Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

View Poll Results: Should Fuji switch to SD and leave the xD behind or not?
Yeah, definetely! 24 58.54%
No way, mate! 12 29.27%
Not the SD, another memory type card! 1 2.44%
I have no idea what you're blabing about, young squire. 4 9.76%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Old Aug 8, 2006, 12:15 AM   #31

algold wrote:
Quote:
With your choice it's xD vs Memory Stick. I would go with xD :-)and imho F30 is a better camera if you shoot a lot in low light, but YMMV.
Yes, the more I think about it, the more I see myself withthat darn xd using F30. I like the F30, it will do what I need it to do, which is allow us save our memories from our upcoming vacation. I wanted a camera that either of us will be able to use easily (he doesn't havealot ofcamera experience) in a variety of settings;the F30 fits the bill. It's small enough to be comfortably carried and maybe even more importantly it will also allow me to take photo's of my nephew who seems to think that the camera was inventedsoley so his picture could be taken :-D

Thank you for your comment

Of course what I really wanted was the Pani FZ30, but reading the reviews vs. the comments from owners is like reading about altered realities- neither group seems to see what the other does :?While I don't feel I'm ready for a d-slr yet, the FZ30 sounded perfect. But until I find a local place that has one I can hold and mess around with, it's off the list. And, even while I drooled for the FZ30, I kept turning back to the F30... thinking... maybe 2 :G

Qutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2006, 8:03 PM   #32

Well for what it is worth, I have just purchased a Fuji F11 ( an upgraded F10 ) here in the UK. I also ordered a 1GB Olympus H type XD Card at the same time, both arrived quickly.

I put the 2 together, take a few test shots, put the XD card in to my computers card reader, fine..up pops the box, and I see the pictures.

I try to rotate a picture and up pops a warning box telling me that Windows cannot rotate the picture, very strange, never had that problem before with my trusty Fuji E550 and smaller 512 k XD Card.

I then return my card to the F11, and it comes up card not " initialised ", so I format it in camera, and now it will not function via any of 3 card readers that I have.

Yes it will work OK via the Fuji Software, but that involves a myriad of leads, plugs etc.

So to me it would appear that there is a compatability issue with these new cards and existing card readers.

Never ever had any problems with SD Cards like this.:?
Inactive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2006, 10:21 PM   #33

I had a problem like that with my canon a95, never did manage to get it to work again That was with CF cards, but still... sometimes I think it's just better to return it now then deal with the headache and agro later. And yes, I was SO aggravated that I've gotten to the point that I'll never buy another Canon, regardless of how good someone says they are... my canon stopped working about 6 months after I got it, my trusty old sony dsc-p72.... still going strong:roll: hehe... of course I only have 1 128mg card for it... because I bought the canon, bleh.
Qutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2006, 12:48 AM   #34
Administrator

Inactive wrote:
Quote:
Well for what it is worth, I have just purchased a Fuji F11 ( an upgraded F10 ) here in the UK. I also ordered a 1GB Olympus H type XD Card at the same time, both arrived quickly.

I put the 2 together, take a few test shots, put the XD card in to my computers card reader, fine..up pops the box, and I see the pictures.

I try to rotate a picture and up pops a warning box telling me that Windows cannot rotate the picture, very strange, never had that problem before with my trusty Fuji E550 and smaller 512 k XD Card.

I then return my card to the F11, and it comes up card not " initialised ", so I format it in camera, and now it will not function via any of 3 card readers that I have.

Yes it will work OK via the Fuji Software, but that involves a myriad of leads, plugs etc.

So to me it would appear that there is a compatability issue with these new cards and existing card readers.

Never ever had any problems with SD Cards like this.:?

When you tried to rotate the image undoubtedly Windows attempted to write to the JPEG image and possiblycorrupted the FAT table (directory structure)on the card. I never do anything but "read" and copy from card to computer to avoid these types of problems. Always format the card in the camera, never in the card reader and don't "move" files as Windows will have to delete them on the card after the move.

steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2006, 8:21 AM   #35

Quote from Steve " When you tried to rotate the image undoubtedly Windows attempted to write to the JPEG image and possiblycorrupted the FAT table (directory structure)on the card. I never do anything but "read" and copy from card to computer to avoid these types of problems. Always format the card in the camera, never in the card reader and don't "move" files as Windows will have to delete them on the card after the move. ...

Many thanks for the advice Steve, it just seems strange that I have done all of the above with a smaller xD card and SD Cards without ever having a single problem.

BTW..How is Clearwater? ( drools )...I havn't been out there for a few years now, we used to stay at the Sand Dollar Motel...on the waterside.

Inactive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2006, 12:09 PM   #36

I never try to do anything with images on a card other than move them to my computer. However, unlike Steve, I usually move my images. I haven't had any problems so far. But, you know what that means. If the images are important, like from a wedding I am going to do shortly, those images will be copied and not moved.
jphess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2006, 12:10 PM   #37

Sorry, posted twice, Internet seems to be slow here right now.
Old Aug 16, 2006, 10:56 PM   #38

Steve, are you saying that copy/paste is safer than cut/paste?

My F10 upload speed is good through the fuji software so I never saw any need to change but my km 7d uploads dreadfully slow with it so I've been using cut/paste to move the files from the camera. It's been working fine but if there's a better way, I'm all over it.

On topic, I don't really see the big deal about XD's prices. A 1gb card will cost you about six and a half cents per shot the first time used, and be cut by half every use after that. After the $400 spent on the camera, is $45 for the media really a big deal? It's really small (especially when compared to CF) and extremely tough. I've seen tests where it's been submerged in salt water, smacked with a hammer, run through the dishwasher, pierced by a nail...and still works. Of course, since it's not SD I can't use it in my MP3 player. But then since it's not SD, niether can my kids.

Capacities may be a bigger deal. My 512 card though holds over 350 shots, I don't feel a need for higher capacity at the moment. I suppose there may be some ppl who feel that 700 shots per card just doesn't hack it, I'm just not one of them.
Mercury694 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2006, 12:27 PM   #39

All this nonesense about xd cards and high prices , considering how many hundreds of pounds and dollars ect ect are spent on new cameras by camera nuts sometimes every six months when a newer must have model comes out , i think the card costs are very insignificant i bought a xd card 512 for my f 11 for just £18 , ie for example less than the cameras case i bought, silly to worry about a few cards you might buy, (only my opinion though of course.):|
rodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2006, 4:16 PM   #40

I agree with many of the comments that have been made. Some people will complain about the type of card that is required by their new camera. If you have several of another type it is a little bit inconvenient to have to start accumulating new ones again. But I just don't think it really matters all the much.

Other camera companies are switching cards as well. Nikon, for instance, used CF cards in their highly acclaimed D70. Now, suppose you are a Nikon user and have one of those cameras, but then you decide to upgrade to the D70s. You have the same problem, because that camera as well as the upcoming D80 both use SD cards.

"Aha!," you say, "even Nikon is switching over to the "common" card." Sometimes I wonder if maybe one reason they stay away from the xD card is because they don't want to draw any more attention to Fuji. Back when I was considering purchasing the S9000, several of the very unflattering reviews of the camera had Nikon ads on every page of their review of the Fuji. Fuji might have a name recognition/acceptance problem, but I seriously doubt that the type of card used has very much to do with it. I think the "major" manufacturers are doing what they can do to stifle Fuji's marketing. And I think some of you spend too much time worrying about whether or not Fuji will survive. They will. But you have to let their management team decide what direction to take. If you don't like that direction, there are plenty of other choices.