Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Jul 25, 2006, 11:34 AM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 9
Default

ok assuming that my s9500 is agood one and its not going to pack in on me ive been thinking about getting an external battery pack device as seen on ebay ..was wondering if anyone else has used such adevice and what thier thoughts on it are,

chhers

harry
henryhtc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 25, 2006, 5:40 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 1,063
Default

I have a hunch that they would be more bother then they are worth. A set of 2500 MaH rechargeable batteries is usually good for a little over 200 images. So if you carried a couple of extra sets you should be OK. Another option for backup would be to have a set of the lithium disposable batteries. I have read reports of people getting about 700 images from a set of those. Anyway, two or three sets of rechargeables would be my choice. But then I suppose we all have different ideas.
jphess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2006, 7:37 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 111
Default

I agree with jphess. Since the camera uses AA batteries, an external battery pack is almost useless. Have a couple of spare sets of rechargables and you'll be all set.
Wolverine@MSU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2006, 9:36 AM   #4
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 9
Default

hi I go along witht he use of rechargeables aa's for normal usage but just after i go the camera i took it out to a family get together ..and got landed as unoffical photgrapher for the night ..

I had abundle of spare batts with me but haadnt an external flash unit so the batts where taking a hammering...

and quickly where going through without much warning from the batt indicator ..one minute ok next picce i took..boom batts dead ...

I was just about to take a presentation photo ..flowers being handed over evryone about to clap..and boomp batts died ...now being family we just laughed it off...reloaded fresh batts and took piccie....

however if I had had an external batt pack i wouldnt have had this problem and hence wa wondering if anyone else has tried the one for sale on ebay



cheers



harry
henryhtc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2006, 10:42 AM   #5
Junior Member
 
THE_LoneWolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 21
Default

I've been toying with the idea of building my own external battery pack after taking my S9000 along with the kit I used for a commercial photo shoot. I got something on the order of only 75 shots from a fresh set of AA shooting in raw format and using only the electronic viewfinder before I got a low power warning. As it happened my spare batteries were on the other side of the building 2 floors down which made retrieving them a bit of a pain.

I was thinking a set of 4 or maybe even 8 NiMH D cells in a carrier wouldn't be too difficult to rig up. If I can't find some ready made holders for the batteries it won't be too hard to make my own. I already have a charger that'll handle the D size cells so the cost won't be much more than the cost of the new batteries and a few inexpensive parts.

I figure a rig like that should give me enough juice to fill at least a couple 4 gig CF cards.

THE_LoneWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2006, 11:28 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 1,063
Default

I suppose it is all a matter of whatever floats your boat. It seems to me that if you go to a shoot prepared, a couple of extra sets of rechargeable batteries should be enough. But then I would probably have a set of lithium disposable batteries as well. Personally, that seems easier than fiddling with an external battery pack. But if that's what will solve your problem, then go for it.
jphess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2006, 9:06 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 111
Default

THE_LoneWolf wrote:
Quote:
I was thinking a set of 4 or maybe even 8 NiMH D cells in a carrier wouldn't be too difficult to rig up. If I can't find some ready made holders for the batteries it won't be too hard to make my own. I already have a charger that'll handle the D size cells so the cost won't be much more than the cost of the new batteries and a few inexpensive parts.

I figure a rig like that should give me enough juice to fill at least a couple 4 gig CF cards.

You can get a 4 D battery holder from Radio Shack for less than $2 and probably about the same for a plug that will fit the external power supply port. You'll probably need to extend the wires between the holder and plug so that you can keep the pack in a pocket or something.
Wolverine@MSU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2006, 10:14 AM   #8
Junior Member
 
THE_LoneWolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 21
Default

[email protected] wrote:
Quote:
You can get a 4 D battery holder from Radio Shack for less than $2 and probably about the same for a plug that will fit the external power supply port. You'll probably need to extend the wires between the holder and plug so that you can keep the pack in a pocket or something.
Yup, I figured that's where I'd seen the holders. Since the majority of my photographic work is static and the camera is always tripod mounted, I can suspend the battery pack from centre post of the tripod.


THE_LoneWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2006, 10:34 AM   #9
Junior Member
 
THE_LoneWolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 21
Default

jphess wrote:
Quote:
I suppose it is all a matter of whatever floats your boat. It seems to me that if you go to a shoot prepared, a couple of extra sets of rechargeable batteries should be enough. But then I would probably have a set of lithium disposable batteries as well. Personally, that seems easier than fiddling with an external battery pack. But if that's what will solve your problem, then go for it.
Oh, I WAS prepared. I had everything I needed. It was the first time I'd tested the endurance of the S9000 under actual working conditions though and being more used to the longevity of the batteries in my dSLR I was caught with my pants down with the Fuji. What with the logistics of carrying two sets of cameras and tripods around, together with the demands of the shoot, the thought of popping my spare batteries into my pockets never even entered my mind. Now I know better. Chalk one up to experience being the best teacher.


THE_LoneWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 6:30 PM.