Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Aug 28, 2006, 9:10 PM   #11

Hi Audacious,

Perhaps the new Fuji s9100 might fill the bill for you? the new specs show an improvement in its performance from the s9000:

s9000:
shutterlag
- 0.5 seconds, and (according to cnet) 0.9 seconds in more difficult low contrast light. Start-up: 1.6 seconds.

For the S9100:
Shutterlag
: 0.01 seconds

Start-up: 0.8 seconds :-)

Quite a bit better in the performance department if you can count on these figures. If they hold true in the upcoming reviews on steves, dpreviews.com and dcresource.com, this would be a welcome improvement. Hope this is of some help to you or others. I also hope that the write speed to the card will also speed up quite a bit too, as well as better functioning menu and quick ability to get to RAW for instance, as well as improved ability to more easily use RAW too. Lets see what the new algorithms can do to make the s9100 an even better camera.

Another plus for the new s9100: the new LCD, at first I was disappointed to learn that the LCD was enlarged only 0.2 inches... then when I saw that the resolution jumped from 118,000 pixels to 235,000, then it was easy to see that the improvement in resolution should be a great deal better over that of the s9000. I think folks shoud be getting a much improved camera in this area.

Best Regards

Hope you guys don't mind the goofy emoticons, I couldn't resist...
nic11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2006, 11:31 AM   #12

I found out by translating the Japanese owners manual of the Fuji S6000 that the voice recording is only available on Playback mode. Probably the same for the entire S-series, therefore including the about-to-be-released S9100, which is also looking like a great camera and more reason to get confused about camera selection?

I know the feeling and the need for clarity. Somehow I think the various camera company market research teams suffersfrom lack of clarity. Sure, provide variety, and the point and shoot market is oversupplied with toys, but the high end prosumer market is frustrating so many people who don't want to switch to SLR and lose preview, audio, video, etc., even though the SLR's typically reduce noise. Sub-SLR cameras are almost a waste at 400ISO and higher, but that's getting better all the time. I used to be angry young photographer, me hiding me head in the aperture. You gave me the word, I finally heard, I'm enhancing as much as I can.

Digital needs another3 years before it gets its act together and we have something like the S9100 with the performance capacity of the Canon 5D, for $500 US.

WE WANT FULL FRAMECMOS CHIPS IN OUR CAMERAS!!!!!
Robert Johnston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2006, 2:23 PM   #13

Robert, I have been trying to understand your need, but I still am not seeing why it is that you need the voice recording to be activated in the record mode. I am not suggesting that you don't, I'm just trying to understand your workflow and how such a feature would fit into it. Could you please explain?
jphess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2006, 2:57 PM   #14

The company I work with takes hundreds of photos each day, of real estate. Sometimes hitting 1000 a day, certainly averaging about 500-700 daily per photographer. We take the photo and then must have a guarantee that the address is in perfect sync with the photo, so if the camera (such as the Minolta Dimage series in the past) starts recording audio automatically after the photo is taken, the photographer speaks the address and it's a certainly the quality of work cannot suffer. Due to the awkwardness, liklihood of breaking the camera controlsand not wanting to encourage any human error, we cannot use a camera if the voice recording is only available in Playback mode. Efficiency and speed on the street is critical.

To a person only taking 50 shots a day, audio on Playback mode would be suitable, but not for what we do.

The business we are in demands precision, so there is no other way to do this. Human error cannot be allowed to enter the process at this point, there's enough of it in data entry later.

I can't see that this is a unique need. Surely others in businesses creating databases of any kind would prefer the audio to be automatic in order to assure a perfect sync of information to photo. It would be ideal if the camera let the user choose how the audio was created; auto on Record mode or manual on Playback.
Robert Johnston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2006, 5:00 PM   #15

If there is another camera on the market that will do this, why don't you just purchase that camera?
jphess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2006, 6:39 PM   #16

I'm kinda in the same boat. I was leaning heavily toward the Panasonic FZ30, but I hate propriatary batteries, and every praise I've read for that camera is for the camera...NOT the pictures it produces.

I am now thinking it will be between the Fuji S9100 and the Fuji S6000fd. I like the S5200 also, but I REALLY want manual zoom and manual focus on lens rings. If I had a "wish list" for Fuji, it would include: SD card instead of xD, and true optical image stabilization. Oh well, maybe someday. But for now I'll just have to decide between the S9100 and the S6000fd.
gadgetnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2006, 2:31 PM   #17

I purchased the s6000 through amazon. It is suppose to ship on Aug 31, and be at my home on Sept 01. I did 1 day shipping. I chose the s6000 over the s9000 because for me I thought the s6000 would be easier to learn and work with. I feel that I have made a good decision. I wish you luck on deciding, it is pretty tough
~Belle~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2006, 3:13 PM   #18

Here's my two-cents worth - Mr.Jingles, you're totally wrong. If you use your D-50 in the Auto mode, you're just as much a point-and-shooter as someone with an entry-level Kodak. In my opinion, the term point-and-shoot SHOULD NOT be used to describe a camera with manual setting options, rather it should be a description of any so-called photographer who leaves his or her camera in the Auto mode, no matter what it is.

Belle, I think you made the perfect choice. I hope you enjoy your new S6000.
toshi43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2006, 3:48 PM   #19

Thanks Toshi, I can not wait until I get it in. I am having my kids birthday party this weekend and now all I have to figure out, is what settings to shoot in. It will be an indoor party. Do you have any suggestions?
~Belle~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2006, 8:36 PM   #20

Here's my 2 cents:

I was looking for 6+ months for a new digital camera for mostly 4x6 and some 8x10(favorite shots). I started out looking at the compacts, they did not have enough zoom. The next were ultra zooms, nice but expensive. Looked at the DSLRs, very expensive. I mean I tried and tested and retested in about 6 different stores every available camera. Every price range.

I bought the Fuji s5200. Great value, great pics.

(Fuji fanatics stop reading now!)

The camera was great. Light weight, good quality pics. Thing is, I got caught up in this photography bug. Two months go by. I started noticing the camera was missing shots(little tikes running) could not focus fast enough. Highlights blasted on bright days, F8 max. Files coming off XD card into computer were slow and largest you could get was 1GB. I could not get close enough for macro shots. Manual focusing is impossible with the low res EVF, especially with too much light coming in on sunny days. The DOF could not get short enough for Portraits at F 3.8. After a while the camera felt too small in my hands(and I have small hands).

I bought a DSLR and reluctantly sold the s5200. Body only was same as what I paid for the S5200. I am happier, but the DSLR I bought still has slowish AF and I still get blasted highlights often. I do have more flexibility but as it stands now I have had to buy 3 lenses to better the s5200. I don't have a movie mode, which was one of my first reasons to buy a new camera.

The s6000fd has many features on paper that interest me. It upgrades quite a few of the issues I had with the s5200 including:
manual focusing ring
2.8 max aperture
high res EVF(presumably)
larger size overall
28mm wide angle
256 zone TTL metering
2GB XD(high speed I hope)

This camera looks as close to a dslr as ever there has been with a lightweigh compact body. I am interested to see the test results. I'd like a simple camera that will let me get creative also.

Sorry for the long post. Hope this helps someone.

Jon
jabilson007 is offline   Reply With Quote