Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Jul 24, 2006, 3:19 PM   #1

For all you Fuji users, I need your help. I am in the market to purchase a new camera. I really like what I have read about the s9000 as well as the s6000 that will hit the market in September. I need your help in helping me decided which one to purchase. I really like the swivel and auto adjusting LCD as well as the dual method fast action illuminator. I currently use a basic Nikon Coolpix 2100. This will be a huge upgrade. I am not looking to become professional. I really enjoy taking pictures of my children, family and friends.

Please help!!!

Thanks,

~Belle~
~Belle~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 24, 2006, 8:10 PM   #2

S6000 will be a better "point & shoot" but the S9000 hasgreater resolution and features for advanced amateurs. Two different cameras for two different types of users.
honus402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2006, 10:20 AM   #3

honus402,

Thanks for your help. The s9000 has about 30% higher resolution. Do you think this is significant enough to make a huge difference. I like that the features of the s9000 can be more for advancedamateurs but that also scares me.I would be one of these people who is ready to ship it back for product default.:lol:

I have seen sample pictures of the s9000 and it is AWESOME!!!

The quality and sharpness is beyond what I imagined. Do you own an s9000?

Old Jul 25, 2006, 12:54 PM   #4

to be honest, the s9000 actually doesn't sharpen the images very strong by default. i often have to pp my pics to get pleasing results. that's just my personal opinion.
michael1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2006, 4:52 PM   #5

I must say that I really like my S9000. But I think you should be aware that it is NOT a point and shoot camera. Although my wife has had a lot of fun taking pictures of the grandkids using the AUTO mode, other types of photography typically require a lot of postprocessing to maximize the quality of the images. I'm not trying to discourage you from getting one, but you need to be prepared to work a little bit to get the most out of the camera. On the surface, the new model looks like it might be a little easier to use in some respects. I suspect there will not be a lot of difference in image quality. The difference in megapixel counts is not really significant, I don't believe. Unfortunately, the S9000 has been getting a less than stellar reputation, being criticized a lot by people who have never used one. The camera takes beautiful images. You just need to learn how to use it.
jphess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2006, 6:53 PM   #6

Thanks for all your help.

I think based on what I have readI will wait for the s6000. I think going from a pretty basic camera to something with the upgrades such as the s9000 will be overwhelming for me. I do love the quality of the pictures (s9000) that I have viewed and I don't think (hoping) the difference will be very significant from the s6000.

Once again, thank you!!!

~Belle~
Old Aug 7, 2006, 10:33 AM   #7

I have beendeliberating aboutbuying a more versatile camera since my A95 died. My digitals, unlike those of many other persons, don't seem to last beyond 2 years. Casio QV-3000EX, Minolta Dimage F100, Canon A95 - they all died. So I started looking and I just had to have the S9000 because of the user reviews. But wait a minute, you have to do post-processing to get the most out of this camera? I am lazy, so maybe I will get the S3 ISand I will then have the top-of-class video included.But the quality of the Pana FZ5 is almost as good and it is on sale for peanuts. Wait, the FZ7 is better and cost just a little more. No, better get the Sony H2 that one forum says has the best picture of all the long zooms. Hey, look here! The S5200 is pretty darn good and is going for a song. But the S6000 will soon be out and it is bound to be better.And what about the cheaper dslr's whichproduce an even better photo?

Going crazy? Yes. Stop. What doI really want.
1. I want to be able to take action shots of a sport in a hall where the light is not the best. This means Fuji or a dslr. (Fujiseems to beundeniably the best non-dslr in low light.)
2. I want to take short videos of the same sport. Canon S3 IS? Or maybe it should be Fuji again because of the lighting - not sure but definitely not dslr.
3. I want to take regular pictures and experiment with macros. Almost any camera, with dslr having a performance edge and the P & S cameras being more convenient.
It looks likeFuji then- butwhich Fuji. The F30 is getting rave reviews. But I need the long zoom. So is it the S9000, S5200 or S6000? I wouldn't want to be among the first to buy the S6000 and pay the inflated first time price and I need the camera now. Maybe I will consider it sometime later depending on the reviews. The S9000 is going to demand more from me than I am probably willing to give at this time. The S5200? It's relatively cheap - half the price of theother two- and nobody seems to have anything bad to say about it apart from Fuji's lack of an IS system on all of it's cameras. And the quality of the 5200 would seem to be such that it should not be difficult to sell if I decided to upgrade. Or maybe I will wind up with a dslr to complement the 5200. Who knows what the future will bring?

That was easy. HopeI like my S5200 when it arrives later this week. Having said that, if I were more into photography as I was in my college days, I would definetly have gone with the S9000. It's a great feeling when you put insome work and produce something (a photo) nearing perfection.

I also think belle's choice of the S6000 was correct for her situation especially if she is not in a hurry to buy it and if she would not prefer the smaller size (and smaller zoom) of the F10 or F30.
Audacious 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2006, 11:53 AM   #8

Thanks Audacious!!! I really hope you enjoy your s5200. Send some sample pictures.

Old Aug 11, 2006, 2:34 PM   #9

Hi,

The S9000/9500 is a point and shoot camera, it is not a dslr camera and will never perform like a dslr. I got rid of my S9500 and got a Nikon D50.

Martin
Mr.Jingles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2006, 12:42 PM   #10

I am in search of a few critical facts about the Fuji S6000, so I would appreciate it if anyone knows these things if they could post the info. Specifically, 1) does the S6000 have audio with the still and ON RECORD MODE (critical!), 2) will it have an AEL button or just exposure compensation and 3) does it have an automatic review of the image just taken?

The camera is to be released in September, but I'm under time pressurein a business anddon't want to wait until reviews are out many weeks from now. Fuji's website doesn't yet have the fine user details or manuals available.

Cheers!
Robert Johnston is offline   Reply With Quote