Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

View Poll Results: Should Fuji switch to SD and leave the xD behind or not?
Yeah, definetely! 24 58.54%
No way, mate! 12 29.27%
Not the SD, another memory type card! 1 2.44%
I have no idea what you're blabing about, young squire. 4 9.76%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Aug 23, 2006, 5:45 PM   #41
Senior Member
 
zygh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 531
Default

jphess wrote:
Quote:
Other camera companies are switching cards as well. Nikon, for instance, used CF cards in their highly acclaimed D70. Now, suppose you are a Nikon user and have one of those cameras, but then you decide to upgrade to the D70s. You have the same problem, because that camera as well as the upcoming D80 both use SD cards.
Quote:
The thing is that beside the D80, only the D50 uses SD. And yeah, it is a welcoming switch from Nikon, at least as far as I'm concerned. CF is fast becoming obsolete, size and connection, if not anything else.
Quote:
"Aha!," you say, "even Nikon is switching over to the "common" card." Sometimes I wonder if maybe one reason they stay away from the xD card is because they don't want to draw any more attention to Fuji.
Quote:
Why would anyone use xD?!? They only just released the 2GB'er in a time when SD is struggling to achieve 32GB!!! Do you get the irony?
Quote:
Back when I was considering purchasing the S9000, several of the very unflattering reviews of the camera had Nikon ads on every page of their review of the Fuji. Fuji might have a name recognition/acceptance problem, but I seriously doubt that the type of card used has very much to do with it. I think the "major" manufacturers are doing what they can do to stifle Fuji's marketing. And I think some of you spend too much time worrying about whether or not Fuji will survive.
Quote:
Oh Fuji are good. At least their sensors are. I didn't know Nikon had a "personal" thing against Fuji. That is so disappointing, if it's true. Nikon and Fuji are my two favourite digital camera brands and I think that if Nikon used Fuji's sensors in its dSLR line then it would be no stopping them. Anyway, that is fantasy land but still, you understand what I want to say.
Quote:
They will. But you have to let their management team decide what direction to take. If you don't like that direction, there are plenty of other choices.
Quote:
There are always choices, no contest there. It is a sad thing though to see Fuji lose customers because of such a little thing like memory card format when they have so much to offer. That, I think, is my whole point. Ofcourse it doesn't matter much which format one uses but it does to some extent and that is what makes it a little bit frustrating. What they lose in sales is what they lose in their ability to invest in their excellent research and there is where we all lose.
zygh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2006, 6:26 PM   #42
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 1,063
Default

Well, you can drag this thread out as long as you want, but I think the whole discussion is pointless. It's nice to know there are people like you who feel that you know what is best for a corporation as large as Fuji. It's probably a shame that you aren't on the Board of Directors so that you can set them straight. Have fun with your poll. I haven't responded and I haven't looked at the results because I don't care. And I'm not following this thread anymore.
jphess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2006, 6:12 AM   #43
Senior Member
 
zygh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 531
Default

jphess wrote:
Quote:
Well, you can drag this thread out as long as you want, but I think the whole discussion is pointless.
Quote:
It isn't pointless as long as people pass by and express their opinions and as long, because of the afore mentioned fact, there is a chance that someone somewhere will take notice.
Quote:
It's nice to know there are people like you who feel that you know what is best for a corporation as large as Fuji. It's probably a shame that you aren't on the Board of Directors so that you can set them straight.
Quote:
And from my part, it is a sad thing to see that there areconsumers out there that think that corporations have all the answers and thatmere worthless mortals like us should not be caught bothering any of them.The day that that will be true for all of us is the day we will all be reduced to no more than sheep with credit cards.
Quote:
Have fun with your poll. I haven't responded and I haven't looked at the results because I don't care. And I'm not following this thread anymore.
Quote:
Thank you for passing by. I think your answer to the poll is more than obvious for everyone who has followed this thread, even if you didn't bother voting. Second, let me fill you in on a little secret: youtook your timemaking your point of view heard on this thread thus you do care.God bless us all! :-)
zygh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2006, 10:17 AM   #44
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 1,063
Default

I guess I just cannot resist. You hope someone, somewhere, notices this thread. Notice what? That you don't like xD? There is a perfect solution. Buy a different brand of camera.

I purchased a 1 GB xD type "M" card last week. Yes, it was a few dollars more. But it works. It will work for quite some time. Who knows? I might get another one.
jphess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2006, 5:33 PM   #45
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 25
Default

I think the whole "buy a different camera then" mentality doesnt help the consumer at all.

We are the consumer, we are the ones that are paying these companies to produce a product that we want, not the other way around.

