I think has many issues itself.

Anyway, man, don't get this personal or anything but tell me one thing xD has over the competition, I mean, the SD. Beside, would you like every camera manufacturer out there using its own type of memory card? Not me, I can tell you that. To be honest, what I have a problem with here is that manufacturers like Sony, Fuji and Olympus are restricting people's choices with this thing. Fuji make great compact cameras and that's the onlyreason I am a customer but the thing with the whole xD is foul andcustomers should not let it slip away that easily. We have a right to beheared and our opinion seriously takeninto consideration.

Peace!
zygh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2006, 6:37 PM   #20

zygh wrote:
Quote:
Here's how it is, dude. You don't replace something with something else that is not as good as the thing you are replacing it with. I can't see anything better in the xD that I don't already see in the SD. Plus, the SD has a lot more going for it. May I remind you that there is NO 2GB xD on the market today?!?

And, you may have not read my previous post: "I bought the F10 in spite it uses xD".I can't see manypeople buying Fuji or Olympus because it uses xD but I can see a whole lot not buying them because they use xD. And that's a shame because their F10-F11-F20-F30 (and probably soon to be S6500)does the customers the justice they should have been done a long time ago. You getting my drift there?

Third. I am not looking to change anyone's mind with this poll. I was just trying to get people to express their opinion on ansubject that I think has many issues itself.

Anyway, man, don't get this personal or anything but tell me one thing xD has over the competition, I mean, the SD. Beside, would you like every camera manufacturer out there using its own type of memory card? Not me, I can tell you that. To be honest, what I have a problem with here is that manufacturers like Sony, Fuji and Olympus are restricting people's choices with this thing. Fuji make great compact cameras and that's the onlyreason I am a customer but the thing with the whole xD is foul andcustomers should not let it slip away that easily. We have a right to beheared and our opinion seriously takeninto consideration.

Peace!

Well unfortrunately (for you) this type of thing has been going on for a lot of years with a lot of different products, not just cameras and is likely to continue for many more years. With my music synthesizers I couldn't use the Yamaha memory cards in my Roland or Korg synths, each manufacturer had proprietary memory cards and different file formats. Did I moan and groan about spending $3,000 on a synth and it did not use a memory card compatible with my other synths? No, I bought therelatively inexpensive memory card I needed and moved on without ever threatening to never purchase from that manufacturer again (though I do stop purchasing from manufacturers that don't repair/stand by their products). In the greater scheme of things, memory cards are a very minor investment that you need make. If the features/results from a particular camera or other device are exactly right for you but it uses a type of memory card that you don't already own, are you willing to forgo that purchase and buy something that does not meet your needs as well just to have a compatible memory card? Perhaps you are, I'm not, I'll purchase what works best for me and get whatever memory card/type that is needed. I would not hold my breath waiting for Fuji and Olympus to drop xD.

Clyde
Clyde Atkinson is offline   Reply With Quote