Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

View Poll Results: Should Fuji switch to SD and leave the xD behind or not?
Yeah, definetely! 24 58.54%
No way, mate! 12 29.27%
Not the SD, another memory type card! 1 2.44%
I have no idea what you're blabing about, young squire. 4 9.76%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Old Sep 15, 2006, 10:03 AM   #51

I do alot of underwater research, XD is the only card to choose, i double dare all of you to put any other type of card in coke or salt water and make it work.. i have used sony and nikon compacts, i am currently using a D70s (4th due to flooding) and an F10 (6th due to flooding) as my research cameras. the flooding problem cant be helped, the keeping of the pics can with an XD card. my opinion XD or nothing. (cf has its benifits)

Jeebuz
jeebuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2006, 9:49 PM   #52

zygh wrote:
Quote:
jphess wrote:
Quote:
Other camera companies are switching cards as well. Nikon, for instance, used CF cards in their highly acclaimed D70. Now, suppose you are a Nikon user and have one of those cameras, but then you decide to upgrade to the D70s. You have the same problem, because that camera as well as the upcoming D80 both use SD cards.
Quote:
The thing is that beside the D80, only the D50 uses SD. And yeah, it is a welcoming switch from Nikon, at least as far as I'm concerned. CF is fast becoming obsolete, size and connection, if not anything else.
Quote:
"Aha!," you say, "even Nikon is switching over to the "common" card." Sometimes I wonder if maybe one reason they stay away from the xD card is because they don't want to draw any more attention to Fuji.
Quote:
Why would anyone use xD?!? They only just released the 2GB'er in a time when SD is struggling to achieve 32GB!!! Do you get the irony?
Quote:
Back when I was considering purchasing the S9000, several of the very unflattering reviews of the camera had Nikon ads on every page of their review of the Fuji. Fuji might have a name recognition/acceptance problem, but I seriously doubt that the type of card used has very much to do with it. I think the "major" manufacturers are doing what they can do to stifle Fuji's marketing. And I think some of you spend too much time worrying about whether or not Fuji will survive.
Quote:
Oh Fuji are good. At least their sensors are. I didn't know Nikon had a "personal" thing against Fuji. That is so disappointing, if it's true. Nikon and Fuji are my two favourite digital camera brands and I think that if Nikon used Fuji's sensors in its dSLR line then it would be no stopping them. Anyway, that is fantasy land but still, you understand what I want to say.
Quote:
They will. But you have to let their management team decide what direction to take. If you don't like that direction, there are plenty of other choices.
Quote:
There are always choices, no contest there. It is a sad thing though to see Fuji lose customers because of such a little thing like memory card format when they have so much to offer. That, I think, is my whole point. Ofcourse it doesn't matter much which format one uses but it does to some extent and that is what makes it a little bit frustrating. What they lose in sales is what they lose in their ability to invest in their excellent research and there is where we all lose.

zygh,

As far as Nikon having a "personal thing" against Fuji, are you aware that all of the Fuji dslr cameras to date have had Nikon bodies (and the next Fuji dslr supposedly to be introduced at Photokina is said to be using a Nikon D200 body) and use Nikon mount lenses? Couldn't be that much of a thing if Nikon is willing to sell bodies to Fuji. I find it interesting that in the same sentence you manage to say that "it doesn't matter which format one uses" and "but it does to some extent and that is what makes it a little bit frustrating". So which is it, it does matter or it doesn't? If you are worried about where Fuji's funding for research comes from and that a few missed purchases by people "put off" by xD will cripple their research, then you really have no idea of what Fuji is all about. The bulk of their sensor research is directed at medical imaging and not at consumer cameras, Fuji is far more than a consumer digital camera company. If you are going to blather on post after post, at least educate yourself by doing a little research so you can blather intelligently.

Clyde
Clyde Atkinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2006, 10:15 PM   #53

Clyde, welcome back to the old thread.

Did you have your goggles on at the time when you posted your insightful comment?

Let me make myself more clear for you. The same-sentence contradiction you mentioned was nothing more than myself implying that it does not matter which format of memory cards a camera uses asall mem. cards come to supply a basic need and when I referred to the fact that to some extent it does matter I was again implying that (some) consumers may find it too much troubleto switch cards when potentially buying a new camera. Is that clearer for you?

Considering the formerclarification, I will adress the second half of your comment. In this day and age, no giant can sustain an unproductive segment of its business.Time is of the essence and allthoughFuji is in nodesparate corner when it comes to digicam sales, I think that staying competitive (at every possible level) in this particular segment requires a fair deal of research. Research in this department will not be afact of reality if this segment of their business isshowingminor or noprofit. Reasearch funds are directly proportional to profit figures. As I stated before, this is not happeningfor Fuji, yet, but the factis that people are adressing other manufacturer digicam models because of the mem. cardissue. My opinion is that sooner or later the xD will be a thing of the past. SD is just too dynamic for the xD to keep up.Taking that into consideration,one can onlypresume thata break from xD would beadefinite advantagefor Fuji. I'm not talking months here, but years. Time will tell butit is wiseto look atlessons that have already been learned over the years. To clarifyfor you what I meant by that, pleaseremember an old saying that goes something like this:don't swim against the current, as you willdrown.