How I look at the XD cards is that I look at the price of the camera+memory as a whole. Even if the xd cards are more expensive if the camera+memory price isnt bad, I can live with that.

In my opinion, I think Fuji and Olympus should do away with the XD. It costs more and isnt a universal medium like other cards.
MrX8503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2006, 5:47 PM   #46
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 1,063
Default

This whole discussion seems to me to be pointless. Yes, we are the consumers. But is there anyone here who knows Fuji's long-term plan? Maybe (just maybe) the xD card is a key element in these new very small cameras Fuji is introducing. Maybe there is something in the planning that all of us knowledgeable, expert consumers are not aware of. And would you expect Fuji to abandon xD and leave everyone who has invested in their cameras and cards holding the bag? Really! If you don't like the card, don't buy the camera. If Fuji did switch, would you rush out and spend hundreds of dollars so that you could save a few dollars on a card? If you would, maybe that is Fuji's plan. Introduce all new cameras next year using SD cards and clean up on new camera sales to all their existing customers.
jphess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2006, 3:57 AM   #47
Senior Member
 
zygh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 531
Default

jphess wrote:
Quote:
This whole discussion seems to me to be pointless.
Quote:
You've been saying that for the last 100 posts. :lol:Still, here you are, giving blood, keeping faith :-)
Quote:
Yes, we are the consumers. But is there anyone here who knows Fuji's long-term plan? Maybe (just maybe) the xD card is a key element in these new very small cameras Fuji is introducing. Maybe there is something in the planning that all of us knowledgeable, expert consumers are not aware of.
Quote:
And let Big Brother decide for me? NEVER! Power back to the people!
Quote:
And would you expect Fuji to abandon xD and leave everyone who has invested in their cameras and cards holding the bag?
Quote:
Yes.
Quote:
Really! If you don't like the card, don't buy the camera.
Quote:
That is the wrong way to look at things, man. The wrong way.
Quote:
If Fuji did switch, would you rush out and spend hundreds of dollars so that you could save a few dollars on a card?
Quote:
No, I already have a Fuji. But I wouldn't feel "betrayed" if they switched to SD because in a few years I'll upgrade (to another Fuji) anyway. And I'm sure that many people will decide for a Fuji holdingas argument the fact that it uses SD. Just read what people had to say on this thread. And check out the poll: 60% (up to now) for switching from xD.
Quote:
If you would, maybe that is Fuji's plan. Introduce all new cameras next year using SD cards and clean up on new camera sales to all their existing customers.
Quote:
Right now, my eyes are watering and my heart hopes that Big Brother is listening in on your wise words.
zygh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2006, 8:21 AM   #48
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 137
Default

MrX8503 wrote:
Quote:
I think the whole "buy a different camera then" mentality doesnt help the consumer at all.

We are the consumer, we are the ones that are paying these companies to produce a product that we want, not the other way around.

How I look at the XD cards is that I look at the price of the camera+memory as a whole. Even if the xd cards are more expensive if the camera+memory price isnt bad, I can live with that.

In my opinion, I think Fuji and Olympus should do away with the XD. It costs more and isnt a universal medium like other cards.

You can either buy what is available that best suits your wants/needs or you can wait until the camera you would "like" is made, the choice is up to the individual. Certainly I would think that "suggestions" about changes you would like to see would be better noticed by either an email, letter, or phone call to the company involved. As for xD pricing, Fry's Outpost just recently had 1gb xD cards for $32.95 USD, not a large cash outlay to go to xD. In fact, this weekend they were running them at $29.99 USD with free ground shipping.
Clyde
Clyde Atkinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2006, 12:28 PM   #49
Senior Member
 
Morag2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 820
Default

I am not a Fuji Owner, but I am considering the Fuji F30 as my pocket camera. (My Kodak P850 is just too big). For me, the xD card is a bit turn off. It means I will have to spend $50 I wouldn't otherwise have spent to get a 512MB card. (buying off the internet isn't an option for me, the border taxes to ship to Canada make it not worth the time).
Morag2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2006, 12:23 AM   #50
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 3
Default

I have Compact Flash for a Canon camera and SD for a plam PDA. When they get full the get backed-up on a PC, CD, etc. . . then gets erased and used again. Rinse and repeat. Now i've been interested in buying a new Digital Camera and Fujifilm is on the top of my list. I have never even thought of the Memory card format becasue it will be used the same as my other memorycards. Exactly how many xD cards are you gonna buy on your Fuji camera? It is not like Film that when gets processed cant use anymore. The CF stays in the canon, the SD stays in the palm, and when i get "one" xD card, it will stay in the Fuji, it will not be used on any other equipment, so it really does not matter to me if it's not a popular format or "standard" as i wont need 10 of them.
Neero is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:05 PM.