Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

View Poll Results: Should Fuji switch to SD and leave the xD behind or not?
Yeah, definetely! 24 58.54%
No way, mate! 12 29.27%
Not the SD, another memory type card! 1 2.44%
I have no idea what you're blabing about, young squire. 4 9.76%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jul 16, 2006, 4:54 PM   #1

It may be just my poor understanding of things but as far as I see and understand things, the math is pretty simple: xD is kinda outdated, why not go SD?
Why shouldn't Fuji go SD? I mean, the SDs have got a higher capacity and they got a pretty good read/write speed (possibly even better than the xD) and you can find one at every media shop plus you can get sweet deals as there are so many manufacturers and so therefore so many units available at all times.
Why is Fuji even considering the xD? As far as I know, the xD's maximum available capacity is 1GB, so why not SD?
Anyway, I'd love to see what all of you Fuji users out there think about this one. Vote, if you please.
zygh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 16, 2006, 5:49 PM   #2

You're kidding, right? Fuji is the company who started the xD "revolution". I don't think you will ever see them abandoning it. When it was introduced, Fuji promised cards as big as 8 GB. That hasn't been realized yet, but they are apparently working in that direction with the introduction of the type H high-capacity cards. If you don't like xD then maybe you should take a look at another brand of camera. I really doubt Fuji will abandon a format they pioneered and are actively developing.
jphess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2006, 6:00 PM   #3

I did not know they started the "xD revolution". jphess. What do you think about the poll question? What is your opinion on the matter? Vote, please. It will beinteresting to see what the poll tells us on the matter.

As far as P&S, I would never switch to another brand, thank you very much. At least, not as long as Fuji has got such fine products as the F10, F11, F30 and now the newly introduced S6500 and F20. I absolutely admire and love what the F10 did for the compact digicam world. If I was to abandon my F10 it would be only to get a F30.

I chose the F10 in spite of the fact that it usesxD.

Just to be clear on the matter, what exactly does the "revolution" consist of? I mean, why shouldsomething be replaced if it works perfect as it is? Meaning the wholeSD forxDtrade off. I just don't see what the xD brings to that table that the SD hasn't already brought and perfected.
Old Jul 16, 2006, 6:24 PM   #4

Maybe "revolution" was a poor choice of words, but Fuji is the one who pioneered the xD technology, and Olympus has now joined with them. The technology has been around for several years, so I think the development has gone more slowly than was originally anticipated. I'm using an S9000, which accommodates both the xD and the CF card. I have purchased a couple of 1 GB CF cards that I use almost exclusively with the camera. Only occasionally do I use xD. xD is pretty good technology, I guess, but it is too expensive, just as you say. I will vote in your poll, but what is the point of doing so? You buy just about any Fuji camera now, and you embrace the xD technology. As far as I can see, that isn't going to change.

The trouble is, I looked at your poll and none of your answers apply to how I feel. I really don't have any opinion about it. The first Fuji digital camera I purchased was the little 2600, two megapixels, 3x zoom, and it used the SD card. When the 2650 was introduced, it was with the xD technology, and there have been complaints ever since. But that doesn't seem to persuade Fuji to abandon the format. That would be comparable to expecting Kodak to stop making film during the heyday of the film camera business.
jphess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2006, 6:27 PM   #5

I agree, this poll won't change anything. I just thought it was a good idea to see what the actual Fujifilm digital camera owners' opinion on the matter is.

jphess, thanks for taking the time!
Old Jul 16, 2006, 6:42 PM   #6

If you don't like xD than do as I did for my s9500, buy a CF adaptor to SD and now I can use SD cards in my Fuji ... but one 4 Mb SD card is more expensive than two 2Mb SD cards ... and the new 8 Mb card is prohibitive expensive still
belgian pie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2006, 8:05 PM   #7

belgian pie, I believe you're talking GB and not MB.
And as for my F10, it only uses xD, no CF.
Old Jul 16, 2006, 9:53 PM   #8

Thanks, still a habbit of thinking in MB ... GB it should be ... sorry, but I was supposing that your cam took CF's too
belgian pie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2006, 4:26 PM   #9

I also bought the F10 in spite of the XD card. It's not really that big of a deal though, is it? I got a 512mb XD card for $40 and it will hold well over 300 shots. I could NEVER get film that cheap (before processing) and xd is re-useable. I mean it's not the absolute steal that a SD card is right now, but I can't really complain about a product that pays for itself the first use and can be used nearly infinately.
Mercury694 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2006, 5:08 PM   #10

Yeah, I guess you are right, Mercury694, but still, why are manufacturers like Sony and Fuji smarter than everyone else? The SD is perfectly adapted for camera needs. Speaking about the xD, it is really falling behind compared to the SD in price, capacity and availability.

Sony at least provides with MemorySticks greater than 1GB but with the xD you're stuck to 1GB. Still, a camera's performance is much more importanta than the recording mediumit uses.

Why aren't you people votingin the poll?!?! C'mon, lemme see yourthoughts on the matter! :|