Clyde, if you feel the need for further clarification, just ring the bell.

:arrow:
zygh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2006, 12:13 PM   #54

zygh wrote:
Quote:
Clyde, welcome back to the old thread.

Did you have your goggles on at the time when you posted your insightful comment?

Let me make myself more clear for you. The same-sentence contradiction you mentioned was nothing more than myself implying that it does not matter which format of memory cards a camera uses asall mem. cards come to supply a basic need and when I referred to the fact that to some extent it does matter I was again implying that (some) consumers may find it too much troubleto switch cards when potentially buying a new camera. Is that clearer for you?

Considering the formerclarification, I will adress the second half of your comment. In this day and age, no giant can sustain an unproductive segment of its business.Time is of the essence and allthoughFuji is in nodesparate corner when it comes to digicam sales, I think that staying competitive (at every possible level) in this particular segment requires a fair deal of research. Research in this department will not be afact of reality if this segment of their business isshowingminor or noprofit. Reasearch funds are directly proportional to profit figures. As I stated before, this is not happeningfor Fuji, yet, but the factis that people are adressing other manufacturer digicam models because of the mem. cardissue. My opinion is that sooner or later the xD will be a thing of the past. SD is just too dynamic for the xD to keep up.Taking that into consideration,one can onlypresume thata break from xD would beadefinite advantagefor Fuji. I'm not talking months here, but years. Time will tell butit is wiseto look atlessons that have already been learned over the years. To clarifyfor you what I meant by that, pleaseremember an old saying that goes something like this:don't swim against the current, as you willdrown.

Clyde, if you feel the need for further clarification, just ring the bell.

:arrow:

zygh,

I don't really need any further clarification, but obviously you did not understand my statements. Fuji does a great deal of sensor/imaging research for it's very profitable medical imaging division, the research for consumer digital camera sensors is an offshoot of this research and funding for it is not critical as the medical imaging division is quite profitable and will continue it's research. Fuji already has some fairly new patents for a sensor that behaves much more like film, should be an improvement over the current super ccd, and has the potential to be used in consumer digital cameras. Your constant argument that missed sales due to Fuji using xD cards just does not match the reality of what is actually happening. If any area of Fuji consumer cameras is really lacking, it is the sales/marketing/distribution arms that are way behind. You don't like xD cards, that's fine and your right, others don't share your feelings and will continue to use Fuji cameras regardless of what memory card they choose to use (xD or otherwise) because they are satisfied with the results they get from their Fuji cams. It's really pretty simple, choose the cam that works best for your needs, if you really can't deal with what memory card it uses then buy something else, even if it does not meet your needs as well. You can run this thread to 200 pages long and I don't think it will sway Fuji's decision on what they are going to do in the future as far as what memory cards they will use in the future.

Clyde
Clyde Atkinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2006, 9:17 AM   #55

Well for what it's worth, a camera that uses xd puts me off also. A quick look on ebay shows that a 1GB XD is at least £9 (about $15) more than a 1GB SD card. Like others, I just don't see the point in XD.

Who cares about what Fuji MIGHT have up their sleeve for the XD, its future is no brighter than the SD and the SD is more compatible. To be honest, unless a company can bring out something that is genuinely better, things like this should be standardized. It's just all about squeezing more money out of the consumer.

No one here that has defended the use of XD, has actually been convincing in any way, andit sounds like they have some sort of blind loyalty to Fuji and Olympus.

Frankly, the XD issue is one of the reasons I'm put off from buying an F30.

Now I am battling over whether to buy a FX01 or an R5...and I can't decide :?
tomah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2006, 4:51 AM   #56

i still dont get it why the memory card format is more important then sensor, ergonomics, software, lense, performance in deciding.
Neero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2006, 1:30 AM   #57

I have owned my s5200 for about 6 months now, I like the xd. I can plug it directly into the card reader that is built into my laptop, saving battery life. My canon takes CF. Honestly, I cant tell a difference. And the CF will NOT fit in my card reader, bad point! I looked at fuji's website today and there is now a 2gig xd card!

As far as SD, MMC, CF, and XD goes..if you price out a premium brand SD card against an xd(which all are premium brand) the price isnt really that much different.

I really didn't care too much about the memory type when I was looking for my cam, I was concerned mainly about color reproduction.

Memory cards dont generally need to be replaced as often as film canisters did!..lol

Oh and BTW...I didnt vote because none of the choices fit my feelings!! How about "Its not that big of a deal. I like the pictures the cam takes!"

manxclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2006, 10:04 AM   #58

The answers obvious: Some are indifferent, while others prefer SD so much they do not purchase a Fujifilm camera. I myself for one.

I honestly do not know the advantages of XD over SD. Technologically. Or advantages it gives to Fujifilm. Can someone enlighten me?

Try going on a trip and transfer the data from the Fuji camera to a PMP or harddrive storage. Pretty easy with most SD card machines. I can't do it for an XD-based Fuji without access to a computer.

This is why I will not bring Fuji on a trip.
jc_stevesforum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2006, 12:02 PM   #59
Administrator

Well I think you guys have beat this topic to death and then some so it's now closed. Let's move on to more interesting things to debate :?
steve is offline   Reply With Quote