Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Oct 6, 2006, 12:04 AM   #11

It looks to me like you have a basic focusing problem. It just isn't in focus. I know that it is rather difficult to focus on the moon, so I just turned the focus a little and took a picture. I repeated that process several times. It's hard to tell for sure, at least for me. I only got one good photo from my shoot last night. I found that I had to remove my UV filter in order to get anything in focus. That are you using a UV or a skylight filter? If you are, try removing the filter.

Another question, what ISO, shutter speed and aperture were you using? There is no EXIF information in your images.
jphess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2006, 9:55 AM   #12

ISO 100, 1/400" F5.6 Manual Focus. No UV len used.
lsifs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2006, 10:50 AM   #13

Mine was taken in raw mode, ISO 100,1/250 sec., f/5.6. Processed first with Adobe Camera Raw, three different sharpening modes were applied in Photoshop. My only suggestion is the same one I offered previously. Focus as best you can, take the picture, turn the focusing ring about 1/4 turn, take another, repeat process. I took about 10 photographs, and the one I posted was the only good one that I got. You just have to keep trying until you get what you want.
Old Oct 6, 2006, 9:37 PM   #14

I'll try again either tonight or tomorrow night, and the best one will be posted.

Thanks
Old Oct 7, 2006, 12:16 AM   #15

This the best picture I have. ISO 100 F4.6 1/640 Jpeg. No post process, just crop.

I used the same settings but in RAW, the pictures came out over exposed if open by Photoshop CS2 (with camera raw plugin 3.5), butas the same as JPEG when view in the camera.
Attached Images

Old Oct 7, 2006, 11:35 AM   #16

Well, you're getting closer. I still say it is primarily a focusing issue. I suggest that you just take a few more photos and turn the focusing ring in smaller increments.

I always find that Camera Raw displays my raw images overexposed. That is just something that I have accepted. The camera Adobe used to build the profile must have produced different results than the standard production models. There are procedures to calibrate Camera Raw, but I haven't taken that time to do them. I just make an exposure and shadow adjustment, and then copy those raw settings to the rest of the images and then go from there.

Other than that, I don't know what to tell you. Are your regular photographs of other subjects acceptable to you? If they are, then it's just a matter of keeping at it until you get what you want. I really don't have a magical formula. My first moonshots with my 5100 were horrible. And the ones with my 9000 weren't much better at first. Not that they are anything spectacular now. I think the auxiliary lenses might help a little bit, but Fuji doesn't recommend using them on the 9000. And I wouldn't use them enough to justify purchasing them anyway. I think moonshots are difficult with cameras at the level we are using. My son-in-law tried with his Nikon D70, and he wouldn't even show me any of the pictures. He purchased a couple of what he calls "professional" lenses and he has problems too.
Old Oct 7, 2006, 8:19 PM   #17

Ooooh, here is a picture I just took of the moon! Literally hanging out of a friend's window withmy S5600: 10x Zoom, Shutter 1/1000, F3.2, ISO 64... (the moon itself was amazingly bright)
Attached Images

kidscruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2006, 12:16 AM   #18

Here is one I took a few hours ago during my first "moon shooting" session with my S9000 + TCON17 .
It was captured RAW (and cropped) at ISO 80 , F/8 , 1/80 s .
Focus was set to AUTO (single). Manual mode was used[img]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/ADMINI%7E1/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot.jpg[/img]. Camera was on a tripod and set for a 10-second delay (to minimize shake). Some post processing was applied.

BTW, having owned both an S5200/S5600 and an S9000/S9500 (in that order), I am under the distinct impression that low light and/or low contrast focussing is both faster and more reliable with the S5200/S5600 than with the S9000/S9500.
Maybe this has to do with the S5200's lower resolution, its smaller sensor size (greater DOF) or the fact that it is a newer design than the S9000. I wonder how well the S9100/S9600 does in this respect. It may also be that my S9000 is a dud .

Darry[img]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/ADMINI%7E1/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot-1.jpg[/img][img]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/ADMINI%7E1/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot-2.jpg[/img]
Attached Images

darry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2006, 3:24 PM   #19

I tried this with my s5600 on full zoom hand held still waiting for my tripod.

Rock.....

:homey:
Attached Images

the rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2006, 3:32 PM   #20

Tryed to see if I can darken it down in ps.

Rock....

:homey:
Attached Images

the rock is offline   Reply With Quote