Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

View Poll Results: Should Fuji switch to SD and leave the xD behind or not?
Yeah, definetely! 24 58.54%
No way, mate! 12 29.27%
Not the SD, another memory type card! 1 2.44%
I have no idea what you're blabing about, young squire. 4 9.76%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jul 22, 2006, 5:49 AM   #21

Clyde, it's about expressing your opinion as a customer and not shutting up and swallowing it. If that is "moaning and groaning" to you then I guess you have a very low opinion of your power as a customer and think that customers are somewhat similar to sheep taking it anyway "the shepherd" throws it at them.
I very well realize that this thread isn't going to change much but at least it is going to give people a chance to express their opinion as a customer. If you don't want to be a part of that, by all means, don't vote. It's one's right to speak as it is to shut up. The choice is yours.
The fact that memory cards are not such a big investment compared to a camera and/or lenses does not change anything.
I am not holding my breath for anything. Hope you're still enjoying your synthesizers. Cheers!
zygh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2006, 9:13 AM   #22

I was curious as to why the xD card was developed in the first place. What purpose does it serve? What is it's reason for being? What does it do that other flash memory cards don't? Why did Fuji and Olympus go to all the trouble and expense to create a new type of flash memory card when there were already standards such as the CF and SD card? Apparently, the answer is that they thought SD cards were too expensive because they have a built-in controller chip. So they designed a "dumb" card that depends on a controller chip in the camera, thus supposedly making the card cheaper. After 4 years, it appears that the SD card is the one that's cheaper and more readily available.
----------

Tuesday, 30 July 2002 07:20 GMT

TOKYO 16:00: Fujifilm has today announced the new xD Picture Card flash storage media. The xD Picture Card was developed in conjunction with Olympus as the replacement for the aging SmartMedia format. The card will be produced by Toshiba. As mentioned in the Olympus news article below both companies will continue to support the SmartMedia format and will continue to produce SmartMedia cards into the future. The xD format is designed to address the need for smaller sized cameras and higher capacity storage. As I said below I am not that keen to see yet another flash storage format. Note: Fujifilm's press release includes an extensive Q&A section.

Phil: I for one am not keen to see yet another flash storage format thrust upon an unsuspecting market, there are already several more than acceptable formats out there. When I popped this question to Fujifilm their response was that SD/MMC is too expensive as it contains a controller chip, the new xD cards are 'dumb' like SmartMedia, the controller chip must be inside the camera. Fujifilm and Olympus do have a large combined market share to get away with this but that doesn't mean it's going to be welcomed with open arms.
---------

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0207/02...fujifilmxd.asp

junebug1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2006, 10:36 AM   #23

Well, it seems almost every reason they stated in that press release has been missed: SD cards are still cheaper and they come in larger memory capacities than the xD. I'm not exactly sure about the speed but I think the SD outclasses the xD in that department as well. I honestly think the main reason they stuck with the xD is that companies have a hard-time admitting to the general public they've made a bad decision and because of that change to SD or whatever. That, I suppose, would seriously affect their credibility.

So, can anyone enlighten me as to what exactly a controller chip is and what purpose it serves?
Old Jul 22, 2006, 2:31 PM   #24

AFAIK, the controller chip on a flash memory card works like an operating system. It controls how the data is written to the chip (and where), keeps track of the file names, directories, file allocation tables, and so forth. With an SM or xD card, the device has to control all that by itself. This was a problem with SM cards, for example, when a camera couldn't handle a 128MB card because it was designed when only 64MB cards were available. In order to "see" the larger card, a firmware update to the camera was required. And if the camera maker didn't offer a firmware update, you were SOL. For more info, check out Wikipedia, there's a lot of good stuff on there about all different types of memory cards, even ones I had never heard of like JEIDA and Miniature Card:

http://www.pcmcia.org/miniaturecard.htm

junebug1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2006, 11:36 PM   #25

At the moment they start selling mini SD cards that can be used with SD adaptor in normal SD slots ... but are they faster when using RAW
belgian pie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2006, 8:42 PM   #26

junebug1701, thanks for you input. it's weird and funny how many unsuccessful memory cards are there that didn't make it to the big time :lol: I guess that xD is just an unsuccessful mcard that was shoved down the customer's shopping basket :-)

belgian pie, not quite sure what you're driving and how your post fits in our little chat here. care to explain?
Old Jul 29, 2006, 8:23 AM   #27

zygh wrote:
Quote:
Clyde, it's about expressing your opinion as a customer and not shutting up and swallowing it. If that is "moaning and groaning" to you then I guess you have a very low opinion of your power as a customer and think that customers are somewhat similar to sheep taking it anyway "the shepherd" throws it at them.
I very well realize that this thread isn't going to change much but at least it is going to give people a chance to express their opinion as a customer. If you don't want to be a part of that, by all means, don't vote. It's one's right to speak as it is to shut up. The choice is yours.
The fact that memory cards are not such a big investment compared to a camera and/or lenses does not change anything.
I am not holding my breath for anything. Hope you're still enjoying your synthesizers. Cheers!

The most effective way to express your opinion is by not buying a product if you don't like the features, accessories, etc., I have a very high opinion of my power as a consumer (as well as other peoples) and use that power by deciding which product works the best for my needs and purchasing it. Certainly complaints and suggestions can be used by a manufacturer to improve future products, but constant hammering on a proprietary memory format is not likely to change the use of it anytime soon. If you don't like xD, I would suggest that you find cameras other than Fuji/Olympus that meet your needs and use other memory formats. If Fuji or Olympus meet your needs better, then you need to bite the bullet and get used to using xD, it is your decision and your opportunity to express your consumer power with your wallet.

Clyde
Clyde Atkinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2006, 9:41 AM   #28

That's brilliant, Clyde!

Cheers!
Old Aug 6, 2006, 11:43 AM   #29

I had made the decision to buy the F30 until I realised that it used the xd card. It's too bad, because I liked pretty much everything I'd read about the f30, up until the memory card. I had narrowed down my choices to the Sony N1 or the Fuji F30 (I can pick'em, huh)

So yes, I guess I will be voting with my wallet on this one. Back to the drawing board. :roll:
Qutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2006, 3:04 AM   #30

Qutie wrote:
Quote:
I had made the decision to buy the F30 until I realised that it used the xd card. It's too bad, because I liked pretty much everything I'd read about the f30, up until the memory card. I had narrowed down my choices to the Sony N1 or the Fuji F30 (I can pick'em, huh)

So yes, I guess I will be voting with my wallet on this one. Back to the drawing board. :roll:
With your choice it's xD vs Memory Stick. I would go with xD :-)and imho F30 is a better camera if you shoot a lot in low light, but YMMV.
algold is offline   Reply With Quote